What's the best GPU aircooler?

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited June 2004 in Hardware
I'm RMA'ing my Ati 9800pro today for a newer one. Last night after adding ramsinks it decided to go beely up with garbage all over the screen.

So ...I'm planning on getting a newer cooler for it since I don't have to buy a new one so what do you recommend???

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    either this or this
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I like the Zalman, because there's no fan that can eventually fail.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I have the ZALMAN Heatpipe VGA Cooler, Model "ZM80C-HP" already with the zmop1 fan and it is ok. I may try the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, Model "AVC-1000 REV.3" however. Once I get the card in I will see what kind of simple overclock I can do ...if I can achieve 387/387 on stock cooling with arctic silver I won't apply the zalman again. I will probably order the VGA silencer just to give it a try ...if I get equal to the zalman in cooling I will probably stick with it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Hey Chris I have one that you could have for $12 shipped to your door. I personally never used it. I got it in a deal with GnomeWizardd. LMK.
    edited June 2004
    pm or email me and we'll discuss it ...
    edited June 2004
    PM sent
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2004
    Never tried the Zalman, but the VGA Silencer is excellent. I've heard stories of the Zalman snapping the card/putting too much stress on the AGP slot, but if you're careful it should be fine. The Silencer is very nice, and looks cool, too. I just wish I had an r360 so I could really make use of it...:(
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:

If by *cough* you mean "shameless self-promotion" then yeah, cough is right. ;)

Just pullin' yer leg. That really is a pretty helpful thread, if you feel like a DIY.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    If by *cough* you mean "shameless self-promotion" then yeah, cough is right. ;)

;D;D You should know by now that I'm always up for a bit of "shameless self-promotion" ;):D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    ;D;D You should know by now that I'm always up for a bit of "shameless self-promotion" ;):D

And I thought it was hairballs from all those cats.
    ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Chris,

Don't dump more into air cooling if you are planning on going water like I thought you were planning.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited June 2004
    What kind of ram on that 9800pro that lets you get up that high? I can only get to like 350 before the artifacts start showin up. My core gets up to about 460 IIRC (at work right now) on the zalman. BTW I have an ATI 9800p 128.
    edited June 2004
    croc_ wrote:
    What kind of ram on that 9800pro that lets you get up that high? I can only get to like 350 before the artifacts start showin up. My core gets up to about 460 IIRC (at work right now) on the zalman. BTW I have an ATI 9800p 128.
    normally on cooler days I run 393/393 ...the ram is samsung ...that does the trick.
    I doubt the new card will have the samsung ram so I'll be struggling on the ram end ...340 I think is stock nowadays.
    Can you believe I fried that great card?
    Actually it was teh crappy PSU's fault ...so I ordered a trueblue 480!

This rivatuner 16mb pci is the pits but I can make do for a week or so ...I will miss ET sadly though. :bawling:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Just letting you know that rev 3 mmonin has works great. I used it for maybe a month on my 9800pro before i slapped WC block on it. It is the best choice IMO!
    edited June 2004
    Yes ...I just read about it also!
    Basically as Marc will find out from my responses ...I was concerned about the fan being an intake or an exhaust. I really do not need another dust magnet in that case since I have both of my intakes filtered and I still get more that my share of dust.
    However ...I just read that the fan exhausts so I'm glad about that ...now I just need to find out how Marc wants payment!

I have a few other questions though and Gnome you're just the guy to ask.

I noticed what looks like a thermistor or extra lead ...can that be omitted or do I have to use it?

Also ...the toggle on back ...can I omit that as well and just leave the fan full force always?

Doesn't matter as long as it exhausts I'll take it!!!
    edited June 2004
    This is what you will get. Its not the version with the double PCI back panel thingy. Just asingle for the exhaust vent. There is a switch high and low, you can always leave it on high. I dont see a thermister so dont worry about that.

I have a R8500 so this doesnt fit my video card.
    edited June 2004
    Sounds like a plan Marc ...now if I can figure out how to get it from paypal to you we are in business!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    yes sir exaust! man my baby is making its rounds through the SM community!
    edited June 2004
    I cant use it so someone else might as well.:)

Replied Chris.
    edited June 2004
    They say it's quieter than ATi's fan .. but I'm not sure exactly how MUCH quieter, even on low. Either way it's pretty darn near silent for me.

/me still feels like pissing and moaning about his r350 core :p
    edited June 2004
    I read that its as quiet on high but its a lot better for cooling. The same review said the cooling was the same as stock at low speed but quieter.
    edited June 2004
    Yes here is the chart where they make the claim to be at the same noise level as the stock cooling when set to the high level.

If there is one thing I've noticed since removing the 9800Pro128 w/ zm80chp it's that the heat level has dropped a good 4-5C easily. This tells me that even thought I'm getting a fair overclock which is all I'm after ...I am also dissapating the heat from the card directly into the case ...which in turn heats up the cpu, nb, ram, etc. If I can remove at least some of the heat from the vpu it will be worth it ...even if I don't run as strong of an OC. As a matter of fact ...I'm not expecting to be able to OC the ram on this card as well as the older one did. It's just left to be seen!!!

Marc check your paypal account.
    AC3.JPG 79.3K
    edited June 2004
    Yeah i've read that. I guess even on low I can't hear a difference is what I'm saying.