Computer freezing, seems unstable.

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Do PSU's show signs before they crap out completely? My computer suddenly likes crashing, or even restarting out of nowhere. No shutting down. Just Windows one second, a half-second lock, then BIOS the next. I think it's a problem with my processor not getting the voltage it requires. I've posted a while ago about my PSU, but with no money I can't get a new PSU. I think this is only happening under load, so I'm gonna go ahead and turn off one folding console for now. It freezes on the desktop while doing nothing but folding, and it happens in games, so I REALLY think my system is quite unstable. I've even released the overclock (239 MHz FSB) and put it back down to 200 MHz. Even at stock speed, it still crashes. This only started happening yesterday, and by reducing my system's speeds I thought I had fixed it, but that's not the case.

I'll post my ASUS Probe... My processor can't get it's rated voltage even at 200MHz fsb, and my 12v rail is very low under load. As you can see, it has nothing to do with my temperatures. Any help? Thoughts, opinions? Anything would help right about now. :(

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    That 12v is complete ****.

I suggest changing your PSU before it goes, taking half your computer with it.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    HOPEFULLY that +12v rail is being misread. You need to get a multimeter and check the actual voltage.

In the meantime:
    Try bumping the VCore on the CPU 1 notch above the stock voltage.
    Return everything to stock speeds, not just the CPU
    Start disconnecting stuff- fans in particular. That CPU will be just fine at 50-55*C, so you don't need to worry too much about temps.

What brand and wattage of power supply is it?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    Everything is at stock speeds and voltages. The fsb speed, vcore, and vdimm is all I had above normal, until today. Everything's normal now. I'll try playing with vcore and unplugging fans later. There's only 2 in the case, not counting the cpu fan. I got rid of the cathode a while ago, but that didn't help much.

My PSU is here. It came with the case.
    edited July 2004
    That may well be why. Is the air coming out of that PS warm at all?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Interesting that that PSU doesn't give a breakdown of the combined outputs. I doubt that all the lines are independent on it...

If you don't have that much cash, a 400W Powmax PSU should hold you over until you can afford something good like an Antec.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Geeky, you know as well as I that misreadings of the PSU of quite rare.
    edited July 2004
    The air from the PSU is so slightly warmer than the air coming from the exhaust fan behind my processor. Given that asus probe isn't misreading my temperatures it's about 105-110*F. That's 40-42*C. Could be off. The temps in this room have cooled a bit recently. I can't put any numbers to it though.
    edited July 2004
    Hrm. Then you have basically two choices:
    1: replace the PSU
    2: check with a multimeter to make sure that the voltages are that far off.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Thrax, my 12v is reading 11.43 now, but if i put a multimeter in there, it is rock solid at 12.08-12.1. Never varies much from there. btw, TheGr81, do you mean fsb of 229? 239 would be much higher...
    Odd thing is that this has started happening to me, too. I used to hit 3.2 on stock voltage, but now I'm at 1.6 just to stay at 3.17ghz. I guess several other people have noticed their chips wearing out quicker, too ... :-/
    edited July 2004
    One thing I think I should add... When I was overclocking, I put the vcore in bios to the max this mobo will allow. That's 1.6v. In bios, and in windows not under load, asus probe actually read close to 1.6v. Under load, though, it would drop to about 1.5v, still UNDER the rated voltage of the chip. I don't have a multimeter handy, and I've been wanting to replace the PSU for some time now.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant 229 MHz fsb.
    edited July 2004
    Then you need to just replace the power supply. Don't wait and order one from newegg, go to best buy or wherever and get one now. IF that voltage is right (and without a multimeter you have no way of knowing), you're running a serious risk of damaging components in the system, and if that PSU dies, it could take everything in the case with it.

Get a GOOD 400w+ power supply- Antec, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Allied, etc.
    edited July 2004
    Ok, unplugging fans and setting voltage up a notch helps none. This sucks. I need money. :( After this though, I can say that I will never cheap out on a PSU again, even if it thinks it can put out some power.