Okay, so... now what?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
My Übermäßiger Machine is finally functional. Currently it is @ 11x150 (1650MHz) because I haven't changed the multis yet... Anyhow, so... I've got firedaemon on it. How do I run 2 F@H clients?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    First, each gets its own folder. With Windows, it is easiest to run one graphical and one console client.

At that point, if the Windows you have SMPs right with those CPUs each client should go to one CPU.

What I would be tempted to do would be to run the graphical one first, make sure it is running right, then install a console and run both for a while and see if the throughput (processing effectiveness) from the graphical client halves-- if not, then they are being SMPed reasonably well and you need do nothing more.

It might also be best to assign one client to machine 1 and one to machine 2 if you want to have them both pickup and send automaticly-- which should work unless they try to both do that at once with only one Internet connection, at which point I am not sure what priority would be used to give one a connect and the other not a connect.

Hmmm... Maybe a second NIC to router to modem???

Unless you want to try out a BSD or Linux SMP kernel.... :) And run 2 clients on BSD or Linux.... ;)

The only thing that might be overly excessive (Ubermasiger) is the rate at which your box kills off (completes)WUs. But it will rock for graphics or digital photo work while folding like a banshee.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    No with Firedaemon the clients MUST be consoles. Each in own folders, with different machine IDs and -local tag.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    Ah... couple issues that I'm running into:

1. I can only install 1 service with FireDaemon Lite
    2. 1 console & 1 gui doesn't work.
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2003
    Give me a couple of minutes to write & find some stuff :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    its simple...all u have to do is havfe two different consoles in two different directories...
    when asked for change advanced options ctype in "yes" give one of thos a cpu id of 1 and the other a cpu id of 2....
    edited July 2003
    yea, that works... but one client and one gui doesn't. Now the question is how to run them as a service because I refuse to have two DOS boxes open all the time. Since FireDaemon will only let me create 1 service, what do i do about the other one?
    edited July 2003
    As mmonnin said...

2 different directories
    2 different Machine IDs

Run both (1 at a time) and configure them. Then download the ZIP (below), extract it and you'll have 2 directories ("F@H 1" & "F@H 2")

Open one at a time and edit the following:

NOTE: Make SURE you keep track of the directories so you don't mix them up.

Blue - F@H Client Number. No editing needed. 1 & 2 will be used.
    Red - Edit to your directories or desired flags

Edit folding.reg
    "REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Folding@Home_1\parameters]
    Application"="C:\\FAH_PATH_HERE\\FAH3Console.exe"
    "AppDirectory"="C:\\FAH_PATH_HERE"
    "AppParameters"="-local -advmethods -forceasm"

Edit install.cmd

WARNING: Be careful NOT to run it, but right click and EDIT it.
    @echo off

copy "folding.reg" "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\"
    regedit /s "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\folding.reg"

::Copy FOLDING service files (\...\ = path)
    copy "instsrv.exe" "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\"
    copy "srvany.exe" "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\"
    copy "netsvc.exe" "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\"
    echo .
    echo Wait till files copied
    echo .
    pause
    ::Install FOLDING executable as NT Service
    "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\instsrv.exe" Folding@Home_1 "C:\FAH_PATH_HERE\srvany.exe"
    pause
    net start Folding@Home_1
    pause

goto end
    :error
    echo.
    echo Format is: install.CMD
    echo
    echo.
    goto end

:end

If you need more help, PM me :) All these color and bold tags, I might have skipped a step :eek:
    fah.zip 49.2K
    edited July 2003
    Oh forgot the credit:

I don't know who to give proper credit to for writing the programs and such. The site I downloaded it from went down a while back & I have no idea what it was..

I just held on to the ZIP :)
    edited July 2003
    2CPU.com

Looked @ it over there, but it made no sense. Now that I read it with it all colorized and stuff, it makes sense. Trying it now. Tnx.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ok,and if that is difficult, look at bottom half of page here:

http://ter.dbestern.net/install.php
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Oh yeah I ran into this yesterday, you cannot run more than one service with Firedaemon Lite and they HAVE to be consoles with firedaemon.