KT333 and Mobile Bartons?

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Are mobile Bartons unlocked on all chipsets, or just the Nforce2? A friend of mine is considering one for his KT333-based board.

No, he is not going to upgrade his board for any reason. If the mobile won't work unlocked, we'll just get him a locked desktop chip.

Comments

• edited July 2004
    I wouldn't see why it shouldn't work, but you might not have bios multi options higher than 12.5 with that old KT333 chipset. I would think that any board that can run a Barton proc and has multi adjustments should run it fine. You could also probably pinmod a higher multi than 12.5 but I'm just guessing there.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    hold everything, I didn't think that the K333 would run anthing faster than a 266 FSB. Yes, I know that it will run 333 memory, but not CPU.
    So, if you are running a 2400M at 2.0 GHz with a 266 FSB you will need a multi of 15 instead of its usuall 12. Does his bios support this?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'm not sure if it natively supports 333 fsb processors, but I know it'll overclock to that speed. His (unlocked) AGOIA Palomino is running at 10x166 right now.

The mobile Bartons start at 266 fsb, so that's one reason I was considering them, not knowing if the board officially supports 333. He has multiplier options up to 18x, so we have plenty of room to work with (which is good since the PCI frequency isn't locked).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It'll do 333 FSB.

It's called KT333 for a reason.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    It'll do 333 FSB.

It's called KT333 for a reason.

Not the same reason the KT400 is called KT400 then, I guess... ;D
    edited July 2004
    Precisely.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    Natively it'll only do 266 FSB. I've had a couple KT333 boards and typically get stuck in the 150 range for FSB (probably due to AGP/PCI clocks being out of spec).
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    My KX7 does 166... hell, I've had it up to >190...

And I've had a mobile 2600 in it before, iirc.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    The KX7 has a 5:2:1 divider so it can do 166 easily. Mine can do about 180 with some PCI/AGP cards in it.
    edited July 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    The KX7 has a 5:2:1 divider so it can do 166 easily. Mine can do about 180 with some PCI/AGP cards in it.

His has the 5 divider too. The only card he has in his system is his Radeon, so he should have some flexibility with his FSB. I forget the exact model, but it's the non-RAID Shuttle KT333 board. His RAM is rated at pc3200, so plenty of room there too. So long as it lets him choose the multi., then it sounds like a pretty good deal.
    edited July 2004
    qparadox wrote:
    Natively it'll only do 266 FSB. I've had a couple KT333 boards and typically get stuck in the 150 range for FSB (probably due to AGP/PCI clocks being out of spec).

ALL KT333 boards have a 5:2:1 divider. ALL of them will do 166.

If your motherboard does not do 166, it's either a faulty board, or you're setting your bios incorrectly.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited July 2004
    When i first got my A7V333 I needed a newer bios than the one onboard to get official 166 FSB support, so if its not an option just hit up the manufacturer's website for a newer bios.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2004
    Thrax is right. Not that he needs me to tell him that ;). I've got a Barton running great on a KX7 using the 5:2:1 divider, but some KT333 board manufacturers refuse to officialy support a 333FSB chip, last time I checked Abit was one of those manufacturers and the KX7's official CPU compatiblity list says a 333FSB CPU won't work (last time I checked).

Obviously the chipset itself has the ability, but I think I might be right in saying some KT333 mobo manufacturers don't go out of their way to support the 5:2:1 functionality in their BIOS's.

I'm not an expert on this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    Hmm never tried too much, might have been faulty ram as well. I ditched the board after another (gigabyte) after an identical board I had had the capacitors pop. Coulda been that too i guess :P. Meh my bad.
  • edited July 2004
    The mobo in question for this thread is a Shuttle AK37GT
  • edited July 2004
    The mobo in question for this thread is a Shuttle AK37GT

Is this your mobo that Garg is talking about, blue_iceman? That Shuttle mobo you listed is a KT400 based board and definitely supports 166 fsb procs and most likely will have no problems at all with a mobile XP.
    Here is a link to your board's specs so you can check it out yourself. I'm not sure about that mobo but a lot of KT400 boards can manipulate the multipliers through the whole range of valid multi's.
  • edited July 2004
    yes, this is the mobo Garg is talking about
  • edited July 2004
    I just looked around at Shuttles website and found that your board supports the regular desktop Bartons, so you should be good to go with a mobile XP, as long as you have multiplier adjustment in bios.
    edited July 2004
    Ack, my bad. For some reason I was thinking it had the older chipset :banghead: