what this mean?

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
3 flashing lights on my keyboard and it stops responding while trying to get into bios?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It means that the BIOS works up to the point where it detects the keyboard. I assume this is a corallary to your other thread. From what you described at the other thread, plus this, it's beginning to appear that your BIOS chip is damaged beyond repair. Can you borrow someone else's BIOS chip? (Yeah, I know, I've laughed when someone gave me that suggestion before.)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    thx for a response leo

problem is there isnt anyone around with the same bios chip that will let anyone touch thier pc lol

luckally Newegg is the best and gave me an RMA

back to the AMD Xp 2000+ and the voodoo 5 5500 for the next week
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'm assuming you have changed out the keyboard(swapped another keyboard in to test)???? Bad keyboard control chip, corrosion in keyboard switch contacts, bad cable, can get the no-post plus 3 lights on keyboard either all stuck on or blinking.... WITH the other problems, I figure board now also needs RMAing, but if new board does this keyboard thing, change out keyboard for another as an experiment. Well over half the time, when my keyboards have done this, it is a switch stuck or shorted by human hair (static flow, possibly), metallic dust, etc. So out comes the air can and jeweler's screwdriver and key puller. Could be a combo problem, so something to keep in mind.

All these things together out of one box really look like a COMBO problem, with one damaged thing then causing progressive damage or multiple fried things when motherboard goes radically wonky. Happy Newegg RMA'd the mainboard, though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Wow, had never considered a keyboard short causing booting problems. Really? Hmm, guess it's because I always keep my keyboard clean. I recently put together a system for my sister. There must have enough hair in the keyboard I acquired to make a wig. It was really, really nasty.
    edited July 2004
    the mainboard also fried a SOLD radeon 9800pro so now i gotta send money back
    lol
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    the mainboard also fried a SOLD radeon 9800pro so now i gotta send money back
    lol
    what else did you lose in that elect storm gnome? I read your thread at icrontic and I felt bad for you. :bawling: you seem to be taking it a lot better than I would.

Once we came back from vacation and dads mobo was fried that way. The homeowners insurance payed for a new one. In fact they payed for a whole new system! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2004
    hopefully just hte mainboard and vid card
    cpu and others stuff seems fine right now. But I am not taking it the best

I am more pissed off than a mound of red ants being pissed on by a fat mexican