PC + Random Self Restart? Wth?

Viper-ki--zViper-ki--z Kanada, und Es ist Zu viel Heisst :D
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Joy, my first post -= Rolls his eyes =-.
I'm currently having an HD problem. I think it occured when i was playing Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. After i got one of those annoying "Unhandled Exception (c10000)" Error. I left it for a while, then came back, played D2 again and then it restarted by itself, eversince, it's been doing it for the past 2 days. And it has sufficient cooling, it has all new updates and everything.

The Secondary problem now is the fact that CHSDSK doesn't repair the 2-4 Corrupt files it's supposed too, Instead-it freezes :banghead:
1 file is Gbl1a2B.Exe. Which it copies. And the second file, it cross-links and then allocates, then once it is done that, it hangs. Which led to me Restarting it, and now. it shows 2 more additional files. making it 4.

I really don't know what to do. All I can tell you is that this HD is a Maxtor91366U4.

And it's a pathetic 12.7 Gigs.

If there is anything you know about this problem, and/or any specific HD Tools i should use. Please name them and how they should be set up.

Best Regards.
Viper$ki||z :Canflag:

Comments

• SqueakSqueak School: Seaside Ca; Home: Victorville Ca
    edited July 2004
    First off what OS are you using. Secondly i dealt with a computer that did similiar things. Doe sit ever give you that error message at any other time? Or only on D2? If it is only on D2, then the ram on your video card may be bad. If it gives it to you at other times, then its your on board Ram. I had a computer that had a stick of 512 in it of some cheap brand, and it gave me memory dump errors, and exception errors, it also randomly restarted. It ended up being a bad stick of ram, and a new stick solved the problem.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Good suggestion, Squeak. :)

Try Memtest for the onboard memory.

As for the hard drive, try Maxtor's HD test utility.

Good luck!
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2004
    well ram cant realy be blamed for d2 crashing, it used to crash on me alot.... when i had my bot running......... anyway u might wanna try reinstalling ur OS overtop of the current install, u wont loose any information but it may repair those files
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Joy, my first post -= Rolls his eyes =-.

The Secondary problem now is the fact that CHSDSK doesn't repair the 2-4 Corrupt files it's supposed too, Instead-it freezes :banghead:
    1 file is Gbl1a2B.Exe. Which it copies. And the second file, it cross-links and then allocates, then once it is done that, it hangs. Which led to me Restarting it, and now. it shows 2 more additional files. making it 4.

Best Regards.

Clean Temporary Internet Files folder to get rid of that stuff you no longer need-- that SHOULD clean out your file, especially if name is in fact Glb1a2b.exe instead of gbl1a2b.exe and even possibly if not (this first file is a Wise Installer\Uninstaller artifact, most likely). This could also be a swap file problem given HD size, if swap file cannot be increased in size, then Windows boxes can reboot when swap or paging file on HD fills remaining space on HD or tries to then when XP has more to add to it, and cannot, you can get hangs and spontaneous reboots with zero hardware faulting responsible (one more hint, the pagefile CAN be deleted from recovery console, 2000 and XP can regen it on startup(expect boot time to be up to 20X normal time for the pagefile regen and for HD to be very busy during this single bootup with pagefile regen), and it CAN get corrupted also). Run Disk Cleanup utility, then run Disk Defragmenter up to 3X, in safe mode if it will not run in normal mode.

This might not be hardware, or not just hardware.
  • Viper-ki--zViper-ki--z Kanada, und Es ist Zu viel Heisst :D
    edited July 2004
    *Note: I'm Running Windows XP: Home Edition, GFX card is a Radeon 7200, I just replaced it with the Radeon 8500 Pro, and I still get ****ty problems with DII Kicking out. :banghead:

*Note2: I ran Memtest and nothing happened it ran for 5 seconds after "loading....." And then the screen went all PhuckSh|t Funny, Pink and Blue squares were the only thing on the screen. :(

Though i fixed all Corrupt files by using ChsDsk and leaving it overnight. It still does not Remove the Random Restart problem. I did all of the following, I Ran EasyCleaner 2.0 By ToniARts (Finland), And cleaned out all malicous and useless registry keys and changes, I removed all 240 Unnessecary Files. I also (using Easycleaner) Opened the Start up Monitor and Deleted all KernalFaults.

Then using Window Washer (Webroot) I Cleaned out all Temp files, IE History, Cookies, backup files. All of that useless Crap. Then I ran A ChsDsk Again, followed by Disk Cleanup. Afterwards I Defragged at 3X. And still, no good Results. Plus I still can't find the root of thid Unhandled Exception Error in D2.

This computer is fully upgraded, Chipset, HD, GFX Card, Drivers And so on. So I don't know why Either the Unhandled Exceptions, or the Random Restarting Should be happening.

Best Regards
  • edited July 2004
    My first impression is it's a PSU problem.
    edited July 2004
    -= Sighs =-... :( Damn Crappy Computer.

*Note: Read-up to see my last post about how my attempt on fixing both problems went.
    edited July 2004
    ...I ran Memtest and nothing happened it ran for 5 seconds after "loading....." And then the screen went all PhuckSh|t Funny, Pink and Blue squares were the only thing on the screen...
    If you have more than one stick of memory try running the test again using one stick at a time.

It generally means (at least some of) your memory is bad if what you described happens.
    edited July 2004
    I tried it again and it worked till it was at 90 Percent, then killed out and went Blue and pink squares again.. :(
    edited July 2004
    Was that with all sticks of ram? Again: If you have more than one stick, try them separately.

If it's any consolation, I think you are hot on the trail of solving your problem. :)
    edited July 2004
    CUrrently I only have 1 stick of Ram, that's about it, so I think either the stick is screwed or it's the hard drive and stuff in General. :hrm:
  • edited July 2004
    With memtest doing those funny things when booted off a floppy or cd, I would think the problem is your ram, since the hard drive isn't even being accessed.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    all i can tell you is that...

with my old PSU, when i tried to OC, my PC would restart randomly, changed to a better PSU and the problem was solved.

I dont think its a HDD prob. because if it was a HDD prob im thinking you would probably get a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) but thats just My Opinion. i dont think its a memory prob either... i am going with the PSU prob here... cause its ONLY when you play games right? high demanding games?

meh... i dunno... im just guessing...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    CUrrently I only have 1 stick of Ram, that's about it, so I think either the stick is screwed or it's the hard drive and stuff in General. :hrm:

Ok, how much RAM do you have???
    edited July 2004
    2.6 Gh of Ram. One stick of 256 DDR.
    And unfortunatly no, it doesn't just restart when i play games, sometimes it does it when I'm talking on MSN or watching a Flash movie, or just plain listening to music.

Btw what is a SmartFailure? When I used to have my old HDD I would restart my comp and it said I had a SmartFailure and that an HDD Crash could be immanent and that I should back up all my stuff and get a n ew HDD.

Wth is a Smart Failure?? IT happened right at reboot where it shows my slave and main hard drive ect.
    edited July 2004
    Can you borrow a stick of memory? If the problem goes away you'll know you have identified the problem.

</br>
    Btw what is a SmartFailure?...
    Smart stands for "Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology". It runs in the background and monitors abnormalities in your HD. The idea is to give you enough warning of a drive failure to allow you to save any data on the drive.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    You definitely have either a CPU problem, video card problem, or RAM problem. I would try borrowing a stick of RAM from somewhere else and then running memtest again.
    edited July 2004
    Ah, no I can't borrow a stick of Ram, Der Deutsch Mann next door will get in a pissy fit and want to come over and try to fix it cause he's never really had this problem. :S I don't need him ranting at me In german, despite the fact that I could Rant back in German. :S This is his computer. But My GP bought it off him.
  • edited July 2004
    I dont want to offend anyone but make sure you have checked all the ovious things first. First back up your registry and create a restore point then Check your Scheduled Tasks Manager to make sure that you dont have it set to reboot at certain times.Check the device manager to make sure no hardware conflicts are being reported.Disable each hardware component you can to, see if the problem continues to occur.Check your startup programs in msconfig to detemine what each one is for, and disabled all that are not needed for the system to run.Try moving your memory stick to a different slot.Turn off automatic restart at the control panel to see if you have any blue screens.Disable automatic updates and do your updates manually.Check for spyware. I recommend spybot S&D.Sometimes Norton Systemworks will interfere with gaming. Turn it off during gaming.Have you checked your startup programs in msconfig to detemine what each one is for, and disabled all that are not needed for the system to run. You could have a looping bug which causes your cpu and video card to hang. One resolution I found was in this forum. http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=25&threadid=10588
    Regards,
    Memesfaith
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for that info Memes, I've already checked all the schedule stuff. It's not set to restart like that. I don't think you can play a game, it restarts, then when it's finished you open IE and it Restarts again, immediatly, that's not the way it's set. lol I ave SPybot S&D, I used it, no problems found, except some Registry changes, which I fixed, still giving it the problem. Disabling Components, I tried that. :S I really don't know what is wrong.
    And btw, I don't get Blue Screens i get funny pink Blue squares in stead, but rarely, still get them though. Usually only during Memtest.
    edited July 2004
    Weird, Diablo II Ignores my AGP memory :S
    edited July 2004
    If you can't borrow some ram, buy another stick and try it by itself. If it solves the problem, great. If not, you'll be pleased with the improvement an increase from 256MB will make when you do get it solved.

Win/Win :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2004
    That's a good idea.

Do you have a known good, 400W+ PSU to ry the system with?

I still think it's the PSU.
    edited July 2004
    memesfaith wrote:
    You could have a looping bug which causes your cpu and video card to hang. One resolution I found was in this forum. http://forums.viaarena.com/messagev...&threadid=10588
    Regards,
    Memesfaith

Heh, that makes no sense.
    1. what is flashing your BIOS and VG Card.
    2. What the hell is the Infinite Loop?

o.O Could it be put into laymen terms please..?
    Oh yes, and the voltage for this computer is 1.500V :S
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    What the hell is the Infinite Loop?
    It's a traffic circle that you enter, but can't ever exit from. Like they have all over New England, especially in Boston.

Flashing the video card's or motherboard's BIOS. First, you'll need a long coat - 'trench' coat if you have one. Wear the coat with no clothes on underneath it. With the coat's buttons unfastened, face the BIOS with a grin on your face. Grasp the lapels of the coat; in one quick motion...

OK, seriously now:

1) Infinite Loop is a memory or data transfer operation that won't complete, but that keeps trying, or looping. (That's not technical, but the best I can do.)
    2) Flashing a BIOS. The BIOS, one each on your motherboard and video card, is a Basic Input-Output device, a little chip that gives start up instructions to your computer and or video card, coordinating the interaction of the computer's hardware devices before the computer is running under the instructions from your operating system. Frequently for motherboards, and not so frequently for vid cards, manufacturers make changes to the code stored in the BIOS. More advanced computer users will often update their BIOS chips. The operation is usually performed during the computer's startup phase and is called "flashing".
    edited July 2004
    Lol, Leonardo. My Grampa said something similer. Anyways, before I do anything else, may I ask what "Docmem 1.4" Is for?

Also, o.O can someone give me a good definition of "Inifinite Loop" And what noticiable Affects it's having on the computer, like Symptoms is basically what I mean.