nVidia or ATi?

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I just want to make a poll to see how many people on here actually enjoy an nVidia card, since it looks like me and MadMat are the only ones

lol

This is a poll to see what company you support, not what type of video card you are using.

please lets not have any wars

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Currently, ATI.

When nVidia can do it better, I'll go back to their camp.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    ok, i got the poll up

heh
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    nvidia, simply works better for the work i do.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    I support ATi. But honestly, if Nvidia has better price/perfomance I will go to them. Not that deep of a fanboy. Just cheap:D
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2004
    I look for the best bang for the buck, and ATI happened to fit that at the time.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    mondi wrote:
    nvidia, simply works better for the work i do.

Yeah, for some reason some of the programs I run actually run properly on NVidia cards, like when I switched out my Radeon 9700 Pro with my ex-Ti4600, AViD DV Free would run fine without the glitching.

I just don't know right now who I support, right now I am looking into a Radeon 9800(cuase my 9700 is still fubar in 3D games) but right now that is merely based on price. I want that Nforce4 with dual Geforces when I am able to get it :D
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'd always bought Nvidia cards until 6 months ago when I bought my 9800 pro. At the time, the Nvidia offerings couldn't keep up with ATI. My 9800 has been great, but I'll happily replace it with an Nvidia upgrade when and if they come up with a better card.
    edited July 2004
    Preacher! You're back!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Whoever has the best at the time. ATI right now.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    3DFX & NVidia.

Why? In their day, Voodoo's kicked ass and SLI was their greatest invention. Now it's making a revival (albeit under a different name) through NVidia.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    I have 12 video cards, 7 of which I bought for myself; the other 5 (an AGP TNT, 2 i740s, 1 Rage128, and 1 Ti Permedia 2) were bought for habitat for humanity, but are going to be sold.

The 7 I bought for myself are pictured in the attached image, and it should give you an idea of my preferences. :D
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Preacher! You're back!

While I don't want to digress in Jengo's thread, I was busy from March until now doing workups, deployment, Master's degree, moving my family from SoCal to Maine(still ongoing), etc., but now I am back. Great to see old friends and hopefully many new.

Back to the topic...I was impressed as hell with my 9800 and was considering sticking with ATI for my next upgrade, but with Nvidia touting a new, improved SLI, I'm just going to sit back for a while and twiddle my thumbs over my wallet and my NewEgg shortcut.
  • edited July 2004
    I personally like nVidia's driver interface over ATI's, it's more "user friendly" and like I've said before I've run both of the top dogs from the last rev (9800pro and 5900u) and found that the real world performance with the newer nV drivers was pretty darn close and the IQ was pretty close as well.
    I'm switching to a 6800 (the GT is out, darned newegg) and I'm hoping it's pretty overclockable to at least have the same level of oomph as a 9800XT if not a wee bit more but I'll still have a big dopey smile on my face if it runs as fast as the board it's replacing.
    ATI's are good, I'll hand them that but I guess I just like ease of use and something other than red for a PCB.
  • edited July 2004
    Right now I have an nVidia card, and I think it's great. My next card will be another nVidia (6800GT) not because I'm a fanboy, but because their GPU appears to be the best bang-for-the-buck at the moment.

I was seriously leaning twords getting an x800 Pro based card till I looked closer at the benchmarks (and the prices) and found I would prolly do better with nVIdia's solution this time around.

But the bottom line? Whoever has the best card for me, gets my money.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    Currently, ATI.

When nVidia can do it better, I'll go back to their camp.

Same here. I don't 'support' either, I just get the best I can at the time. Our other PC has a Ti4600, this one has a 9800 pro, in the real world I can't tell them apart while actually using them.
  • edited July 2004
    in the real world I can't tell them apart while actually using them.

Then I really think you're doing something wrong...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Well both play any game I want with everything on max and both look very nice, what am I missing?
  • edited July 2004
    Not much...the 4600 is still a pretty powerful card and since it's just dx8.1 you just won't have as many options to max out on newer games so you'll never realize that you're missing anything.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Like a lot of others I am with ATI for now but when it comes time to buy a new card I will research which card is best and go with it.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    long live the king! 3dfx was the best ever an d i realy wish they didnt sell out. But right now i have an ati and a nVidia. both are good but hte ati wins by a hair
    edited July 2004
    3DFX really didn't sell out. They bought STB video cards which helped dragged them into financial ruin because STB was terrible.

On top of that, when nVidia was releasing 32mb cards with 32bit colour, 3DFX was JUST releasing a 16mb card with 16bit colour. They nailed themselves into the coffin, and they had nowhere to go but down.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2004
    I voted for ATI simply becouse compitition is good. As it stands right now the 6800 looks to be the biggest bang for the buck. Sometimes after Xmas I'll prolly be buying one of these. After all the Prices will only come down :)
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    It's funny how quickly our opinios change.... I voted for ATi here and later casted a reluctant vote for nvidia.
    edited July 2004
    That's the way technology works!

If Intel comes out with a CPU that beats AMD, I'll buy one. Reluctantly, and silently, but I'll buy one.