New Case for cooling

13»

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    Same problem as the 3700s and the Sonata- 1 120mm intake fan and 1 120mm exhaust fan is just not going to get you enough airflow for really serious overclocking. If you can live with that, they're all great cases, but they have very poor cooling, so extreme overclocking is out, and some of the components (RAM, video card, hard drives) run a lot hotter in them than I'm comfortable with.

Geeky - I'm surprised you say that the hard drives run hot (but not surprised by the ram and vid card statements). Is it possible that there is no intake fan on the 3700s you've used? My intake fan blows right across the HDDs and keeps them fairly cool.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2004
    Will 330 be enough?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    No, I've got intake fans in them. The drives themselves run only lukewarm, but feel the controller chips on the bottom of the drive sometime.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    330 will probably enough.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    Yes a 330w Antec shouldl be enough but I cant give you a fig on noise except to say that my Antec 480 True Power is the loudest psu I have. But all the others are near silent or have a fan controller on them. In other words I can hear it but its not too intrusive & it folds 24/7.
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited July 2004
    What is quieter, a TruePower 330 or a SmartPower 350?

Is the SmartPower 350 better than the TruePower 330?

Is the Enermax EG365P-VE 350W PSU any good?
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    If you can hear the PSU over the case fans you need more case fans.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    abhi63 wrote:
    What is quieter, a TruePower 330 or a SmartPower 350?

Is the SmartPower 350 better than the TruePower 330?

Is the Enermax EG365P-VE 350W PSU any good?

I believe the difference between the two antecs is that the smart power has an auto sensing fan on it so when the psu isn't generating so much heat it lowers the fan speed & thus noise. My true power doesnt have this.

Enermax psu's... well many people will tell you they are good but I have used 3 of them & 2 had problems with providing stable rails & both under volted badly.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    i like my antec truepower 550 watt. id go with the antec, theyre quiet and ive bought 2 for other friends pcs, a 400 and 330 watt, and have had no power issues. im not sure if you got a case yet but i like silverstones new cases especialy this one.http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-163-028&depa=1 Its got the look a CM wavemaster but bigger and way better cooling options, not to badly priced either.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    abhi63 wrote:
    What about the Antec SX835II?

Not bad at all, or Cheiftec 830 series case (PRE version II) sans PSU with a good PSU bought separately. I myself use LARGE cases, one old 1040 style Antec Performance, one Solution series almost just like Leonardo has(its a two 80 mm fan in front capable, two stock 80 mm in rear as it comes, the case fans used are now hard-wired Panaflos). Basically, I can stick almost anything in either of them. But I agree with the single fan or front and back fan idea for PSUs. I use Channel Well Technology PSUs, but not the bottom fan types-- for extreme OCing or high end machines I like, Antec, PC Power and Cooling, Channel Well Technology, and some of the CodeGens are not awful bad .
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Gobbles wrote:

I like that case too, but can anyone tell if the hard drives are seeing any airflow? It doesn't really look like it, but maybe I'm overlooking something. I really like the top-mount USB and Firewire. For a computer sitting on the floor, that's much more convenient.

11-124-034-03.JPG
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    That case looks very similar in construction to Sally's Thermaltake V1000A.

It has the same fan set up on top, in the front and the swinging bracket on the side.
    It should take 7 fans. 2 in the front, which blow air over the HD's, 2 rear, 2 in the side and 1 on top. Any more and it'll turn into a hovercraft, lol.

Though i have never checked the HD's temp wise, the case runs quite cool with 5 Papst fans, which lets me believe the front fans are doing the job over/around the HD's.

Jon
  • abhi63abhi63 UK, Leeds
    edited August 2004
    What do you think about the Chenbro Xpider and Xpider II?

Thanks.