Gamma Test(need you guys)

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Internet & Media
You are my test subjects :D

I want you to look at the image below. Begin with the very bottom image and work upwards till you see which image is _just_ distingiushable. In that you can just barely make out minor details in the image, not just the silouette.

In other words, which one is just _barely_ acceptable? For me it is the second from the bottom, in that I can barely make out subtle details in the rocks, while the very bottom is just black where rock is and nothing else.

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    I can see a handful of features in the last one, actually. Then again my screen is quite bright. But second last is the best.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    the first one is best for me
    edited July 2004
    Must have a darkass screen, dude :-/
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Second to last
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I can still see some features in the last one but not many. I'd recommend first actually.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Second to last is just barely acceptable to me.
    edited July 2004
    Isn't this question fundamentally flawed? Everyone's resolution, gamma, brightness, color adjustments, etc. are different...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    entr0py wrote:
    Isn't this question fundamentally flawed? Everyone's resolution, gamma, brightness, color adjustments, etc. are different...

This is why I would like to know what the average persons monitor is like. So I can know how special details in my projects should be like. I wouldn't want a cool picture to look awsome on my monitor but not someone elses. Like a Mac's monitor is somewhat brighter than the average PC monitor. These are issues I have to work with :D
    edited July 2004
    Excellent point, man. Didn't even consider it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Second to last is barely acceptable. That's on my starting-to-show-its age Vewsonic 19" flat CRT. I'll try and remember to view this one of my office's Samsung flat screens tomorrow.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    Second to last, on an old compaq monitor. I would compare to my viewsonic, but my computer has no network hookup, at the moment. That monitor is brighter than most.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I can make out detail in the last one *but have to work at it to do so*, so it's sorta uncomfortable. In terms of picking up detail at a fast glance, I actually like the top one. For reference, I find the image in your sig quite a bit too bright on the right hand side.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    2nd to last for sure although the last is borderline.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    keto wrote:
    I can make out detail in the last one *but have to work at it to do so*, so it's sorta uncomfortable. In terms of picking up detail at a fast glance, I actually like the top one. For reference, I find the image in your sig quite a bit too bright on the right hand side.

Thanks for that information on my sig, made it during lab when I finished all my stuff. Been trying to come up with a new logo as well, instead of Fusion Digital Media which has been taken by a few people already. DFXR sounds cool and nothing shows up in google when I first searched for it. ;) Needs more work still.

Thanks everyone too, this is alot of help :clap:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I can't see details until the second from the top. This is on my 19" Sony Trinitron at work, with a window behind me glaring right on the screen.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    keto wrote:

ditto all