ATX 12V power connector???

ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
edited August 2005 in Hardware
the new motherboard i just got has a jpw1 power connector that is said to power my CPU, but my power supply doesn't have this cable, it has the 20-pin power connector...

So my question is... Is the 12V power connector required for the processor to have power? (i dont see why it would be required because my other computers don't use one and the computer works)

P.S. i might be bugging you guys with questions for awhile. :cool:

:celebrate <<---- OMG, spot from the NES game 7up!!!

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Yes, for the P4, it's basically required. The board may run without it, but it's not a good idea to run it without it. You'll want to buy an adapter or (preferably) a new power supply. A good, high quality power supply is absolutely essential if you want a stable, reliable system.

Go with a Fortron Source (FSP), Sparkle, Antec or Enermax 350w+ power supply, or, if you have the money, a PC Power & Cooling unit (www.pcpowercooling.com); they're the best power supplies on the market, but for the amount they cost, they'd damn well better be.
  • ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
    edited July 2004
    I think ill try to run the board without it, because im not trying to spend anymore money. I don't see why they would require the 12v thing and still have te 20-pin connector on the motherboard, so im assuming that it can run with either, right?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Not always. Most modern processors require the extra 12v 4pin connector + 20pin ATX. You need a better power supply. What is the total wattage of your PSU? I'm assuming 250 or 300W.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No, it <b>has to have both</b>. The extra 4 pin connector was designed to fulfill the Pentium 4's voltage requirements.

If you have an athlon, it's not needed but suggested.
    edited July 2004
    You may get lucky and have it run without it, yes, but I wouldn't count on it. I certainly wouldn't count on it being stable if it does run. It might be, but the P4's design spec calls for that connector to be used, and it does it for a reason. Modern CPUs need more power, as prime said. And if it's an old low-capacity PSU like I suspect it is, then you run a very real risk of frying stuff (stuff being every friggin' component in your system- cpu, motherboard, ram, graphics card, hard drive, all of it) if you're not careful.
    edited July 2004
    wow

well, this was pulled out of a windows 98 system i got awhile ago, running with a p2. Where could i get a cheap power supply that would work, im not really trying to run lots of stuf, but here's my list if you can make a prediction on the "wattage" i need

2 hdd's
    2 cd drives (one a burner)
    floppy
    1.8GHz CPU
    geforce mx 420
    (i think thats it)
    edited July 2004
    There's no way I'd trust that power supply to power anything over a Pentium III :(

Unfortunately, the wattage requirements are entirely dependent on the particular power supply. See, power supplies are not all created equal, and they're not all rated the same. For example, I've had $29 "550w" power supplies fail after only 8 seconds under a 300w load. As it turns out, it could only put out 550w for 17 milliseconds (17/1000 of 1 second) with a component temperature of 25*C. So basically, if you stuck it in the freezer, it'd put out 550w for a tiny fraction of a second before going t*ts up.

A GOOD power supply though, is rated for its continuous power output; a generic 350w power supply may only be able to put out 200w continuously, while a 350w Antec will put out 350w until the cows come home without a problem.

Let me look around a bit and see what I can find :)
    edited July 2004
    thanks, im a member to some other forums (not computer building) and this is the nicest group of ppl (person? mostly geeky1) ive met on forums. Ill wait, your services are much appreciated btw.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Generally a 300w Antec or a 350w Antec power supply will serve your needs. Likewise a powersupply by any other major company (Vantec, Allied, PC Power and Cooling, Enermax) will be fine for your system.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Another recommendation for Antec... A great value since they are very solid PSUs at a reasonable price.
    edited July 2004
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-103-428&DEPA=0
    That is the absolute cheapest power supply I would go with. It should be enough for what you have now, but upgrading stuff like your CPU and video card later on may require a power supply upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=17-104-979&depa=0
    That power supply is also only 300w, but since it has a 120mm fan, it's far, far superior to the one above. That one would be the cheapest one that I'd wholeheartedly reccommend.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=17-103-913&depa=0
    And that's the best compromise between value and quality, IMO. $43 isn't bad at all, and it's an outstanding power supply.

Oh, btw, if you're using the case out of the P2 machine, it may not have sufficient cooling for a P4 system. How many case fan mounts does it have, and where are they located?
    edited July 2004
    Sure, ill look into antec. Thanks guys!

Hmmmmmm..... I like the idea of "cheap", considering i dont have a job (can't get one, im 14). When rushing into this computer making thing i though all i needed to make my comp suitable for ut2004 was a new mobo-cpu-and-video card. So i spent all my money, plus i owe my mom $11, and now i need a power supply, fan/heatsink, AND ddr memory (i forgot to check to see if the ram from my old motherboard was the same [it wasn't]). So if my mom lets me, im going to have to owe her like $70, or maybe i could get an early birthday present...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Since its for a P4 I would dfinitely include Enermax. Enermax has always been very P4 friendly and reliable. Most of us are AMD oriented and tend to forget about Enermax since Antec is always a better choice for us.
  • edited July 2004
    I run a Pee4 and my Antec is quite competent with it...a Smart Blue 350 would be a decent fairly low dollar PSU to look into I think they sell for about $45-$50 and are pretty stable.
    The True Power Antecs are a bit hardier but for what you've listed I think the Smart Blue will more than suffice until you decide to upgrade again.
    If you're going to stay with the system you've listed for a year or two I'd say that by the time you do upgrade again you'll be needing a whole different spec. of PSU anyways.
    Good luck!!
  • edited August 2005
    Hello.
    I figured id post in this thread instead of starting a new topic.
    My motherboard has an 8 pin 12v slot.
    Do I need a 4to8 pin adapter ? Or can I use just the regular 4 pin ?

Motherboard is intel SHG2 .

Thanks!

-TmP