WD800JB Western Digital SE

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I plugged in this drive set to cable select just as the main drive is but when I get into windows disk manager it doesnt allow me access to format it or partition or anything. What am I missing ...is there some type of utility I need to run on here first?

I'm sure glad my raptor didnt give me this trouble.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    I'd run western digital's diagnostics on that drive. :-/
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    jumper it to slave or master, which ever it is...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    They seem picker then most drives about the settings. I second Gobbles suggestion. As the only drive on a cable some controllers made you use a setting for "single drive" not cable select or master which was totaly weird for me.

Tex
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    oh yeah I forgot to mention ...I'm on dad's kt7a-r ...so I may need a newer bios I'm thinking ...but it shows in the bios and in disk manager just doesnt offer me any options to do anything with is in the manager.

I'm running data lifeguard tools on it now ...that may be the problem.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    On the left does it show as online? or having errrors? You can't select the drive and right click and add a new volume? Is it showing as unallocated? If not delete the partion and make another one.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I finally got win xp installed ok. Not what I originally wanted to do but even when it did accept the ghost it would never reboot withought an error message.
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited July 2004
    The controller it is on has to be working in Windows or a drive won't be usable. Also, not all cable's work with cable select.

Flashing to the latest drive is a good idea also. Try jumperless with the drive on it's own chain.

When ghosting a windows install, stick to copying the partition, not just the files.