Current Hardware that offers the most Bang for your Buck

SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I haven't bought a computer component since the ABIT KX7-333R was the biggest thing going. I'm looking to build a new computer for school. This is where I need help. I havent been reading many reviews and am not in the loop for current hardware. Could I get a few suggestions on some peripherals to put in a midway system? I don't want it to be ridiculously expensive but I want to have relatively new hardware that is starting to get affordable.

I already have a flat screen monitor to be used, a 17" KDS, so that eliminates some expense. I am also very interested in building a MiniPC with oen of the Shuttle-style boxes.

I'm thinking about an Athlon XP Barton 2500-2700. I could use some suggestions on RAM. I'm not too sure what works well with it.

Any help would be appreciated... :thumbsup:

Adam

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard (Best NF2 mobo out there)
    Athlon XP 2400-M Processor (Highly overclockable and very cheap!)
    Radeon 9800 Pro video card (Insane price/performance ratio)
    Western Digital WD1200JB hard drive (Cheap, high capacity. Fast).
    Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD Burner (Best in the world NINETY BUCKS! It's insane!)
    Corsair memory (XMS 3200XL is great!)

Hope those help!
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited July 2004
    Yup I have the Western Digital WD1200JB hard drive and I love it.

Thanks for the tips Thrax, looks like some solid hardware from the little knowledge I have of it.

Athlon XP 2400-M Processor ... you're suggesting a Mobile Processor?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Well an ATI card. And an AMD CPU.:)

Any gaming? Whats your budget?
    edited July 2004
    Yea I'm going ATI and AMD, I trust them much more. I'm not entirely sure of my Budget.. probably around 700-800
    edited July 2004
    The mobile chips aren't locked from overclocking. There's a thing in the mobile AMD world called "Power Now!" technology. What it does is dynamically clocks the chip based on heat and CPU load in order to save battery life.

Well, if a chip is locked like the desktop CPUs are, Power Now! doesn't work at all. So they have to be unlocked! And this is good for you because you can spend a lot less and get a <b>lot</b> more.
    edited July 2004
    Where is the A07 $90? Pricegrabber has it for $103 with shipping. The only newegg A07 in stock is the A07XL. Not sure what the difference is besides the price.

Plus there is a rebate for the A07 for $40:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2658824/search=a07
    edited July 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    The mobile chips aren't locked from overclocking. There's a thing in the mobile AMD world called "Power Now!" technology. What it does is dynamically clocks the chip based on heat and CPU load in order to save battery life.

Well, if a chip is locked like the desktop CPUs are, Power Now! doesn't work at all. So they have to be unlocked! And this is good for you because you can spend a lot less and get a <b>lot</b> more.

So the mobile chips can be used just as a standard chip, just they do not need to be unlocked? Or do they actually overclock better as well?
    edited July 2004
    Both statements are true. They're normal chips, just unlocked.. And they also generally overclock better. Exactly right. :D
    edited July 2004
    What's the difference between the 107 and A07 DVd-RW Drives? There is a $40 difference...
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    What kind of budget are you looking at, and what do you want to do with the system?
    edited July 2004
    I'd like to get around $700. This is what I've got so far:

$90 Lian-Li PC-78
    $123 Pioneer-A07XL (Might get the 107 instead, thats $40 less)
    $84 Western Digital 1200JB HD
    $168 Corsair XMS 3200XL 512MB
    $91 Abit NF7-S 2.0
    $77 Athlon XP Mobile 2400+ 266FSB 512K OEM

I'm looking ot get a graphics card not necessarily for gaming, but with high LCD Image Quality for my 17" KDS and S-Video Out. I also need to find a good HSF as I'm going to be overclocking. I Think I have a Thermalright AX-7 now and it works very well on my Athlon XP. I think I'm gonna go with the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, I use it nwo and it's cheap and great.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Don't even worry about the Turtle Beach card - the NF7-S' onboard sound is fantastic.
    edited July 2004
    Forgot about the onboard sound. Great.

What should I do for a heatsink and should I get the A07 or 107? The DVD Burner might be a large part of my system so I don't wanna skimp it.

I also think I'm gonna get the Rosewill Radeon 9600SE 128MBDDR. It comes with VGA DVI and SVideo. It will be decent performance. Much better than my 8500 so it's a good deal for $69.
    edited July 2004
    Get a Thermalright HS that fits your budget. SLK-800 or up at least.

I want to know about the Pioneer as well.
    edited July 2004
    Oh! Just get the DVR-107. It's the A07 without the ****ty software.
    edited July 2004
    I found out that the difference between the 107 and the A07 is that the A07 is the retail model that coems with additional software and cables. That I do not need. I'm saving the $40 and getting the 107. I suggest you guys do the same.

What would be a good standalone DVD Drive to go along with this for cd to cd or dvd to dvd copies?
    edited July 2004
    You can't do DVD to DVD copies (As in, one disc to another disc. You <i>can</i> copy DVDs, but not this way), so it's pointless to get another DVD anything. Get a good CD burner so you can have a drive that burns DVDs well, and a drive that burns CDs well.

My suggestion, as always, is the 52x LiteOn CD-RW drive.
    edited July 2004
    Get a good CD burner so you can have a drive that burns DVDs well, and a drive that burns CDs well.

A CD burner that burns DVDs? :skeptic:;) I think you meant DVD burner.
    edited July 2004
    No, I don't.

He was asking if he should get another DVD drive. As we were speaking of a DVD writer, I told him instead that he should get a CD writer so he has a drive that burns DVDs well, and a drive that burns CDs well.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Good call on that, Thrax. Don't get a Sony! Basically they're rebadged LiteOn drives, but they jack their own P.O.S. firmware in there. I had no idea about some so-called "Turbo Mode". Had to flash the firmware to a LiteOn so I didn't have to hold the darn button for 5 seconds each time. Pain in the arse.

9600se isn't a terrible card. My friend can play most games on medium-low to medium quality on his, with decent framerates and IQ. Not the best, but as long as you aren't big on games it works perfect.
    edited July 2004
    But it looks like to me and maybe others that by saying CD writer its CD only and not DVD writer which I think you mean. By thinking of that its kinda hard for a CD only writer to burn DVDs.
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, no one and I do mean <b>no one</b> can best Pioneer right the moment for compatability. And that's what DVD burning is about.. I don't care how fast you can fire off the disc (OH YAY SONEE 8X DVD+RW IZ SUPAR FASSTTT LIEK A MIATA MACHENE) ... 8x is unstable and +R/RW sucks. We're just looking for it to work in a broad range of applications, and Pioneer is taking names in that department.
    edited July 2004
    How is the Thermalright NB-1C for $18 at newegg? I'm trying to find a good HS for the Athlon 2400+ Mobile but I'm not seeing one.
    edited July 2004
    Get the Thermalright ALX-800, Thermalright SLK-800, Thermalright SLK-900u, Thermalright SLK-947u, or the Thermalright SP-97. All of them fit different price ranges and perform admirably.
    edited July 2004
    Ok guys, this is what I've decided on getting. I'm only building it once so I'm gonna do it right. Any tips or suggestions?

$90 Black Lian-Li PC-78
    $27 Black 52x Lite-On CD-RW
    $85 Black 8x Pioneer 107 DVD+RW
    $57 Thermalright SP-97
    $84 Western Digital WD1200JB
    $91 Abit NF7-S
    $77 Athlon XP Mobile 2400+ 266FSB 512K
    $195 MSI Radeon9800Pro 128DDR S-Video Out
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    That MSI is a beast :thumbsup::D I guess people are getting massive overclocks, and it's generally recognized at an XT right off the bat - no flashing or anything.
    edited July 2004
    Excellent picks, Smig. You'll be <b>very</b> happy with that system.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    SmiGDig wrote:
    Ok guys, this is what I've decided on getting. I'm only building it once so I'm gonna do it right. Any tips or suggestions?

$90 Black Lian-Li PC-78
    $27 Black 52x Lite-On CD-RW
    $85 Black 8x Pioneer 107 DVD+RW
    $57 Thermalright SP-97
    $84 Western Digital WD1200JB
    $91 Abit NF7-S
    $77 Athlon XP Mobile 2400+ 266FSB 512K
    $195 MSI Radeon9800Pro 128DDR S-Video Out

alright so the total here is $874....

you could always go with an a64 system for roughly the same amount....

$89 kingwin kt-424-bk-wm
    $76.50 nec 2510a dvd+/-r/rw dl
    $93.49 hitachi 160gb sata hdd
    $153 mushkin 512mb pc3500 level one
    $105 abit kv8 pro s754
    $175 amd a64 3000+ - retail
    $195 msi 9800pro

total = $886.99

throw in a thermalright slk-948u for $39.99 and you're at $926.98, basically $50 more dollars than the 32-bit system....:thumbsup:
    edited July 2004
    Yes, but socket 754 is a dying standard, the KV8 is fussy about memory, and the 3000 is slower (In everything) than what is 2400-M will be when he's done with it.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    yes, 940 pin is in. the optron 240 is where its at, that with a sk8n and your golden. may be about 100 bucks more but its worth it.