iRiver 10GB iPod clone

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Japan's iRiver has launched the latest iPod clone, the iHP-100, a 10GB hard drive-based MP3 player.

While the iHP-100 certainly lacks the iPod's styling, it does have some neat touches of its own. Like the latest iPods (but not the 10GB version, it has to be said), the iRiver device ships with a remote control unit, but the iHP-100's version has a full-size backlit track information display screen. The iHP-100 also offers digital optical audio input and output ports, and you can hook up any source to digitise sound directly to the player's hard drive. There's a built-in microphone too. The iRiver also contains an FM stereo radio receiver.

<center>iHP-100-1.jpg </center>
In size, the iHP-100 is a little taller but the same width and fractionally thinner than the 10GB iPod. Both weigh around 160g - rather less than Creative's 20GB Nomad Zen, which comes in at 268g. Like the Apple machine, the iHP-100 offers a large, 160 x 128 backlit information display screen and a five-way navigation control, again better than the Zen's tiny 132x64 window. There's a built-in six-band equaliser; the iPods has a 20-band version.

The iHP-100 connects to a host PC via a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed link. It plays MP3 and Windows Media Audio files. Neatly, you don't need jukebox software to transfer files to the iHP-100 - Windows Explore will do. iRiver claims user get 16 hours of playback from the built-in rechargeable battery; the latest iPods only manage eight hours, while the Nomad Zen can offer 12.

I WANT ONE!

Source : The Register

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    That... or the iPod? now the decision is getting tough...

of course it's not like it matters anymore anyhow... I just accidentally deleted ALL 3 COPIES of my .mp3s, and now is NOT an ideal time to be restoring that stuff...
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Very, Very, Very nice. I wouldnt mind getting one for my holiday but I wouldnt want to get it nicked. I am looking at picking one of these up http://www.aria.co.uk/productsList.asp?Category=42&Submit=submit . Its the bottom one.

For that price I dont mind if it goes missing when I am away.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I got some crappy brand (Classic, I think) CD MP3 player from a local store a couple months back. Absolute junk. Locks up after a few songs, there are some it won't play at all. Really long search time.

I'm sure brands like Sony or Panasonic are better, but I think my next mp3 player will use flash memory. The less moving parts, the better :)
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    That... or the iPod? now the decision is getting tough...

of course it's not like it matters anymore anyhow... I just accidentally deleted ALL 3 COPIES of my .mp3s, and now is NOT an ideal time to be restoring that stuff...

i've got a program called r-studio you can use if you want that might be able to get back some of your files off at least one of the 3 locactions you had them.

lemme know if you're interested. icq or aim would be best. 24587797 or celcho