tough keyboard love

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I've had the same, simple Logitech keyboard for well over two years now. About an hour ago, I came back to my room and started typing but keys weren't registering. I rebooted, but then nothing on it worked at all. I figured maybe the fan had blown moisture from the rain outside in or maybe it was old age.

I was messing with it for about five minutes (checking connections, trying different keys, etc) when a friend suggested "have you tried just wailing on it yet?". Since it seemed to me that my keyboard had bit the dust anyway, I said "what the hell" and pounded on it full-force with my fists twice...

...and here I am typing this post. :wtf:

Comments

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited July 2004
    :banghead: When all else fails....................................................find a bigger hammer!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Every time my keyboards have lost their mind, I smacked the **** out of them and they worked again.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2004
    Tech support is a multi faceted beast.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Punching things seriously does work.
  • edited July 2004
    I bathe my keyboards in warm water with a toothbrush when they get like that. Like a f*cking child for god's sake!

I guess we're at the opposite ends of the keyboard tech support spectrum.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    You guys are way 2 nice to your equipment.

A 6 foot fall onto concrete is always step 1 in any troubleshooting. You must do this while threatening the suspect device with an even higher fall should it still not work.

Keyboards always get a bath in the dishwasher in my house. M$ natural keyboards just love the dishwasher. You can hear them just clicking away in there.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    When my keyboard doesn't respond to beatings, THEN I clean it with a toothbrush and some warm water.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    i found this somewhere
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Lord have mercy! :eek2:
  • edited July 2004
    Gawd, that's an awesome picture! ;D;D

The method of troubleshooting described above is also used here in the oilfield. It's formally called the "Hammer kill-or cure method". ;D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Works on humans as well, you'll learn your lesson after a fist lands on your face ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Um, in the very old PC days, first step was to take the whole box, hold it 1 foot over a work bench, and drop it so it landed level. Funny thing, the impact actually caused things to seat better given the way the sockets worked. What a shaking of a keyboard accomplishes (or sudden impact if you do not hit the keys but instead slap the back of it hard) is to jar loose things in teh switching with an old keyboard that actually uses fairly open keyswitches, or to get loose things that are stuck, like keys hit at an angle. I pick up a keyboard that is acting wierd and slap it, like a choking baby first gets a slap on the back between its shoulder blades before you heimlich it when it's choking due to something stuck in its pipes. What happens if you hold keyboard almost upside down and you slap it two-three times is that you see junk of small kinds falling out of it if it then behaves. I use alcohol, 91-99% to clean coated membranes, dries faster than water, I can get back to typing sooner.... Now you know why good IBM Pro-grade or Keytronics keyboards last 3-5 years for me.... And junk ones get tossed in two months {Logitechs last about a year and a half average for me, not at all bad for a keyboard)....

Humor: What I really "hate" are coke or BAWLs or Coffee (the coffee plus cream and sugar, or just sugar or sweetener) soaked membrane contacts in keyboards-- silly stuff shorts when wet, and sugars insulate connections (bad signal flow results, naturally) when dried out.... URGH... ! :D But keyboard as ashtray??? As said, Lord have mercy! :D Old melted CD shaped into bowl shape in Microwave and then lined with baking thickness aluminum foil is much better for ashtray.... I KNOW, shut up, please, John! :D
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    RADA wrote:
    :banghead: When all else fails....................................................find a bigger hammer!

Or find Sledgehammer :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Quite a revival here, Sledge.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Hey I try
    I dig things new and Old day by day,
    from the SM grave just so they see light of day.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I've never had a keyboard quit working. I've got a Microsoft (Dell branded) natural keyboard that is 10 years old and still works well, except there's a little too much play in the keys. Once a quarter or so, just spritz them out with canned air. But then, if the keyboard is filthy, the air will just lodge the gunk deeper into board's recesses.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    Hey I try
    I dig things new and Old day by day,
    from the SM grave just so they see light of day.
    Poetry! :cheers:
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2006
    hahaha now I remenber why this thread is created deja-vu

I remenber it from then
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    keyboard_frustration.jpg