Northwood P4 Overclocking

jazzman_76063jazzman_76063 Texas (aka hot & dry)
edited August 2004 in Hardware
Yeah, I bought my computer 'round 10 months ago off of ebay - time to overclock. Currently it is a P4 3.0ghz (with ?stock? hsf) 800mhz fsb on a Intel D865GBF mobo. 1024mb Samsung pc3200 dual channel(2x512mb). Samsung 16X DVD-ROM, Samsung 52x24x52 CD-RW, and some off brand 4x DVD+/-RW(aka el cheapo). 180gb WD 8mb cache IDE hd. 400W Hercules PS. eVGA.com 256mb Geforce FX 5600 overclocked with Rivatuner to 352/559mhz from stock 325/500mhz. I just bought and am awaiting arrival of a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo. I'm gonna plug my current processor into it, and use arctic silver 5 with a Thermalright SLK-947U topped off with a Vantec Tornado 92mmx92mmx38mm fan. I know my graphics card is a pos and eventually i will buy a new one. But I was wondering, about how fast will I be able to overclock my processor. My case has 2 front intake fans, 2 back exhaust fans and one more side intake fan. Also, ive read about increasing the voltage on CPU's to stabilize them when they are overclocked. Can the same thing be done to video cards? I'm just wondering if i increased the voltage to my pos card if i could get more of an overclock.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    It depends on the CPU. Could go to 3.4 to 3.6 maybe. Could be less could be more.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    If you haven't already bought the 92mm tornado, don't. Get an 80mm Thermaltake SmartFan 2 instead. Much less noise, the same or better performance.
  • jazzman_76063jazzman_76063 Texas (aka hot & dry)
    edited July 2004
    i already bought the vantec, but noise doesn't really bother me
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Generally the only way to increase core/mem voltage on a card is by hard modding. You can increase the AGP voltage, but from what i've read, the only thing that accomplishes is shortening the card's life expectancy.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2004
    I don't think increasing AGP voltage will do much. Most cards nowadays have voltage regulators right? You'll have to physically mod your card to get increased voltage. And if you do that, you better be prepared for
    1) The extra heat it will produce
    2) Your card blowing up.

Ok, your card won't blow up, but pump too much voltage in it, it WILL stop working.

I agree with mmonnin on your CPU. I got an early 2.8C processor. If I had just waited a few more months, a newer one would probably be capable of MUCH higher overclocks. I'm not too clear on the max of my cpu though. I think it can hit a max of like 3.4. Not too bad, but I've seen others hit 3.8...