Good Blank Media for Pioneer a107

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I just got the Pioneer drive for my Birthday. My mom ordered it for me so I am going to have to go back home for it next weekend. So when I come back to my apartment I want to have some DVD-Rs to Burn stuff to.

Do the same brands apply to DVD-Rs like CD-Rs, I.E. Memorex, Imation, etc.

I see a rebate for some Memorex DVD-R disks at CompUSA and I know someone who works there so I can get them at cost.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306316&pfp=cat3

I was wondering which disks play well with the drive and which ones the drive is picky about.

Marc

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Memorex. I've never had a failure on a DVR drive with Memorex.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    And how about Rewritable disks? Figured I would get a few of those as well.
    edited August 2004
    I never use RWs since they're just DVD-Rs preformatted with open sessions.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I use Memorex DVD-R or DVD+R with my 106D. I have used Philips DVD+RW's and they worked fine, but I got them free and wouldnt have bought them.
    edited August 2004
    You never want to erase data from a disk?

One of the things I want to do besides backup with the DVD Burner is to burn a CD with all my installation programs on it with drivers and such. If I use DVD-Rs I wont be able to get rid of the old drivers and older versions of the programs.
    edited August 2004
    DVD/CD-RWs are CD/DVD-Rs preformatted with open sessions.

When you go to burn on a DVD/CD-R, just tell your burner not to close the disc and you have yourself your very own RW.
    edited August 2004
    Can you still erase the data? I know you can not close the CD and you can write to it again and again until you fill it up.
    edited August 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    You never want to erase data from a disk?

One of the things I want to do besides backup with the DVD Burner is to burn a CD with all my installation programs on it with drivers and such. If I use DVD-Rs I wont be able to get rid of the old drivers and older versions of the programs.

i would just get a 3-pack of memorex dvd+rw/dvd-rw discs to do what u want...erasing and all...i never erase anything...i got my backup cd-r's from '99 still :D

and i want to add that i think kwitko is the coolest mod on this board. all hail kwitko!! :kneel:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Difference, REAL, between CD-R and CD-RW. Not only can the TOC area be deleted, but the data area can, with an RW media. BUT, you pay for the erasablity, in price and performance and some in durability. RW media CAN be data erased, really, but it takes some time to erase it- a fairly LONG time if you do a full data wipe. Second, they are much slower to record RELIABLY than an R media blank would be. Third, they cost so much more than R media that you could waste 5-8 R media for one RW blank's cost. Fourth, to get that erasablity the thin metal layer or other recording surface material itself are softer and more heat sensitive than on R DVDs or CDs, they do not stand up to heat as well as the data areas of R media.

So, I use RW only when I have a need for maybe fairly small bunches of data that are VERY time sensitive and normally would not be wanted 3-6 months later-- result is normally I can use CD-RW for that (Memorex 12X, which will burn at 10X also). I use R media for anything I might want 2 years later. IF you REALLY want something bigger than a CD-RW, which you can record at 12X, my guess is most folks will want it for a reason that is great enough that 18-14 mnonths later they will still value it some. So, for DVDs right now, I would have to say use R media and do not bother with RW, it will be faster record time and cheaper than RW.

If you really want DVD RW media, Memorex from Sam's Club or Best Buyor Maybe Circuit City if you find they have a media rebate going for Memorex, say a 3 or 5 pack at most. BUT, I can get a 10 pack of Memorex CD-RW 12X media for about $9.00 at Circuit City if it is on sale and I almost NEVER have anything I want on RW media that I cannot archive to compress and then burn as data CD to an CD-RW. I've had some things I wanted that ended up being broken into two when archived or backed up and had to be reassembled on restore, but never had anything that I wanted real bad and for a long time and had at the same time had time to wait for a slower burn plus an erase before then to need DVD-RW specifically.

If you are gonna do 3D video dev, yeah, then RW makes sense for things you might want to alter in the field or which has short life span. But for driver archives or imaging I use R media, and for archived restore points or imaging backups also(actually they are SECONDARY and TERTIARY backups that go to R media, for core stuff, primary backup is imaged to another HD).

I'll let you each decide, I am not telling anyone what to do, simply saying why I end up doing it this way. But Thrax is smart not to bother with RW for DVDs.

I would have to say NOT to erase on the fly for RW also-- its harder to get it reliably done for real known-good backups of mostly critical things when you are telling aburner to erase, burn to fill in erased area, erase, etc.... Might as well just batch erase what you know you need before you burn, with RW. And they are too costly not to plan on reusing them each 4-6 times.
    edited August 2004
    I dont need any more CD-R/RW. I was asking about DVD+-R/RWs.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I've had good success with TDK and Imation.
    edited August 2004
    fatcat wrote:
    and i want to add that i think kwitko is the coolest mod on this board. all hail kwitko!! :kneel:

someone stole muh keyboard! ;D