Won't Start Up!

ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
edited August 2004 in Hardware
My comp won't start up when i press the power button! I just finished constructing it and it won't start. What could be my problem!? i've tried positioning the buttons connectors differently on the motherboard and it won't do anything. I also tried the switch on the back of the power supply and still nothing. For the first time that it starts up, does it have to start by the auto-start function after you plug the power into it!? Plz help, i don't want my whole computer to go to waste!

Thnx.

O yeah, is the - or this the O on. Im having a brain fart...

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    The dash is on.

Are you sure the power button is connected correctly to your motherboard?
  • ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
    edited August 2004
    Yes, via those cables. Otherwise i was trying to trigger it with a piece of metal, probably a bad thing.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    Though i'm no expert, one question that will be asked is for some details.

Mobo, psu, ram etc. Also which case may help as someone may have had a similar problem.

Do any of the lights come on? Can you hear the psu start? Every bit of info will help.

Jon
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    -Need the system specs and details of what its doing, as dragonV8 said
    -Are you sure you orientied the board to the diagram in the mobo book correctly when you plugged in the power switch, etc. connectors?
    -Is your power strip turned on?
    -Are all the PSU connectors attached correctly, especially the one going into the motherboard?
    -Is the motherboard properly spaced away from the side of the case? Anything causing a connection between the mobo circuits and case will cause it to short out on boot.
    edited August 2004
    All power connectors are plugged in, including the mobo. Im not sure what you mean by too close to the case however.

Here are my specs:
    Mobo: P4X-266 (P4XB-S) [Via Technologies]
    CPU: 1.8 GHz P4 sock. 478
    Video card: Geforce4 MX420
    PSU: It doesn't say its brand or anything, but its 400 watt

O ya!
    Memory: Samsung 256MB 266MHz DDR SDRAM, pc2100
    edited August 2004
    All power connectors are plugged in, including the mobo. Im not sure what you mean by too close to the case however.

Here are my specs:
    Mobo: P4X-266 (P4XB-S) [Via Technologies]
    CPU: 1.8 GHz P4 sock. 478
    Video card: Geforce4 MX420
    PSU: It doesn't say its brand or anything, but its 400 watt

O ya!
    Memory: Samsung 256MB 266MHz DDR SDRAM, pc2100

Before fitting the mobo to the case, there should be about 8-10, usually brass, screw-in stand-off's (spacers). These are what the holes in the mobo line up with.

This assures the underside of the mobo doesn't make contact with the case.
    edited August 2004
    i found the psu: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-161-001&DEPA=1

im using an old hewlett packard case to do this in so it didn't have any of those screws like that. But if it is shorting it, what do i do?
    wait, it had those spacers, nvm. so what else could the problem be? My power connector doesn't fit the right way but that can't be the problem because i put a screwdriver across the contacts that should start it but it didn't do anything still. Could my mobo be fried?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Do you get anything? Does the PSU power up? fans spin? If not then I wonder about the power switch connection and the psu.

Next step is to pull it out of the case. Install only CPU and cooler, one stick of memory, video card and floppy drive. Now connect psu and switch and boot.
    edited August 2004
    Well, i get absolutely nothing. No fan or anything. Ill try that other thing but should i run it outside of the case just like sitting on a non-metal table?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Sit it on some cardboard, or a plank of wood. Anything anti-static and non-conductive.
    edited August 2004
    k hold on....
    edited August 2004
    OOOOOOHHHH CRUD! I tried it, and it worked. but now heres my problem, problems actually... first, nothing would appear on the screen, it didn't even change from the orange color led to green. 2nd, I heard a pop sound coming from the motherboard after about 15 seconds of running, I think it might have been my processor. Ill check that but does anyone know why its not viewing?

i can't get my fan off....
    edited August 2004
    Hate to state the obvious, but is the screen plugged into your mobo/graphics card?

Sorry, but it had to be said.
    edited August 2004
    yea, but ill try later after i chek on the cpu

edit: when the cpu overheats is there any physical appearance that gives that away?
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    Next move is to check that popping, then reseat the processor. Same thing happened to me. Couldn't figure it out for days, it's incredibly frustrating so I know where you're coming from.
    edited August 2004
    did u get urs working?

edit: o yea, do you have to do something with those white tabs on the retention mechanism when putting the heatsink/fan on?
    edited August 2004
    Yes I did, after reseating it. And uh, make sure you flip them ... so that they're tight..
    edited August 2004
    flip them? i don't understand, this is my first time however.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    You know i've had the same problem with my first 2 pc's I built. Both times what fixed it was taking everything apart and putting the mobo back in the static bag and rebuilding it. The secound pc I rebuilt it 3 times before it worked. It may have been I was not doing somthing right dunno but my 3rd and forth pc both turned on without a hitch.
    edited August 2004
    but what did he mean by flip the tab thingys????? My manuals don't say anything of this
    edited August 2004
    It's hard to explain, ten times more so since I don't have one on hand. You need to set them opposite direction, then set it down, the push one forward and one back, but I can't remember if there's a specific way to clamp it on...

//EDIT: I could be totally wrong. My only experience comes for a 2.8c. Maybe your clamps are different...?:-/
    edited August 2004
    are you talking about those metal tabs that lock them onto the thing? because i know how to do that. Its just that on the thing at the bottom there are four small white, about 1/8 of an inch, tabs. are they supposed to pad it from the heatsink or what?
    edited August 2004
    Heh heh. All a misunderstanding on my part, then. :) I thought you meant these white tabs on top. So just ignore anything I said previously :p
    edited August 2004
    So what did you popping sound end up being?
    edited August 2004
    I had no popping sounds. To me that sounds like the mobo shorting. You made sure you used thermal paste (or the thermal pad if it had one, but NOT both!) and that it made good contact with the cpu? Have you pulled off the heatsink yet and looked / reseatted the cpu?
    edited August 2004
    i don't think it made contact with the cpu, i do have a pre-applied strip. If it doesn't make contact with the cpu how am i supposed to make it contact?
    edited August 2004
    Well, see, the thing is, without that strip, or some good thermal compound (ArcticSilver 5, etc.) making good and full contact with the IHS, parts of the processor can overheat. I would think 15 seconds would just about be enough to send it over the edge :(. It should be making contact. If it isn't, we'll have to figure something out. I really think you should go immediately and look at the processor. Any black/brown marks that didn't seem to be there before are a bad, bad sign. Hell, I don't even know if an overheating processor makes a popping sound, but go see anyhow...Good luck :thumbsup:
    edited August 2004
    Nope, no marks, i think its fine. but the reason i don't think its touching the cpu is because i look at the thermal stuf and theres no mark where there should be one. ill try to find a picture of what im talking about with the tabs and stuf.
    edited August 2004
    Here: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/img/2003/07/value_guide/abit_865pe.jpg

There are four tabs in that image near the socket on the retention device. Am i supposed to do anything with those?
    edited August 2004
    So you had the thermal strip on there. And can you see if it's even melted at all? Or does it look exactly the same as before you installed it?

//EDIT: You mean those little white circles on all the inside corners of the black retention module?