Won't Start Up!

2»

Comments

• ThatFatCat5ThatFatCat5 Minn-eee-soda
    edited August 2004
    yes thats what i mean, and it hasn't changed since i got it.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    Definitely doesn't sound like it's making good contact, if any. Those white things, IIRC, are clips to hold the retention module to the mobo. Strange that you're not getting contact, though. I'm not a cooling expert, so I dunno what to say really. :-/
    edited August 2004
    hmmmm..... it might be making contact but it doesn't leave a mark. Is there a way to check if it is without ruining my pre-applied thermal stuf?

edit: the reason i think its something wrong with the cooler is because it doesn't seem to be making contact. I don't know what the pop came from but im assuming the cpu because of the cooler not seeming to touch it. It could be the mobo shorting but there was nothing that could be shorting it! this is really getting on my nerves.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    Not having had experience with anything less then a P4 2.4, i went through Google and found this link which had a picture of the clamp to attach the heatsink onto the mobo.

Don't know if it will help. http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1499&p=3
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Ok, the board shown from Sharky's site is a P4 board. That needs a P4 style HS ideally. NOT an Athlon-AMD style HS. The P4 retail CPU comes with a hold-down mechanism that has two levers on top. You take the levers, and swing them opposite directions, both at same time ideally, while holding CPU centered in frame. This means three hands, humans have two.

SO..... Center the P4 HS in socket, the metal HS should go down into the plastic square frame, if you look around on differnt sides of HS. You want it in the middle. Once centered, and with one hand holding HS centered, release both levers. This lets arms move down, and those arms have clips that lock into tabs. With it centered and levers released so arms move freely, push gently down on part of arm in middle that is to each side of fan, until you hear a clicking, possibly two, and arm stays in place in partly down position. Now do other arm. THEN swing both levers until things lock. Let me see if I can find the P4 HS installation instructions pdf....

Nope, this is best I can find.... http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009046.htm

IF you have a HS with no arms with clips on, we need to know what your HS looks like, might be wrong HS for that kind of board. Some HSs, you have to take the frame off, for P4 boards. Sure you have the right kind of HS????? Can you find a picture of it??? And CPU is a Penitum 4 CPU, RIGHT??? NOT AN ATHLON or other AMD CPU???
    edited August 2004
    Yes, it is a P4 motherboard, and i have the compatible one. I figured it out by myself. NVM. thanks for the help though.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Actually, the best way is to figure as much as possible out by yourself-- I do that myself, mostly 'cuz' I remember it better once lesson is learned.