Weatherbug with AIM?

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
edited August 2004 in Science & Tech
Imagine my surprise this morning to be greeted by Weatherbug on our home computer. My daughter claims it came packaged with AOL Instant Messenger. I believe her because 1) she is generally honest, and 2) the HJT log showed only the AIM download.

I used to feel comfortable with AOL downloads.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    vanagon45 wrote:
    I used to feel comfortable with AOL downloads.

AOL and I aren't on good terms
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Hey Vanagon, check your private messages :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Yes, Weatherbug is now being bundled with AOL IM. Those mother-grabbing b@stards!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It installs with AIM only if you give it the ok.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Which most people will do, not knowing any better.
    edited August 2004
    Atleast being careless will let them know the weather. ;D
    edited August 2004
    Yes, because it's too damn tough to look outside or check The Weather Channel.

"MUST...KNOW...EXACT...TEMPERATURE...WHILE...INSIDE...SITTING...AT...DESK..."
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    It installs with AIM only if you give it the ok.

Kwitko wrote:
    Which most people will do, not knowing any better.

Ya, it makes you want to write an installer with bogus messages like:

"This program must format your hard drive to continue. Press Next to format your hard drive."

User clicks Next...

"Are you a moron? We just said we are going to format your hard drive! Please click YES if you are a moron."

User clicks YES.

"Oh man, you are just too dumb to own a computer! Didn't your parents teach you how to read? If you click YES again, your computer will cease to function. Are you really sure you want to click Yes again?"

User clicks Yes...

Hard drive chugs and sputters....and dies. User scratches head....

Dexter...
  • vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member
    edited August 2004
    Dexter,

Actually there were similar messages during the uninstall process. Something like:

"Are you really sure you want to delete this program that will alert you to weather conditions that could be life-threatening?"

vanagon40 = vanagon45
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Kwitko wrote:
    Yes, because it's too damn tough to look outside or check The Weather Channel.

"MUST...KNOW...EXACT...TEMPERATURE...WHILE...INSIDE...SITTING...AT...DESK..."
    Yeah, like geeks that never go outside really need to know the weather. ;D
    edited August 2004
    Never really knowing the weather, I deduce it as such:

If it's spring time, and there's sun, it's between 65 and 72 degrees, excepting early march where it's probably between 45 and 65 degrees. If it's raining, it's 70/30% cool/warm.

If it's summer time, and there's sun, it's between 72 and 90 degrees, excepting early summer where it might be cooler. If it's raining, it's 80%/20% cool/hot.

If it's early fall, late September or early november, it's probably between 65 and 80 degrees if there's sun. Colder if there is no sun.

If it's winter, december through february in Michigan, 90/10% cool/warmer.

Now.. Who needs to "Go outside?"
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited August 2004
    AIM = bad

Trillian = ok, it may need an update every few weeks (aka Yahoo changes protocol and Trillian no longer works), but at least it has no Spyware
  • EgoShowcaseEgoShowcase North Carolina
    edited August 2004
    when you install aim it has a part where you install weather bug.
  • mostlycloudymostlycloudy third floor
    edited August 2004
    the latest versions of aim are bundles with all sorts of evil crap. big surprise? no. now what? easy:

http://oldversion.com
    http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=aim

I STRONGLY suggest AOL Instant Messenger 5.2.3292

Then it will play nicely with Aimutation: http://aimutation.com/

kiss AIM annoyances good bye. Unfortunately version 5+ doesn't seem to have the options to NOT EVER notify on new versions final or beta. very annoying. be SURE to NOT download "updates" when offered.

Or switch to Miranda

http://miranda-im.org

lastly

STAY AWAY from trillain! There, now you can't miss the warning. It's bloated, memory leaky, CRAPware, offered by immoral and heinously offensive "people". If you really must have multiprotocol support use miranda. It's free, has MORE features, MORE power, MORE plugins, MORE support, and is free. Did I mention it is free and better?

justsaynotocrapware.png
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    When you say multi protocol support....I never graduated away from ICQ (was an early adopter) but know most of you guys use AIM...does multi protocol mean it will communicate using both or either? tyia
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Pretty much. For example, Trillian can connect to ICQ, MSN, AIM, Yahoo and IRC. All your contacts will be in a contact list and you can also create multiple contact list. It's just better cause you don't need a diffrent program for each network. Each contact has a icon on the side of it with the color of the network. You can creat multiple network contacts incase you have a friend that uses muliple clients.Only downside is that it doesn't have all the special features that each client has and if one of the networks decides it doesn't like trillian, you're screwed. Have to wait till Trillian releases a patch. There are also other alternatives like Gaim and miranda.
    edited August 2004
    Sorry for the thread hijack
    STAY AWAY from trillain! There, now you can't miss the warning. It's bloated, memory leaky, CRAPware, offered by immoral and heinously offensive "people". If you really must have multiprotocol support use miranda. It's free, has MORE features, MORE power, MORE plugins, MORE support, and is free. Did I mention it is free and better?
    I've never had a memory leak and I don't see how it's crap? What can Miranda do that Trillian can't?

-edit-
    I tried Miranda IM and I don't like it. I guess I'm to used to Trillian but the contact list management sucks. No mega contacts and you can't select multiple contacts. Looks like crap. I have yet to find how to make it automatically connect when I start the program and as for memory, on my machine it uses the same amount as Trillian does. Only thing that I do like is that you don't need to install it.