Power does not always equal control...

Defcon_IVDefcon_IV Innsmouth, RI
edited August 2004 in Hardware
We just rebuilt one of our Editing bays here where I work, and everything seems to be running fine. Boots, everything powers up, all is right with the world, but once you get to the login screen you can't do a cursed thing. There is no joy in Mudville, neither the keyboard, nor the mouse work. Going back, they don't work at all, can't get into BIOS...nuffin'. Speaking of which, I'm going to go have a muffin, and try out some USB devices. If anyone has any ideas what may be up, give a shout.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Check the CMOS battery, maybe?

I read your thread title and it made me think of golf. ;)
  • Defcon_IVDefcon_IV Innsmouth, RI
    edited August 2004
    Big negative on the USB, USB doesn't even have power. CMOS battery looks fine, it's in completely, but I don't have another one unless I strip down a computer.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Defcon_IV wrote:
    Big negative on the USB, USB doesn't even have power. CMOS battery looks fine, it's in completely, but I don't have another one unless I strip down a computer.

Um, TRY this (experimentally):

IF this is hooked to a KVM, plug into computer that seems to have no keyboard and mouse directly, with PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse. IF things work, I THINK you have a KVM that is emulating PS2. On some new systems with old KVMs, answer has proven to be to enable LEGACY PS2 support in BIOS.

Also, some USB capable KVMs have the propensity, if they also have legacy PS2 support, to not support USB right while PS2 support is enabled.

And, some OSs need the same lagacy settings. Windows can get along with this also, legacy support can be on.

Also, if configuring around that way does not work, AND you have KVM, any one bad keybaord or mouse cable can cause a PS2 or USB controller lock on motherboard until cable is replaced. Too long a cable can also lose signal such that PS2 or USB signals are unreliable at end of cable. An externally powered USB hub can work as a RELAY, but it needs to be externally powered or it will eat power to keyboard to boost.

Some ideas to experiment with, to determine which of these suits your situation I need empirical data from experiments in these areas.
  • Defcon_IVDefcon_IV Innsmouth, RI
    edited August 2004
    I don't have a KVM. These are direct hook-
    ups.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    Tried clearing the CMOS?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    What hardware?
    I presume that you have gone to default bios settings.
    What OS?