NF7-S or NF7-S2?

edited August 2004 in Hardware
We're giving a new computer to my older sister as her P2 333 + LX6 mobo is REALLY starting to become a pain to deal with. To remedy this, we will upgrade one of the main family machines with a new mobo, and give the old mobo to my sister.

Thing is, Newegg doesn't carry the "old" NF7-S’ anymore, and only has the NF7-S2. Because of this, I have the option to swap my current NF7-S with the S2, but aside from the slightly different PCB and passive heatsinks on BOTH the north and south bridge, I can't see a real difference between the two boards.

So my question is this: Is it worth swapping an NF7-S rev. 2 for an NF7-S2? Does one perform any better than the other? If I were to swap, would I have to reinstall (or repair install) Windows?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    i thought the nf7-s2 == nf7-s rev. 2. while we're at it, the nf7-s2 ultra that is listed on newegg for $88, what's the difference between it and the $68 and $94 models? it looks to me like better audio, am i right?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    So my question is this: Is it worth swapping an NF7-S rev. 2 for an NF7-S2? Does one perform any better than the other? If I were to swap, would I have to reinstall (or repair install) Windows?

I don't think that the S2 has multiplyer settings ...so no overclocking an unlocked chip. Unless something has changed in the past few weeks.

Here's a link to a thread @ abit-usa forums if you're interested.
    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=55462
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Newegg still has the NF7-S rev 2.0 and the NF7-S2 is kind of like a cheeze-wizzed replacement for the old NF7 board that the egg doesn't have anymore.
  • edited August 2004
    There are a lot of negatives with the NF7-S2. First of all, it has no multiplier adjustments in bios. Secondly, Soundstorm has also been dropped, so you have to spend more money for good sound quality. Last negative in my opinion is the worst; they have dropped the 3 phase power circuitry of the original NF7-S series and went with a 2 phase solution, which is a giant step backwards. :mean:

You might check and see if www.excaliberpc.com has the NF7-S still; that was who I bought mine from and they had a competitive price on it too.

I just checked and they have it for $91 shipped
  • edited August 2004
    Hmm.... suppose I better cancel that order...

Thanks guys! That would have been a pretty big mistake.

What's the scoop with the ASUS A7N8X-X? It's on sale at NE.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    excellent board for stock systems, as well as mild-moderate OCing.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited August 2004
    Keep your board and buy the S2 for your sister