Radeon 9800m... I just had a really good idea

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited August 2004 in Hardware
The r9800m is based on the x800 pro, right? Right. The 9800m is basically an underclocked (i think) x800 with power saving technology. It's still a 12-pipeline, 256-bit card.

So, what if the 9800m can be unlocked to have 16 pipelines the way the x800 pro can? Anyone seen anything about this being tried? Can the x800 Pro be softmodded, or is it a hardware only thing?

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    The r9800m is based on the x800 pro, right? Right. The 9800m is basically an underclocked (i think) x800 with power saving technology. It's still a 12-pipeline, 256-bit card.

So, what if the 9800m can be unlocked to have 16 pipelines the way the x800 pro can? Anyone seen anything about this being tried? Can the x800 Pro be softmodded, or is it a hardware only thing?

but isn't the reason that the extra 16 pipelines can be unlocked on the pro is that both cards are built on the same pcb, so it has those extra 4 pipelines built on, just not used?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    Yes. I'm assuming that the 9800m GPU itself is physically the same (at least as far as pipelines and all go) as its desktop counterpart.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2004
    I take it these cards are modified to fit only in a laptop? And that you got one with your new laptop?
    edited August 2004
    Well, there's no reason why say, Sapphire couldn't make a Mobile Radeon 9800 agp card- it's been done before with other mobile GPUs- but yes, the XPS I ordered has a 9800m in it. :D
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    OFFTOPIC, Geeky what is the pulse thing in your sig.
    edited August 2004
    Pfft. :(

Hehe. I was looking around on Google and I saw something exactly what you're looking for. Turns out it was you at Rage3D :p So close, yet so far away!

//EDIT: leishi: http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18099 :)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    ooh, thanks
    edited August 2004
    Anyways, Geeky, I'm not sure now. I was gonna say go for it, and if it bombs jack a PCI card in there and reflash. But, after reading this, I'm not so sure....

Specifications & Features of the ATi Mobility Radeon 9800
    An 8-Pipe X800 For Your Notebook

So, it isn't 12 pipes. Even if it was possible, what you'd be doing is effectively doubling the core's potency. Most desktop cards can handle an extra 4 pipes, but 8? I don't know, man. Sounds awful risky. As you know, cores are degraded because they were tested to not be able to handle those extra 4 pipes. Now, if you think about it, since these are based on the x800 core, these must've been the worst of the worst. ATi decided they can't even handle being a 12-pipe x800pro, so they dropped it down 4 more. If there was a way to just go to an x800pro, I would say try that. Going to an XT sounds very iffy, though.
  • edited August 2004
    You also have to figure in the extra heat production if the extra pipe are enabled too. I know that the mobile 9700 vid subsection on my laptop can't handle overclocking the gpu clock very much at all and I'm pretty sure it's because of the cooling solution on the gpu. I would think that extra active pipes=extra heat production which the gpu heat sink might not be able to handle.
    edited August 2004
    Yes, you definitely get noticeable heat increase with 4 pipes. Now, imagine unlocking 8 pipes, if it's even possible, if the core can even handle it, including all the increased core & memory mhz. :eek2:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Remember what forum Geeky mods. I think he can take the extra heat.;)
    edited August 2004
    Heh, but in a laptop he hasn't figured out how to get open yet? :p
    edited August 2004
    Oh, I can get it open without a problem. And actually, I probably wouldn't even need to... the question is whether or not I want to risk opening it or not. :p
    edited August 2004
    Bah! Close enough. So have you found out any more information as to whether this is feasable? I'm really interested...
  • edited August 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Remember what forum Geeky mods. I think he can take the extra heat.;)

Maybe so but remember, it's a laptop. There isn't room for him to stick a 1U copper hsf under the keyboard. ;D
    edited August 2004
    Mudd: you've obviously forgotten about my laptop cooling fans... Shall I refresh your memory? ;D