Notebook: Which Video? Which CPU?

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited August 2004 in Hardware
OK we've been here before but we're going there again.

CPU: compare A64 3200+ vs P4 3.06 vs P4M whatchamacallit 1.7

I suspect 3200+ rules the roost, a couple of you guys have em, how they holding up?

Video - can't afford a 9700M or 9800M. What I see advertised locally are various ATI's like 9000, 9200, and so forth, and various NVidia's like 5200, 440, etc etc. Iyam clueless as to which is which, there are many more listed than what I stated above. What am I looking for and looking to avoid?

Primarily a surfing rig but *some* gaming will be done on it.

:banghead: :Canflag:

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Here's what's on sale locally, sale ends today. All are 15.4" Widescreen with no other screen specs stated.

Rig 1 - Compaq, A64 3200+, 512 MB, 60G HD, DVD RW, 64MB GeForce 440, 802.11g $2200 CDN

Rig 2 - Compaq, Centrino *no speed stated, guessing 1.4 or 1.5*, 512 MB, 80G HD, CD RW/DVD, 64MB GeForce 5200, 802.11g, $2100 CDN

Rig 3 - HP, P4 2.8, 512MB, 60G HD, CD RW/DVD, 128MB Radeon 9000, 802.11g, $1800 CDN

for $100 cheaper, the same as above EXCEPT 2.66 P4 and video is listed as "64MB ATI Radeon" so it could be anything.

I am loathe to go with Compaq or HP tho my primary experience was with a desktop PII 400 that ended up being virtually non-upgradeable and a horrible deal. It never broke down on me tho.

For US viewers, take $CDN X .75 to get a *rough* idea of what I'm looking at in $US.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    Take a look at Eurocom... www.eurocom.ca

They have a number of excellent notebooks (a lot of them are OEMd by Clevo, and they're identical to Sagers' notebooks) that fall in your price range. :)
    edited August 2004
    Thx.

But back to my list, if you had to chose at gunpoint would it be GeForce 440 or 5200? both are 64MB
    edited August 2004
    440. Even if it's slower (which I doubt it is, but I honestly don't know). I won't touch a 5200, on principle if for no other reason.
  • edited August 2004
    I would say that what you choose depends on how you want to use the laptop. If you plan to mainly use it as a portable desktop system and rarely use it on battery, then a P4 system would do ok. If you do plan to occasionaly use it on battery then the Pentium M or the A64 would be the better choice. Another aspect to think of is weight. I don't know what the A64 systems weigh in at but generally the Pentium M machines are quite a bit lighter than a P4 laptop or even a mobile XP (not A64) system in my experience. Of course there are exceptions to the rule on weight but that is a generalized statement.

Also in my experience, the P4 and Celeron(netburst) laptops I've used didn't feel as responsive as my Pentium M laptop or even my old P3 laptop, but my experience is basically with Dell Lattitude P4's on the job.

Hope this helps some, keto. :)
    edited August 2004
    Well, I've got about 40 minutes to finalize a sale - if I decide to jump, which is far from certain. Gonna wander down there n have a look (Future Shop).
    edited August 2004
    Thx for the advice, G1 & Mudd. It is really intended to be a desktop replacement, primarily used in hotel rooms tho there may be occasions where the family wants to watch a DVD on the road - no big deal to get a 12v adapter.

OK passed on the sale items. All of the above were integrated graphics. Pricing on separate vid card systems started a couple hun higher, a Sony with a 9700 was $2800 and not in stock.

The salesman was a good looking well spoken young guy, I bet he sells extras by the ton. He offered me a """DEAL""" on the Sony - $100 off if I took the $500 3 year warranty, for $3200 total. I'm not sure who walked away faster, me or him. But I can see some of the ladies swooning and handing over their purses to this kid, he was good.

Still no lappy for keto.
    edited August 2004
    Keto, what's the most you'd spend?
    edited August 2004
    Well, was looking at the A64+ @ $2200 + 7% GST - the only caveat is that it was also 0% finance for 24 months, which was/is worth something to me too.

Two grand was/is the rough budget, and I realize that won't likely get me what I want by about a grand. This is a luxury item, far far from a necessity and so can easily be bypassed.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited August 2004
    http://pctorque.com/4750.php

for under 2000 + it has the 9700M w128 meg
    edited August 2004
    Sorry....$2000 CDN = roughly $1500 USD ...again, that's a 'loose' budget. The cheaper of the 2 in that link would run me about $28-2900 CDN after taxes, import brokerage, and shipping. Too much.
    edited August 2004
    Eurocom D400V

2.4 Prescott (533/1MB), 512MB DDR, 15" SXGA+ driven by a 9600m/128mb, 30GB/4200RPM HDD, CD-RW/DVD combo drive: 1899.00 CAD.
    edited August 2004
    I'm a lot like you, G1...I hate settling for 2nd best.

That unit has no O/S, I'd want a faster HD (bigger not important), a 2.4 PressHot doesn't impress me so that needs to be upgraded....y'know where I'm headed here? $3 grand again. So it's gonna be either step up or step back and the latter is looking like primary option for now. No sweat, as noted above it's a luxury not a need.
    edited August 2004
    Well, then you have a problem. :-/ I just configured a near top of the line Eurocom D470K- A64 3700+ DTR, 1GB, 9700m, 17" WSXGA+ (1680x1050), 60GB/7200RPM HDD, integrated .11b/g and bluetooth, and XP Pro... it came out to 4783.00 CAD. :-X
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I feel for you Keto. I too have been looking to replace a perfectly good Toshiba P3 notebook.
    I want a P'M' with ATI graphics (9600 at least). There are a few options out there. But by the time you add any features, such as memory or hdd the price is $1650, before shipping and tax.
    I guess that I wait. And watch to see what others are doing.....
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    keto, I'd recommend the A64 3200+ in a notebook any day. I love mine more than I love my desktop machine. My only problem is the weak graphics (9600M) compared to a desktop rig - but for your purposes, that first Compaq you listed would work just fine.
    edited August 2004
    Holy bananas. New flyer out this morning, the A64 is down to $1800. Still worried about integrated graphix but may take the plunge anyways at that price.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited August 2004
    see if you can find one of these

they go for 1500 us

eMachines Notebook with AMD Mobile Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+
    Model: M6810
    edited August 2004
    What make/model is the A64? I have yet to see an a64 notebook with integrated gfx...
    edited August 2004
    Neither BestBuy (a separate Canadian company, related in name only to the US version) nor Future shop nor TigerDirect.ca carry that machine )):
  • edited August 2004
    One other thing for you folks pondering a laptop buy in the fairly near future is that Intel will be introducing a 2.1 GHz P-M in October, which will drop the price on the 2.0 by around $200 US and also lower the cost for the rest of the Dothan line too. I read this yesterday at The Inquirer here .
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited August 2004
    Is an eMachine really a good suggestion?
    edited August 2004
    I was skeptical too. Reading various bb's, they seem to be exceptional value for money. The only complaints I've seen are a) one hinge is apparently prone to cracking. b) the only available OS is XP Home. Both of these are relatively minor in my books. Just can't find one that I don't have to import.
    edited August 2004
    Handled properly, they shouldn't be prone to cracking. Hinges crack because people don't operate them properly. :-/
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Nope, the hinge really IS prone to cracking. I haven't been rough with mine at all, and my hinge is cracked. The way the case is designed, if you shut the lid all the way, it strains the hinge. A few weeks of that, and cracko! Luckily, I bought the Best Buy service plan. Three more issues in 3 years, and I get a new notebook for free!

I really love my M6809 though.
    edited August 2004
    Bought one. Have 14 days to test, can take it back for 100% no questions asked refund to Best Buy. It's a Toshiba M30 Centrino (linky, tho it's no fully configured) with WinXP Home and
    • Pentium M 1.60
    • 512 MB RAM
    • NVidia 5200 64MB (more on this later)
    • fwiw, upgraded Harmon Kardon speakers

Here's the deal: it was advertised at BB for $1999 in this morning's flyer, which was a mistake - they have a disclaimer in store saying it's $2299 but they will honour $1999 until they run out of a handful of units in stock. Which they will do today, they sold 2 more while I was there. I quickly ran to Future Shop to check pricing, the IDENTICAL unit was on the shelf at $2599.

Given the 14 day return policy, I figgered no harm in trying it out. I'll load up Doom3 (if I can) and a few other games, watch a few DVD's. If it's horrible, back it goes.

I also did something I totally don't believe in - I bought the extended service plan, 3 years worth. I've heard lots of ugly stories about laptops and am *just* leery enough to think that a few bux a month for a) in store service instead of shipping to Toshiba Toronto b) total replacement if 60 days in service or if serviced for any 4 items in 3 years is worthwhile. So, time to go load it up and see how she flies.

Oh yeah, and I made them fire it up in store, the screen is 100% fine.
  • edited August 2004
    acer has a notebook that has a p4 3.00 with ht, a 9700 pro, and 512 mb of ram for just 1499.99. I didnt think that was too bad of a price.
    edited August 2004
    Think I'm going to keep the one I got. SPECTACULAR screen, so bright and so crisp. Watched a movie (daughter picked, I suffered thru "13 Going On 30"), great looking picture. Doom3 runs at 800X600 unplayable, 640X480 low detail is a little rough but playable.

Adding it to the home network was no problem, and it gets a very clean signal from our wireless router. Anything I've done so far has been very responsive.

The bundled software is very minimal but thats no big deal to me at all.

It's been Folding for 24 hours now, is on 3rd WU.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited August 2004
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18097

I suggest that you replace the thermal paste with your favorite thermal paste as soon as possible and not get stuck with my thermal paste problem, that is if your CPU is not stuck to your heatsink.
    edited August 2004
    Wow thanx for the heads up, I missed that thread.