can you direct me

KometeKomete Member
edited September 2004 in Hardware
Afternoon all, Over the next month or 2 I'm going to be doing a ghetto watercooling setup. I really think you guys will love it when you see it.

I have the radiator and it's massive so I'm thinking I don't need too powerfull of a water pump. I'm looking for a small but cheap pump Is there anything out there in the $10 to $15 range? I'm almost tempted to go look at petco and check on water pumps for fish tanks.

My goal is to compleat all this for under $75.00 bucks. I kinda want to take the european route and go for a more effecient desighn with sexy smaller tubes than full throttle massive cooling tubes.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    All I can say is that you usually get what you pay for. I don't think you'll be able to pull this one off, honestly :-/:(
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    All I can say is that you usually get what you pay for. I don't think you'll be able to pull this one off, honestly :-/:(
    Ye who have little faith :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2004
    Wal-Mart sells boat bilge pumps that put out about 500GPH for close to the price you're looking for and the run on 12v but draw about 18w with a surge of roughly twice that.
    I'm not certain how long they're rated for but they are submersible (actually they only run that way) and feature a 3/4" output.
    I've got one somewhere that a friend gave me and running with no hose it moves a very impressive amount of water but it's more than a wee bit noisy.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    madmat wrote:
    Wal-Mart sells boat bilge pumps that put out about 500GPH for close to the price you're looking for and the run on 12v but draw about 18w with a surge of roughly twice that.
    I'm not certain how long they're rated for but they are submersible (actually they only run that way) and feature a 3/4" output.
    I've got one somewhere that a friend gave me and running with no hose it moves a very impressive amount of water but it's more than a wee bit noisy.

Thanks for the reply Bro. Submergables seem to be some of the cheaper ones price wise and add more to the pressure. The bad side is they exhaust the heat into the water. I'm kinda leaning towards 1 to 2 fish tank pumps.

I pretty much have the disign all worked out and drawn out. It's going to be an out the box cube type system.

Right now I have 3 problems I'm working out
    1) Getting a nice block and still staying within my target price range.
    2) Some possible welding might be needed but I think I may be able to avoid that with sodder or epoxy.
    3) The wiring and getting it all to work off my Power supply.

Over this week end I'm going to do a last run for possible materiels for the outer shell of cube. So far Lowes is the winner at 8 bucks for a metel inclosure but I really want acrylic. I may just mod some windows.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Definitely gonna want pics if you pull this off :thumbsup:
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Definitely gonna want pics if you pull this off :thumbsup:

No doubt bro.. wether it's a hit or miss :thumbsup:
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2004
    please dont fry anything.... i'd feel sorry for your computer =/
    ;p good luck =D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    JChretien wrote:
    please dont fry anything.... i'd feel sorry for your computer =/
    ;p good luck =D

Well I have a Duron 750 that'll be the crash dummy lol if all goes well there then comes the mobile 2500xp :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Look for Little Giant pumps. I have had them run continously for years and they are not too expensive.
    Just remember to use large hoses and minimal fittings. Pressure drop and flow restriction is what kills pump output.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    Look for Little Giant pumps. I have had them run continously for years and they are not too expensive.
    Just remember to use large hoses and minimal fittings. Pressure drop and flow restriction is what kills pump output.

Will do man.. I'll go out and pick one up this week end.

I just started work on my Cube if you want to call it that. I don't think my wrist and for arms has ever gotten so much of a work out before. It's going to take me at least 30 man hours to get this done. Wish I had more power tools :mean: :banghead:

Over the week end I'm going to build a very simple gheto water cooling rig to tide me over till I get the main project done. Or esle it's going to kill me having a swifteck waterblock sitting here not being used. I'll posts some picks of the ghetto rig next wendsday when the swiftek comes in.

Hi hoe hi hoe off to work I go. Try and get a little more done before I go to bed.

Thanks again
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2004
    I have several water blocks, pumps, hose, clamps and all kinds of crap I'll make you a deal on.

Tex
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    Sup Tex, yea man PM me and let me know what you have and what are you willing to part with them for. This 40 buck tiny swifteck block is killing my sense of logic. wouldn't mind sending it right back to save some dough.

I'm most interested in a waterblock and pump.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2004
    I have two or three waterblocks and at least two or three pumps. One is a danger den block I was using a thing to hold it down I made out of acrylic plastic and I may not have it but its easy to make another one or you could buy one but it takes ten minutes to make one.

Pm or email me and I'll dig all the crap out tomorrow and make you a big goodie bag with all the parts. We can work something out I'm sure.

Tex