I would LIKE to overclock...

2»

Comments

• edited August 2004
    I've bought a liscense key from www.9software.com a couple of months ago and they were good to deal with. They have Win98 first edition cd's for $55 and win98 second edition cd's for $76. Both are oem versions(original equipment manufacturer). The best deal for you there is the Windows 2000 Pro for $82 though; that's a good, stable operating system and operates with the latest and greatest hardware too, which might give you trouble with on Win98.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    listen up pal. we all started where you are. we all made the same mistake, threw money away on crap. you see when you get your ram for the emachine, you'll install it and then your computer will be a tad faster. but then you'll catch the bug, when you tinker with them computer all the time so you can eek out every bitof performance possible. and then you'll want to buy new parts and upgrade more, but you wont want to go too far because you already wasted $100 on PC100 ram, and then you'll get frustrated, and on and on.... For the love of God man!!! Listen to the voice of experience. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON OLD RAM FOR AN OLD COMPUTER!!!!!! Do this, the moment you get that computer, format the hard drive, and install whatever windows you want, not ME though. play with it, leanr how to use it, take it apart, put it back together, tweak it, install linux on it, learn. by this time, you'll have saved up some money. That's when you can afford to upgrade it like everyone's shown you for around $250. I'm telling you, if you spend any money on RAM for this piece of crap computer, you might as well be burning your cash.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Aight this is what I'll do for you. Send me your adress in a private messege and I'll send you some sticks of pc100 or pc133 fo free. I have about 8 sticks in my old harware box. It's gunna suck ass going into my atic and digging out my old p2 puter to make sure the sticks still work but I would hate to see you waste your dough.

Once you get it and install and see it still takes 2 and a half minutes to boot into windows becouse of the slow hard drive and decide to save and build a new system you can send me back the memory. If I can find my win 98 cd key I'll send you my legit copy of it also. I pray to never have to go back to that OS.
  • edited August 2004
    SpywareShooter:

Give that computer to somebody that
    doesn't have one. Don't spend one dime on it.
    It ain't worth it!
    I get computers like that all the time and I
    give them away or take them apart and recycle
    what I can. Go with what Komete and Muddocktor
    say. Give it up man, it's not worth it!
  • edited August 2004
    Way to go Komete!
    Wish there where more like you!
  • edited August 2004
    Dito, Kanezfan!
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited August 2004
    Sorry, Komete. I would say yes, but I don't even give my address out to my real life friends, nevermind people online. One of my friends has an old Windows 95 that he has some extra RAM in. I might be able to get that for free. It would work in this computer right?
    edited August 2004
    probably, but i bet it'll end up being pc66, and forget it, i dont know why you wont listen to us.
    edited August 2004
    What is the difference between pc66 and whatever I have?
    edited August 2004
    the ram runs at different frequencies. celeron 566s were the first celys to run on a 100 mhz bus i believe. so basically, you will end up running different speed ram which can lead to system crashes and files becoming corrupted.
    edited August 2004
    This computer has a 66MHz system bus. Does the 66 in pc66 mean a 66MHz system bus?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    Sorry, Komete. I would say yes, but I don't even give my address out to my real life friends, nevermind people online. One of my friends has an old Windows 95 that he has some extra RAM in. I might be able to get that for free. It would work in this computer right?

No problem man I might be tempted to fly out to wherever you live bust in your window and steal that little 533 celron system and make it fold 24/7.. muhaha

But since I did dig all that crap out of my storage closet I might as well put it up on ebay and see what I can get. I'm going to auction all of it in one big lot. Memory sticks mobos cdroms power supplies the whole gambit of crap. I must have about 40 items or so. I wonder if I could get enough to build a small htpc for my widescreen $350.00 elcheapo style :)
  • edited August 2004
    Hey SpywareShooter:

I got a real good idea man!
    There are plenty of books on the basics of upgrading computers...why don't you go and read one?

All it would take you is an afternoon and you'd have it down pat.

Komete--> That was a very nice thing you offered to do. You're a very nice person!
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Take the RAM out of that machine and stick it in yours then reinsall some version of windows, something from the 9x series would be best.
  • edited August 2004
    the sd ram is a problem
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    speed_x wrote:
    Hey SpywareShooter:

IKomete--> That was a very nice thing you offered to do. You're a very nice person!
    Ahh it aint notin but a chicken wang :)

I went ahead and starting posting stuff on ebay. So far I got 10 auctions going and I think I'll probably have another ten more to go. I only ended up finding 2 sticks of pc133 and one stick of pc100. I know I have more just gotta find it :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3836819750
    edited August 2004
    So would my RAM be pc66 where I have a 66MHz system bus?
  • edited August 2004
    So would my RAM be pc66 where I have a 66MHz system bus?

It could be either pc66 or pc100 or maybe even pc133 as they all fit the same dimm slot. The higher rated ram is pretty much downwardly compatible except for a few old motherboards. If you are still serious about upgrading the ram on that old box and don't trust people here on this forum, you always try to buy some on ebay; I looked there and there were quite a few listings for pc100 128 MB sticks for auction or sale. Of course, you generally won't know who you are dealing with on ebay either.
    edited August 2004
    I would be skeptical about buying it on ebay too. We've done things on ebay before, and it has come out fine. So its okay if I have pc66 (not sure what I have) to buy pc100?
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I goty ripped off on a Pool Cue using eBay. The cue is still worth it in my eyes, but it wasn't what I was told it was. Something tells me that PC100 will work fine in your machine, and yes, 128 along with your current ram should work fine.
    edited August 2004
    Crucial says my computer uses pc100. I might get it from them. Only $50 for 128MB.
  • edited August 2004
    Yeah, if you don't mind paying that much, Crucial will do just fine. Their SDRAM is some of the best out there and their warrantee service is superb..
    edited September 2004
    I'm getting sick of this slow piece of crap and people like "DOWNLOAD MSN 6.0!!" and download this, download that. Right now I can't download anything, since all of my RAM is used to run my OS =\. I'll pay $50 to fix (or improve) it.