abit ic7-g max II vs. msi 875p neo-fisr

rykoryko new york
edited August 2004 in Hardware
I have a friend who wants me to help him build a new machine. He already has most parts including a 3.0E s478 cpu, 512mb kit of ocz pc4000, and a few old hdd's, but he is stuck between the 2 boards in the title. BTW, he and i will try to overclock this thing as much as possible, so that is what we are aiming for....high speeds and stability.

Price is pretty close with the msi being about $20 more than the abit. But you get 8ch audio for that extra $20.

I have never used an msi board before, and i was wondering what everyone thinks of them...especially the 875p neo-fisr.

I guess i am leaning towards the ic7-g max II b/c i really like my abit board, but i know that the vdimm voltage only goes to 2.8 on the abit, while the 875p neo-fisr vdimm goes to 3.2. Will this really matter that much?

If i could only find an ic7-g maxIII, i would suggest that.....

Thanks for the opinions!

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    hello???......anybody.......
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    MSI, and here's why:
    1. The ABIT is a piece of crap
    2. The ABIT reads temperatures 20-30*C+ TOO HIGH
    3. The ABIT is a piece of crap
    4. The Thermalright XP-120 won't fit on the ABIT, but it *might* fit on the MSI
    5. The ABIT is a piece of crap
    6. Did I mention that the ABIT is a piece of crap?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    why is the abit a piece of crap?

and how can i find out for sure if the xp-120 will fit the msi?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    But the MSI has a rep for not liking to OC.
    What about the ASUS P4(C or P)800.
    The Abit IS-7 was know as a mighty OC board, can you find one?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2004
    Yeah, my friend wants to stick to 875p chipsets b/c he is "upgrading" from an 865pe. And he won't touch anything asus b/c his p4p800 se just crapped out on him and took his corsair pc3200ll and 2.6c with it. I personally think his apartment got struck by lightning or something...b/c i don't know how he fried everything just by overclocking. The strange thing is that his hdd's survived...

Anyway, this is why i volunteered my services to help him build his next machine. I am not sure if he put everything together correctly on his first build (the asus box), so maybe i can help him get things right this time.