Windows Log On Password

edited August 2004 in Hardware
My freind @ work has a Toshiba Satelite(Lap Top), it has Windows 98 on it and he forgot his password to log onto Windows. Any sugestions for bypassing or reseting his password on his Lap Top would be much apreciated.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    As long as he is not connected to a network, just hit cancel and it will go to desktop :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    As long as he is not connected to a network, just hit cancel and it will go to desktop :)

Yup. Gotta love that win98 security, huh? ;D;D
  • edited August 2004
    Unfortunatly He tryed that, only problem is theres no cancel icon or icons period just the word "Password" and a feild to type it in. Any other sugestions?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    You are sure that it isn't a network login?
    He should be able to use esc to cancel the login box and get access.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited August 2004
    ...Or think real hard and try to remember the password. That should log you in! ;D
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2004
    heh...

boot into safe mode.. delete all pwl files...

x
  • edited August 2004
    Sounds like he might have activated a password setting in the bios; I used to do that when I had Win98 on an old laptop I used to have. He needs to see if he can find some kind of manual on that old laptop that might show a cmos reset jumper or find out where the bios battery is connected to the mobo so he can disconnect the battery and rest the bios.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited August 2004
    Gobbles wrote:
    heh...

boot into safe mode.. delete all pwl files...

x

I would concur. Win98 stores your passwords in a .pwl file usally it will be username.pwl