Antec TruePower 430

BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
edited August 2004 in Hardware
hey guys, This PSU is pretty good, I just have one question. Why are the Fan Only connectors so weak? The fans that i have connected to the m/b are normal running full speed and brighter then ever, The fans i have attatched to the fan only connectors are running so slow that they arent even pushing air and the lights are very,very dim is this normal?

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited August 2004
    Glad you asked that question. I have the same PSU in one machine, I connected the fans and they ran slow. Measured the voltage and there's only 7 volts on them. Why is this? What are Antec playing at?

I just used the normal 12V supply in the end and tucked the flying leads for fans only out the way.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited August 2004
    AFAIK, all the TP PSU's with Fan Only connectors regulate the voltage to each fan according to the temperature of the system.

Temps go up... voltage increases & airflow increases.
    Temps do down... voltage decreases & airflow decreases.

It's for noise mostly. :)
  • edited August 2004
    Yup. I contacted Antec a couple years ago about it, and they said it wil switch the voltage from 7 to 12 once the internal PSU temp is above 48*C.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2004
    Yep its on 7Vs.
  • edited August 2004
    The supply to the fan only connectors is the same supply as the fans inside PSU run on, it's fully temp controlled. It's for making a computer quieter and using the PSU temp as the rule by which the case fans run by.
    I also called Antec about it and I was informed that you can run 4 of the biggest nastiest fans you want (read that Delta 120x38mm high flow fans) on that header and not have any problems which would mean that when the PSU did start to get pretty warm you'd definitely have some airflow in the case but under more optimal conditions you'd have decent flow and some quiet too.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    only 4 of those things? they only push like 190cfm each... :-x
  • edited August 2004
    Yeppers but at 7v they're not all that bad and as the PSU temp increases they'll roll up in speed just like the PSU fans do so hopefully they wouldn't get too loud and reach a happy medium.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    But, but... see, you're only looking at like 760CFM there, at most. If it could run like 8 or 10 of them, then I'd be interested. :D
  • BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
    edited August 2004
    wow 760cfm.... ud need ear plugs to go on that computer
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2004
    My 120mm fans don't get enough juice to spin when connected to the fan only connectors. I didn't realise the voltages were regulated/adjustable though I thought it was 7v permanent. In that case I may reconnect my 120mm fans back up then as the temps rise the fans will come on hopefully, I'll have to monitor the cpu temps carefully though just to be safe. Thanks for the info.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2004
    Ok so I just connected up a Papst 120mm fan to the fan only connector and it spins. That freed up the zalman fan controller which is now connected to the front 120mm and all I can say is wow, this rig is now as quiet or quieter than my water cooled rig. All I can hear are the hard drives, this is truly fan-tastic (please excuse the pun) Thanks guys and apologies for the thread hijack. :thumbsup:

Just have to keep any eye on the temps.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited August 2004
    Thanks to those who supplied the info about the fan connectors being temp controlled, cleared up a bit of a mystery for me, that one.

I'm having a few probs atm keeping my XP3200 cool, am considering water cooling.

Recently used 3 x Vantec 80mm tornados, 1 on CPU, other two on inlet (Lian Li PC61 case) and it did bring the temps down, but.... the noise! Jeez, I put up with it for about half an hour, they had to go. Now wondering whether to try them again on those Antec fan connectors.
  • edited August 2004
    It wouldn't hurt as long as they get enough voltage to spin up...they will be far quieter on the fan only connectors.
  • edited August 2004
    I only have one fan on the "Fan only" rail. It'd be intresting to hear other people's opinions on using their fans on them exclusivly.
  • BaLLeRBaLLeR Boca Raton, Florida
    edited August 2004
    id rather keep them on the regular constant 12v connection, i dont like to see them spin very slow and glow very dim.