Modded Radeon 9800 Overheating?

edited August 2004 in Hardware
I modded my non-pro Sapphire 9800 to the pro version this afternoon and after a lot of tweaking and messing with drivers, it seems to be working. Noticably faster, might I add. My Doom 3 benchmark jumped up by just under 30%.

I read the thread about overheating with the 3.8 catalyst driver. What I'd like to ask is, what are the signs of overheating? Can I expect it to crash before the card fails/melts/bursts into flames? Or something that would indicate it's overheating before it fails completely? I'm using the stock heatsink/fan.

Next up, the overheating thread was from October last year I think. It specifically mentioned the 3.8 driver. I'm using the 4.8 driver. Are there any known issues with that version?

Thanks;

Matt

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2004
    if it overheats expect artifacts i think... its never really happened to me.. and i dont think it'll ever happen to me... heheh if you worry about overheating, go slap a cpu heatsink on your gpu, just like me =D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2004
    The overheating issue was never directly linked to the cat 3.8s, although there was a lot of circumstantial evidence. Regardless, there are no known problems with the 4.8s, no.