Sempron vs. tBred

t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
edited September 2004 in Hardware
A cheap friend of mine wants me to build them a computer. And as far as cheap processors go, you really can't beat the prices of the Semprons or tBreds.
At my local computer shop, I can either get a tBred B 2000+ or a Sempron 2400 for the same price (~$80 CDN). The motherboard I have chosen will support both, and the max FSB is 166.

Should I get the tBred and oc to 166fsb, or throw in a stock Sempron? :scratch:

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    Well, the performance will be fairly comparable between the two CPUs in stock situations, with a slight edge going to the Sempron. Will you be upgrading the cooling? If not, I'd recommend against trying to OC the T-Bred chip. If you are upgrading cooling, I'd recommend getting an XP2100+ TBred, and OC'ing to 166 FSB.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Well, the performance will be fairly comparable between the two CPUs in stock situations, with a slight edge going to the Sempron. Will you be upgrading the cooling? If not, I'd recommend against trying to OC the T-Bred chip. If you are upgrading cooling, I'd recommend getting an XP2100+ TBred, and OC'ing to 166 FSB.

To keep with my friends cheap nature, I am planning on using the stock cooling w/ a bit of AS5.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    In that case, I'd definitely recommend going with a stock Sempron.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2004
    Both operate at the same frequency of 1.67 GHz but if I remember correctly the Athlon XP 200+ has a 266 FSB while the Sempron 2400+ has a 333 FSB.

Sempron will therefore edge out the XP due to the faster FSB.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2004
    And I think you're insane to run either one with the stock cooling. You must have a decent heatsink sitting around you can give to him for like $5, if not for free... sure, it's not your problem if it cooks itself to death, but think of how the poor CPU would feel. Cooking yourself to death can ruin your whole day. Your whole week, even. :D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited September 2004
    Man Talk some since into the dude. Go with a mid range nforce2 chipset and get a Mobile 2400 or 2500 barton cpu. Clock it at 3200 or 3400 speeds and live happily ever after. Spending an extra 30 bucks for a mobile cpu and heatsink will go so much further than getting a hacked up xp cpu (sempron).
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2004
    hm iirc, Tbreds have 256k L2, same as the sempron.. anyways i've recently built a sempron and its pretty good.. its folding for me right now =D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2004
    I have 2200+ Sempron I bought WITH a ECS MB for 49 bucks total at fry's. It was just to test some stuff out with and I had an old TINY aluminum hsf laying around I bolted on and the cpu idles at 34 degrees. You do NOT need a serious HSF for these things. Its litteraly half the size of the $12 coolermasters that are rated up to a 2800+ I was buying at frys. Wasting money on a huge HSF is just that a waste. If you have even sorta decent case cooling and stuff and your not OC'ing it anyway. There are slick CHEAP cpu's and your just flushing your cash away buying a expensive HSF.

$49 for a CPU AND MB of this type is outrageous and spending another $25 to $30 on a HSF is not needed.

I actually have the cpu in question and it is running a hsf I pulled off a old 1000 Athlon because it was running hot and on the Sempron its hitting 34 degrees at idle with some mid-range thermal grease. Not everyone needs to OC and you can get outrageous deals on these CPU's right now. Just slap it together and forget about it. 2/3's the box's I build for customers are guys doing a little MS Office and mostly surfing the web and these babies run fine for that.

rhino I'll get you one of the $49 specials and ship it to you in Canada with it marked as a gift if you want. Frys's has them about three days a week right now. I have one sitting here I can ship ya.

Tex
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2004
    I totally agree with Tex as I have built 3 of those same combos from Fry's. Two of them had Coolermaster X-Dream HS's and one had a stock Barton HS I had laying around. They were all put in crappy cheap little cases due to the request of "as cheap as possible" being the key ingredient of all these systems. I was shocked to see that they all idled around 31C and maxed out @ 41C - 42C running F@H for 6 hrs. I also put one of the $49 combos in another system that used an Antec SLK3700AMB case with a 120mm fan in and a 120mm fan out with a Thermalright ALX-800/Sunon 80x25 39CFM fan that Idled @ 28C and full load @ 38C. Needless to say I was impressed!
  • KINGPINKINGPIN PAKISTAN
    edited September 2004
    sempron is far better than thorough bread, specially if available at same cast