this is NOT good...

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
Look @ the chart I've attached. This is not the kind of trend we need, and there's got to be a reason for it... I just don't know what it is... :scratch:

Maybe we should post a thread in each form as a sticky that links to the f@h forum (the idea being that people that don't visit this specific forum will open the thread and come in here that way...)

Comments

• mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    This is something ive been thinking about ... It looks like we have about 10 days before were passed again ... then again 10 days later...

heres what I propose ... if all our active folders recruit just 1 person each (223 people) even at minimum production (eg 1*50 pointer a WEEK) then we can knock out about another 12000 points a week .. give or take: twice what we need to keep even the closest team at bay

so:

How about we start the great Short-Media folding drive ... try within a week or so to hire just 1 member each .. and or convince current inactive members to start up again ...

Its worth it on SOOOO many levels .. the project gets more results and we keep our standing in the rankings ...

Im gonna go convince my recruit tomorrow ... hope to hear from the rest of you soon :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Good ideas, folks. But mondi - you'd better have your new recruit folding in his own name - you're going to pass me soon enough as it is.:tongue:

I have a niece with a decent computer who should be back Folding soon. Basically her problem is internet access. I have a few other folks whose arms are going to get twisted this week, too.

And I'm an ATX case away from adding another (admittedly mediocre) machine to my own stable.

I see a couple of heavyweight Folders on our team who have dropped off a little. In most cases I suspect that this is due to school being out for the summer. Hopefully by September they can crank it up again. (Hint: If you live in a dorm it shouldn't be too hard to find some fresh recruits).

Keep the good ideas coming!:wave:

Prof
    :fold::fold::fold:
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    actually .....

this probably wont last through the morning .. but its fun to look at none the less ... :)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    i propose everyone buys a slk900 and a 2500+ and whatever necessary to keep it up....i personally just purchased on of these bad boys and i have oced them...and its folding right now....POVER...yes..POVER indeedbut regardless....i already recruited a bunch of pplz....a total of 3...it would have been four... BUT...his xp 1800+ keeps fuxoring up midway through the WU...i dont know whats wrong with it...but regardless..in addition to this...we have a couple of labs folding for us...and their not running now...but in a month or so...u know??
    edited July 2003
    mondi said
    actually .....

this probably wont last through the morning .. but its fun to look at none the less ... :)

You passed me several days ago, too. :eek2:

But I came roaring back!!!

You haven't seen the last of me!:ninja:

Prof
    (Good job, by the way :thumbsup: )

:fold::fold::fold:
    edited July 2003
    Nyah, Nyah.

Told Ya!

Prof:wave:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    This is a problem that hit us around the same time last year. People who have machines folding in college have them shutting down for the summer, labs closing for the summer. It hurts us, but we just have to weather the storm.

I have been adding a few more machine to my folding in work. I currently have 11 folding here (trying to pursuade more people to let me put the client on their machines for me :D)

Our problem is we dont have enough new members, both joining the site and joining the folding team. But hang on in there, all may be about to change. ;) We have one or two things going off soon:thumbsup:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The reason that trend is happening draws from the demise of icrontic and the birth of S-M. All in all, we pulled through very, very well without dropping below 200 active folders and am quite thankful for that but we lost out on about 200 processors and that is a substantial loss to the Team. Other factors stated by Necropolis above have played a role with school's being closed for the summer etc. We just have to keep clawing our way the best we can and good things will happen for us...consistency does pay off. Telling people about the project and our team and the good things we're doing whenever the opportunity arises will go a long way in making new gains.:)

I talked to two seperate people yesterday about folding@home and they were looking at me like I was talking some strange language and couldn't quite understand why I did this without getting paid for it but I'll work on them every chance I get until they give in and participate.:vimp:

We will, one day soon be a threat to those teams above us with whom are feeling comfortable in where they are.:rarr:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    That high and then very low drop is on everyones stats. And so is the lower production after the high-low. Look, I did awhile ago and noticed it of several teams.

But yeah the move hurt us, bad. We have virtually no new members joining the team. I remember in our prime we had an average of 10 a week. Now we get like 1-2 a week.

Sure we are hurt by the labs going down, but we are severly damaged with little to none new production. It used to be 1-6k milestones took up most of the milestones. Then as the number of new members started to drop off it moved to 5-10k milestones. I saw the change happening when I was doing the milestones. Drastic changes.

I cant wait til this site gets hoppin and more and more members join cause thats what we need. We cant recruit the site by ourselves. We need something to draw people here.

New members are the key to the continued sucess to this team.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    A suggestion.... we need our team page up. I keep looking to see if it's up but not yet, just "hello world". I really don't mind browsing the forums (heck, I love that part) but I don't like looking around for the link I need to get a new person started. This thread, that thread, and this one.... I want to be able to go directly to http://www.teamshort-media.com and that's it. As for the milestones... I also liked to see how the team is doing, like on the old team site. It's all about the team approach. We have the SM family and that is important but he Team SM is just as important. IMHO... Think on this you will, hmmm, yes?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The team site appeared in a brief form last nite. It's being worked on and something will be appearing very shortly :)

We were gonna put our best man on the job, but Im busy ;D so General <strike>Nuisance</strike> Keebler is gonna be handling it :D

This team needs promoting damn it. It's time for us to get known.. lets do it :thumbsup:
    edited July 2003
    Here, here....

Be Devote and Promote.... Team Short-Media: Folding 4 a Cure
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I've only got one processor folding for me right now... my secondary PC is obviously down for the count, with the demise of my XP2100+ yesterday... :bawling:
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'll get one of my buddies to hook it up tonight, he's only got a celeron 700, but I'll make sure he does his system and his brothers xp2000.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    QCH, I have restored the team page to what it looked like last night. It's crude, but it is at least something until the new main page is up that will integrate with the team page. Shorty mentioned sprucing it up a bit later.

If you read the content, you'll see where we stand on several issues at present.
    edited July 2003
    Check out the new improved sig that does indeed "Promote" Team SM...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    as of about a week ago, my production went from 0 to having an 1800+ and a 2.8c w/ 2 instances. if someone can give me a way to easily install 2 instances as system services, i can get another 2.8c under my belt too :-) oh, and a 500 at work, just because
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    People are losing interest, simple as that. First it was "wow, folding, I'm saving lives" now people may find it is just dragging out and un-Necessarily overheating their PC's.....

NS
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    NS... unfortunately, I think you're right- people just don't care anymore. As for the heat issue... if people's computers are overheating running F@H, then someone needs to smack them upside da head and point out that if F@H makes their computers overheat, they just don't know how to cool a computer. All of Habitat For Humanity's XP1800+ systems (which I configured myself w/K7S5A boards, Antec SLK-3700AMB cases w/1 thermally controlled 120mm exhaust and the stock 50cfm 120mm intake fan) and Coolermaster HAC-V81 HSFs @ ~3000rpms. The CPU temp with F@H running @ 100% all day is 110*F or less on all the machines... My laptop can run F@H at 100% with just the stock cooler... it'll get too hot to use comfortably, and the air coming out of the side will be burning hot, but it will do it... the difference in idle/load temps on both of my desktops is <10*F... so all I can say is that people that have heat issues when running F@H simply don't know how to cool a computer... :rolleyes:
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited July 2003
    sign me up, where can I start folding?

AIM: emperorcroc
    MSN: emperorcroc@hotmail.com
    Yahoo: emperorcroc56

:)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    folding.stanford.edu

Downloads --> windows graphical client

Download & install; uncheck "run program" box @ end of install, go to start --> Programs --> Startup, right click Folding @ Home, click properties, in the target field, go to the end of the box, put in a space, then type "-advmethods -forceasm" without the quotes. Click OK & exit the properties; go to Programs --> Folding@Home, right click Folding@Home and do the same for that shortcut. Then go ahead and run the program. Team # is 93, username is whatever you want, although I'd recommend Geeky1 ;):D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    fyi, I was talking to him on AIM in less than 3 minutes :)
    edited August 2003
    Ok, got one guy recruited last night. He says to me, "can I load this at work too?"

Booh yeah!
    edited August 2003
    Got another 4 machines in work today :thumbsup: , takes my grand total to 15 in work folding for me :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Part this is my fault, since all my folding machines up and died in the past 7 days. First the dualie MP2000 finally succumbed to neglect (my sister failed to install system updates/virus definitions for 117 days according to VirusScan), and I've had to rebuild it. Then one of the hard drives in my 1.8GHz Pentium 4 rig crashed, and I had to rebuild that rig at the same time as doing the dualie. Total crap.

Anyway, I'm almost done so they should be coming up to speed again in the next three days.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited August 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    Got another 4 machines in work today :thumbsup: , takes my grand total to 15 in work folding for me :D

Damn you! Now I have to start hunting around for even more machines so I can catch you....
    edited August 2003
    DanG said
    Necropolis_uk said

Damn you! Now I have to start hunting around for even more machines so I can catch you....

Please do, I could do with the challenge at the moment (oh and I hope to get another 4 on Monday :D).

Bring it on :thumbsup: