games running in small window on laptop??? help pls

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited March 2009 in Gaming
whenever i run a game on my laptop it runs in a window. not like you can see the desktop in the backround or even the borders of the window though, its completely black around the viewing field, which is about half of the screen. why is it doing this and how can i make it run them fullscreen?

thanks!

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    The reason it's doing this I believe is that the laptop's display has exactly one resolution. Say that's 1024x768. Then an "800x600" desktop resolution could be displayed over the whole screen by interpolating pixel values onto 1024x768 pixels... OR it could be displayed by only using the 800x600 pixels in the center of the screen. I think this is what you're experiencing and the option may be in display settings, the question is does it work for games. What happens when you lower the desktop resolution?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    when i lower the desktop res it makes the computer use less of the screen to display the desktop. and when i run a game after doing this, its the same as before
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2004
    Does it do this for every game?

Dumb question, but you've checked the game settings, right?
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Alt+Enter is the command to go in and out of windowed mode, try hitting that while in game.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    alt + enter just gets me a beep but no resizing. tried ctrl+alt+enter too, not even a beep for that one
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    There may be a setting in the BIOS for this. There is on my Dell.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    any idea what it would be called / what i should change it to?
  • Luv-PepperLuv-Pepper In a country with 100% urbanisation.
    edited October 2004
    So, is it a one game case or does that happen in every game?
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I have the same issue on my lappie (Older Dell, has a P2 in it). Theres a thread around here on it but I've yet to find a solution to it.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    every game ive tried so far
    edited October 2004
    Is there an updated driver for the video chip available?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    no idea, ill hook it up to the internet and check for one

btw someone on another forum mentioned a program he used that made it fit the screen, but he can't remember the name...something like "screen stretcher" he said...anyone know what he's talking about/where i can get it?
    edited October 2004
    Google found a few suggestions, but they all seem specific to certain brands and video components.

What brand and model is the laptop? Also, what type of video is it?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    its a sony vaio PCG-R505TEK and it has 750 mhz mobile p3, 320mb of pc133, 15 gig, 12.1 inch lcd, Intel onboard video

oh and windows 2000
  • Luv-PepperLuv-Pepper In a country with 100% urbanisation.
    edited October 2004
    I heard not all games run well on windows 2000.. maybe u should try xp?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    if i had it :( i have xp for this pc im on right now but its dell version and lets just say ive reinstalled so many times on that goddam dell now i have to call every time i activate it
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    did you try right clicking on the desktop icon and chaning it to run maximized?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    just a shot in the dark

FN + F8
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2004
    also
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited October 2004
    i got it figured out...i emailed sony and they told me to try fn + f and it works!

thanks for all of the suggestions
  • edited March 2009
    hiiiiiiiiii... same happens to me too.. but mine is a dell xps, i tried all the above things: alt+enter, fn + f, fn+ f8.. but they dont work..... pls help.. maybe i guess coz fn button in vaio is different from fn in dell .. plss helpp.. my gaming sucks