The Dreadful Scrolling!!

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Hardware
everytime I view anything with a scroll bar my comp instantly takes it to the bottom and it's a good 5 min fight to get it back to the top...which it'll stay there for maybe a min or 2 then go back to the bottom on the page and stay there...I need help desperately....

Comments

• edited October 2004
    What kind of pc do you have?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Check your page down key isnt jammed down.
  • edited October 2004
    If this is any type of laptop that has a touch pad combined with a scroll point mouse it could be the mouse driver. Synaptics touch pads in the earlier Dells were notorious with this problem.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I have a p4 w/ windows XP...it's not my keyboard cause I swiched to a different one and it still did the same thing.....
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Graphics drivers? It can be damn slow to scroll in Windows with poo drivers.
    Just thinking of how slow it is to scroll when you change your time zone or country when you install Windows.

~Cyrix
    edited October 2004
    it's not that it's slow scrolling...it's that it gets stuck at the bottom and wont move....
    edited October 2004
    any suggestions as to what I should do??? It's slowly getting worse :bawling:
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited October 2004
    Is your mouse a scrolling mouse?

Try a different mouse, as that could be it.
    edited October 2004
    nope...just your basic normal mouse...absolutely nothing fancy about it...cept it's a laser one, no scroll....
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited October 2004
    maybe it's your ps2 plug thats somehow getting jacked. try a usb one if you have access. or look for software for your mouse like logitech has mouseware or whatever they call it. has it been doing this for a while or just all of a sudden started to get jacked up?
    edited October 2004
    I first noticed it maybe a week ago...first it was pretty rare..maybe once a day, then it got slowly worse...till now, where it's a fight to read anything with a scroll bar
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I would look on underside of mouse, find out model and brand, try to get newer drivers (and if you cannot find newer drivers, post the model and brand of mouse off sticker on bottom of mouse if it has a sticker on underside of mouse that you can read). One other thing about laser or LED optical mice, if they sense a REAL smooth surface like glass or metal, they can get "stuck." I had amouse pad do this to me, one with a picture of the earth taken from the moon. AND, that pad had a dead spot, it was totally textured except for one area that was not textured right and that place the picture was also pure black. Laser and optical mice also hate pure black pads for some reason, not enough texture or color changes for mouse to sense movement with those. Try mid to royal blue, RED, or Gray mouse pad instead, it might track better. Also, look in your browser, see what the about button in the help menu gives you as far as information about browser and version, and post this and what version of Windows you have, OK??? Some versions of IE, mostly older ones, do not like laser\LED optical mice.

AND, with the computer off so the mouse laser is not on , look for junk stuck to underside of mouse, especcially over the Laser\LED emitter and the receiver\sensor. Optical rodents do not like the human "four-eyes" equivalent of VERY dirty and dried-sweat covered lenses, or small dust or cookie or cracker crumbs on emitter or the lense over the sensor either Littel bit of rubbing alcohol on a cloth or an eye glass cleaning wipe will clean off that junk, sometimes a dampened q-tip (dampened with rubbing alcohol) helps if mouse has inset laser lense or sensor. They will stay randomly stuck, and different drivers can move mouse cursor to different places in different programs when the driver senses no movement for a long time (this can be drivers and mouse combined, plus flaky things caused by what programs understand when deprived of a mouse).

Just a few weird things that can combine to make this kind of mess, but corrupt mouse drivers can do this kind of thing big-time also (and viruses can corrupt mouse software and\or drivers, and have). Suggest a security scan (for virals and malware) of computer also, for that reason, especially if new drivers fix but problem recurrs within a month.
    edited October 2004
    I have a keio mouse...and I have no idea where the heck to get drivers for it...as for the mouse pad thing...I dont use a mouse pad..I use my finished desk...

as for my version of IE, it's Version - 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited October 2004
    Try booting without your keyboard, then again without your mouse and see if its still happening.

~dodo
    edited October 2004
    alright well I did that and it did absolutely nothing
    edited October 2004
    ahhh!!! it haunts me still!! I need help...desperately....it's like someone's holding down the end key....but it's beyond me cause I changed my keyboard and it still did it :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
    edited October 2004
    does anyone have any idea what might be causing this??? I dont really have the $$$ to take my comp in and get it fixed profestionally...so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Well if you've eliminated hardware as the problem, perhaps it's a software problem. Have you checked your computer for spyware, or viruses?
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Format & reinstall??

~Cyrix
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited October 2004
    Try a different web browser. Most of us here like Firefox.
    edited October 2004
    I think he said it happens in anything that has a scrollbar, though. Not just IE.
    edited October 2004
    I've checked my comp with norton 2005, and Ad-aware SE Personal...both showed up clean....

I cant really afford to format my hard drive....*points to all his mixing software and the nearly 7k songs....* :bawling:
    edited October 2004
    if this helps, it seems to be REALLY bad when I first use my comp....like now, first time i've used it today and the scroll bar was literally stuck at the bottom of everypage (windows media player, MSN, ICQ and IE) for a good 10 minutes....
    edited November 2004
    TTT

it's still doing it and it's REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!! :shakehead :shakehead

:screwed:
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited November 2004
    I have a hunch that may help you narrow your problem down...

Go into your device manager, and disabling different input devices. I.E., mouse, keyboard, and the various other controllers that may be linked to those peices of hardware.
    This, at the very least may help you narrow down your problem. The reason I say this, is because it may not be your keyboard, OR mouse. It could be the connections themselves. If noise were present in those lines, or if there's a short of some kind, it's possible that even without the hardware attached, the problem would still persist.

Let me know if that helps.
    edited November 2004
    The problem happens in the BIOS, before any device drivers are loaded.

MrTRiot:

Your motherboard is bad. You need to replace it.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited November 2004
    oooh...I missed that part.
  • edited November 2004
    Hello!
    Help - I was so happy (probably not the right word, but still) to find that someone else is having exactly the same problem as me! I have a dell inspiron 1150 - it is doing the same as you have described. scroll bar stuck at bottom of screen, battle to do anything, getting worse over time. I also have a laser mouse - did you ever find out whether it was a prob with the drivers? Any suggestions??
    edited November 2006
    The final problem with my computer was that the heat sync got blown, and that's why it got stuck....my motherboard litterally "melted" about a week after my last post here....and I tell ya, it's the WORST smell you'll EVER come across...It smelled like someone died and was slowly being roasted on my motherboard :-(

All in all, it cost me about 500$ to get a new comp...the one I'm using now...every last piece of hardware was beyond recognition..

[Ya I know it's an old topic, but I like to give closure to problems...even if they're 23 months late :)]
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Hey, thanks for the "closure." Did properly bury the corpse that roasted over your motherboard? That's a grizzly, but funny analogy.