yet another "help me find a laptop" thread

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited October 2004 in Hardware
alright, so I'm currently in the market for a laptop. portability is a must have. as such I expect long battery life (Dothan please :D) and 6 lbs is my max weight. I'm looking to spend under $1500. now for approximately $1400 on the IBM Employee Purchase Plan I can get this puppy. I know geeky will pop in with a sager, I figured someone would probably show me a dell. I'd love to have a better graphics solution, but a 9600m with an sxga+ (1400x1050 max res) display on an IBM is topnotch, so suggestions welcome. also a dvd-r would be nice, but I'm not gonna push it.

fire away!

also I'm looking for as little ram as possible included, I plan on buying it seperately (I'm positive I can get a better buy). if possible, no OS is preferable, but as is the case with the IBM, if thats not an option no biggy

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Go IBM, you won't regret it.

They're rock solid and built to last. Not to mention their warranty is top of the line. Resale is also probably one of the highest around for laptops. I'm on my T40 right now and love it :thumbsup:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    Yeah, I'm gonna point out www.powernotebooks.com again. Check them out... and I doubt you'll be able to get RAM cheaper than what they charge for their upgrades.

What exactly do you want from this thing? You going to be doing any gaming on it?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm gonna point out www.powernotebooks.com again. Check them out... and I doubt you'll be able to get RAM cheaper than what they charge for their upgrades.

What exactly do you want from this thing? You going to be doing any gaming on it?

well I dont know about for powernotebooks, but using the IBM as an example it it costs about as much for me to get a 1gb stick of corsair value select as it would cost me to get a 256mb stick direct from IBM.

gaming? maybe a little, thats why I picked the IBM with the best (other than the FireGL) graphics solution they offer. however, I'm not going to be playing FPS or trying to lan with this thing. bottom line, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement, I want mobility.

Primarily, my reasons for buying it are Matlab, Codewarrior and being an intermediate file-sharer between the on-campus university hub and my off-campus media server. since I'm never at home, I'd really like to be get my damn homework done without having to go to a lab. on top of that, sometimes there are things you can download MUCH MUCH faster on campus than off. for example, new gentoo builds, etc. the UT wireless network is topnotch.

(oh yeah, built in wireless is a necessity. i'd prefer A/B/G or G-turbo, but the Intel 2200BG that seems to be the standard is good enough for me)