Laptop randomly shuts down while playing games

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi,
I am in a desparate quandry, my Laptop randomly shuts down, but only while I'm playing a game. It doesn't happen if I'm surfing the net, or using word etc. It can happen after 10 mins, 1 hour 5 hours or not at all some days.
If anyone can suggest something I would be most grateful.
Regards
Andy

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's heat related.

What laptop do you have?
  • edited October 2004
    it's a cybercom P4 2.4 ghz 480mb ram
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    If it only shuts off during game play, then it's almost definitely heat related. YOu should take the thing apart and clean the dust out and reapply new thermal paste to the heatsink. Read MCWC's guide. :)

//edit: Sorry, it was MCWC's guide, not geeky1's :D:D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    that was MCWC's guide, prime ;)

What model of Cybercom is it?
  • edited August 2006
    i have the same problem and i have the best toshiba laptop there is right now. the reason it randomy shuts off is overheating. this occasianaly occurs when you use about 70% of your hard drive space.
    this happend to me 3 times already, and i restored my computer twice. and it happens when i use most of my hard drive. here is some answers to your problem…
    1.lower graphics settings on your game.
    2.if you have nvidia, disable its properties.
    3.unload windowsblinds,yahoo,and other background tasks that are pointless and take up your cpu.
    4.this problem never happens when i run games in windowed mode.
    5.do not play your laptop on carpet,bed,or andy cloth, only solid objects such as wood.
    HERE IS THE MAIN SOURCE OF THIS PROBLEM-
    unplug all your usb such as another keyboard,controller,or anything except charger and mouse.(this worked for me)

there is nothing you can do about this problem. toshiba is too good to be true.
    my advise if none of this works is buying a external hard drive and install all your games and put all your files on it and keep your hard drive at high conpacity.

DEAL WITH IT.
  • edited August 2006
    Cleaning The Laptop Will Not Help...i Tried It 4 Times