Keith "Mortin" Whitsitt

Comments

• edited October 2004
    Hi,

I'm Thomas from DV Hardware.

I didn't knew him personally, except maybe from a few news e-mails.

My condolences to Keith's family and friends.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Idunno how to get in touch with Oppainter or Dtung or Mr_Icee...maybe some of you might have an idea.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    i just can't believe this is really happening. i can't get over this.
    edited October 2004
    lol do you guys remember when he had that avatar, the one with the asian couple caught having sex in their car, the guy had this look of total shock and surprise on his face. he was a funny guy, great sense of humor. i just can't believe he's gone like this, it's a tragedy, i can't believe this.
    edited October 2004
    I remember ...I actually thought it was a pic of him for a while. duh!
    I was just thinking about how everyone made fun of xsilentdx and his avatard ...poor fellah.

remember preppy hot stunchez?
    edited October 2004
    i know my site never amounted to anything, but mortin was the guy that inspired me to try it. i thought if a 17 yr. old kid can do this, i can to. i was wrong, it's much harder than it looks. i'm just in shock over this news, this is terrible. we should have some sort of online memorial of sorts, and i definitely think you guys should name a rig or an award after him. i know i keep saying it, but this really sucks.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    My coldolonces go out to his friends and family. :(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Idunno how to get in touch with Oppainter or Dtung or Mr_Icee...maybe some of you might have an idea.
    I'm working on that, and getting in touch with several other former members. Consider it handled.
  • LarsLars Southfield, MI
    edited October 2004
    Hi everyone.

My name is Pastor Tim Larson. Keith Whitsitt's mother belongs to my church in Southfield, Michigan and has asked me to lead a modest memorial service for him in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Saturday. I didn't know Keith at all, but his mother is much loved and respected in our congregation and I would like to do his memory justice for his family’s sake.

Are there any stories about Keith you can think of that I might share at the memorial service that capture his true spirit? I would appreciate any input you all would like to offer. I've registered with the forum -- so I believe you can email me privately if you wish.

It is obvious Keith was an unusually gifted and influential person. I’m amazed by the outpouring of sympathy by you all. I will make sure that his mother is aware of your comments.

God bless.
  • LarsLars Southfield, MI
    edited October 2004
    PS -- I probably won't mention his avatar though... ;)
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited October 2004
    csimon wrote:
    I remember ...I actually thought it was a pic of him for a while. duh!
    I thought exactly the same thing lol!

I'm deeply shocked by this news, I probably only spoke to Keith once back in the old Icrontic days and I honestly never knew what quite to make of him. He had his flaws just like we all do, but I respected him, I remember that much. I am extremely saddened when anyone dies especially one of our own. At the very least all of us posting here together now is a testament to what he has given us all.

Thanks Mort'. Rest in peace.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    i thought if a 17 yr. old kid can do this, i can to
    Try 14 year-old, that is, when he successfully launched Apushardware.
    edited October 2004
    I'm working on that, and getting in touch with several other former members. Consider it handled.
    Thanks Keebs ...you might want to try xsilentdx too ...I saw a post in another forum from him but it was way back in 2003. That one may be difficult though.

again thanks.
  • Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited October 2004

They still hang on xtemesystems.org. catch them over there...

anyway, tho i have never actually spoken w/ mortin, we had some email exchanges when i was working w/ Ocaddiction, and i was a religous visitor to icrontic back in the day...he was def a unique individual, and will be greatly missed in our community. my condolences go out to his family, and all that knew and cared for him.

RIP...
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2004
    xtremesystems.org knows. I emailed them this morning.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Yea I am still kinda in shock. Icrontic was the reason I got addicted to the net! Unfortunately Just like over at Icrontic You guys have had to ban people with very poor taste in this thread, I am sure that this community as well as Icrontic will pull together and help with all be it a small but heart filled Finacial support for Mortins Fam. If there is onething Mortin did was bring a bunch of guys with Class together. And for that I am thankfull. The New Icrontic and Short-Media are both really creations of Mortins influence. May God be with him and anyone who is greaving Including all of us who knew him in Digi land
    edited October 2004
    I just finally got my account at xtremesystems activated and contacted MrIcee, DDTung, and Oppainter via private message.

I found an xsilentdx in only 2 or 3 locations on the internet, all from 2001. One location had an active e-mail contact option available, so I used it in the chance it is the same member.

Raffi is assisting me in contacting some members who got accounts on IC right after the crash but have been inactive since, including mrFU, dna3d, and Darksword. Hopefully I will be e-mailing them tonight.

If there are others who you can think of but don't have time to track down, you can post their handles here or PM them to me and I will try and track them down.
    edited October 2004
    here xsilentdx posted in may 2003 http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=10240787 ...I'm sure you can get an email thru if you register but Idunno it the account is still active. Knowing him it prolly is.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    I really am not sure what to say, this comes as such a shock. I had my disagreements with him over the years (I guess it was 5 years maybe that I got involved in Icrontic because of him) but I always had a respect for him. All I am really able to think about now is the countless times I would see him logged into ICQ and wonder how he was doing but never sent him a message.

My condolences to his family and friends.
  • edited October 2004
    I just wanted to say we are saddened by the untimely loss of Mortin. Many of us at xtremesystems.org are former Icrontic members who broke off and started a new site.

I started a thread on XS for Mortin and I hope some members come through to help Mortins family in this time of need.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44369

I will be making a dontation in the name of XS.

From all of us at XS, god bless and our hearts go out to the family.
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    It's been really nice to see some old faces stopping by. For me personally, it helps greatly.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    WEll over at IC we are brining back Spudz for a comeback tour! He was Mortins creation and IC's mascott On the front page change the theme to OLDSHOOL we are alos going to redo the whole site Hopefully we might get it back to the way Keith had it before the crash they ways it should be in memory of him
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited October 2004
    TBonZ wrote:
    It's been really nice to see some old faces stopping by. For me personally, it helps greatly.

Yes. Looking at all those old links brought back some memories. Lots of names there I remember, some I'm still in touch with, others not.

This has got me to thinking, really, here in cyberland, despite all our differences of opinion and sometimes squabbles, it occured to me that any member of an online community will be missed if they pass away, so I thought maybe I should reapraise my attitude towards some people.

We're all characters, after all, for good or for bad.

Keith is the third death I've suffered from Forums, Bart Williams and a guy named Tuffie being the other two. Real life.

Icrontic helped me build my first RAID system, with an Abit KT7-R. I've never forgotten that. I got my help, but decided to stick around around because I liked the characters. I never even knew what a Forum was before Icrontic. I joined just after it changed from Apu's.

Some of us fell out with Icrontic, and started BBF. I'm still there at BBF, but Icrontic has gone and I really quite like Short Media, that outlook has been considerably influenced by Shorty.

Ah, but I'm getting off subject here.

I did 'speak' to Keith a few times on chat, the most memorable time was when his house was raided by the Feds (was it the Feds? excuse me, I UK, not sure, but some kind of law enforcement, anyway) after he hacked his ISP, they took all his computers away.

There were 3 of us talking, me, Keith and The Heretic. Keith was pretty bummed about things and couldn't see how he'd pissed off the authorities. At that time, I liked him a lot, the kid had balls and an anarchistic streak which I admired.

Sad to say, we kinda fell out and at the time I left Icrontic, I really didn't hold him in too high an esteem. But I remember him, oh yes, I remember him well.

He did have charisma and for one so young, a rare talent.

PLease, please, don't judge my comments as hypocritical, they're from the heart. After all, I kinda followed the flow, the migration, when I left, sometimes, we're all big kids, truth be told.

Anyway, I've waffled on too long, let me just say that I'm really quite depressed about this thing, all that can be said has been said here in this thread, I think, about condolences to his family, that's a given from me.

And that video was good, I'd never seen that before.
    edited October 2004
    Thanks very much for all that, Fugger. Pure class.

//edit: Very true, floppy. We all may end up in different places but there's still something holding us together in the end.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Floppybootstomp, these things are what inspire threads like these. While some people think that the internet is just a faceless thing and these names are just words on the screen, the more time you spend and the more people you meet, the more you realize that we are a family, truly. These are real people.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited October 2004
    Floppybootstomp, these things are what inspire threads like these. While some people think that the internet is just a faceless thing and these names are just words on the screen, the more time you spend and the more people you meet, the more you realize that we are a family, truly. These are real people.
    To family! ... To Keith!! :cheers:
  • edited October 2004
    My Condolences to Keiths family and friends. I’m very sorry to hear this news.

OPP
  • DuboidsDuboids Akron, Pa
    edited October 2004
    First off very sorry to hear that Keith will not be around much longer, he will truly be missed and was a great guy the little I knew of him. :(:(:(

I started folding for Team 93 back in 2002 and moved for another team and now my current team 32322. I did reviews for a couple different web sites and currently work for FLHW and we as part of the tech community would like to say we are truly saddened from the loss of Keith from our little part of the world....... :( :bawling: R.I.P. Bro
    edited October 2004
    My Condolences to Keiths family and friends. I’m very sorry to hear this news.

OPP
    Thanks for stopping by OPP ...hope you feel welcome to visit from time to time! :thumbsup:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Lars wrote:
    Hi everyone.

My name is Pastor Tim Larson. Keith Whitsitt's mother belongs to my church in Southfield, Michigan and has asked me to lead a modest memorial service for him in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Saturday. I didn't know Keith at all, but his mother is much loved and respected in our congregation and I would like to do his memory justice for his family’s sake.

Are there any stories about Keith you can think of that I might share at the memorial service that capture his true spirit? I would appreciate any input you all would like to offer. I've registered with the forum -- so I believe you can email me privately if you wish.

It is obvious Keith was an unusually gifted and influential person. I’m amazed by the outpouring of sympathy by you all. I will make sure that his mother is aware of your comments.

God bless.

Hi Lars and welcome to Short-Media, I regret though under these circumstances. Do please relate our condolences to Keith's Mother as well as the rest of the Family if possible. All our thoughts & prayers are definitely with them at this time.

As for stories, I really don't have any. All I can really relate is my experiences in dealing with Keith, through my context at being with Icrontic. Out of respect because you probably will be unaware of some things I speak of, I added the explanations in brackets.

I always respected him right from day 1 and that respect never faltered. He was always supportive of me personally when we pulled the "Icrontic Folding Team" together (A Humanitarian initiative to decipher disease through the donated use of personal computers by everyday people, running a small software program, distributed and maintained at Stanford University by Dr.Vijay Pande officially named Folding@Home) and took it to the next level. Keith gave us the community and resources to pull together and participate in a truly ambitious project. He was always very generous in donating his time & energy in anything the "Team effort" needed to do. He donated multiple times, cash and computer hardware components to the ICx and even what is now the SMx project (An undertaking by folding team members of then, Icrontic and what is now Short-Media, donating money and components to build whole computers which are then awarded to a member of the team, intended solely to participate in Folding@Home). Strip down the layers; it was him and his ambition that brought all the people that are here today together, WOW.

Bottom line is this; Keith was a very ambitious guy, very talented with so much potential. His generosity was great. We can only give so much but still a teenager, he gave so much and I will never forget him.

A quote I pulled up from Keith this year, "i'll be folding team 93 forever !". He fullfilled that goal.