New system is almost ready!

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited October 2004 in Hardware
Figured that I would join in on the fun here @ SM. Too bad it took such a tragic event to reunite me with some many familiar faces.

- Lian-Li Silver ATX Mid Tower Case, Model "PC-V1000"
- AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor
- ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU
- OCZ PowerStream 420W Power Supply With Adjustable Power Rails With LED Indicators, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ420ADJ"
- PowerColor ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP
- Vantec "ThermoFlow" Double Ball Bearing Case fan with Temp Sensor
- Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Model "XP-90"
- NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive
- Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-1213S
- Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD
- OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kits 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2004
    you're gonna be drawing a lot of power from that 420w
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    The 420 will handle it just fine. Not worried about too much power drain, won't be overclocking this system for a while.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Let me know about your experiences with that abit board. I've built two a64 systems so far; one with an asus board and the other MSI. I like the MSI better so far.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    TheBaron; the 420w will be more than enough. People think computers draw a lot more power than they actually do. The problem is that a lot of cheap PSes can't put out their rated power. The OCZ will be just fine... I've run a 2.7GHz 2600m, a 6800GT, 1GB of DDR, 2 7200rpm HDDs and 2 optical drives on a 350w Antec modded with Vantec Stealths (which push less air than the stock fans do, and therefore the PS runs hotter, reducing output capacity) so...

Pigflipper, I'm going to suggest re-considering your case fans; I'd get two of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=11-999-122&depa=1

Best 120mm fans on the market.
    edited October 2004
    That fan listed is not for the case, but rather the heatsink. I'm probably going to leave the stock case fans in, unless the temps are higher than I would like them to be. Also going to be transfering my rheobus from this system for fan control.
    edited October 2004
    That fan won't work on your heatsink. The fan's thermistor is in the fan frame, so it won't work well for a CPU heatsink.
    edited October 2004
    hmm, thanks for pointing that out. I still have a couple of Sunon 80mm 50cfm fans I could drop on there for the time being.
    edited October 2004
    //EDIT
    Forgot, the XP-90 will only take 92mm fans; pick up one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=11-999-121&depa=0

...or you could just get an XP-120