Important maintenance time - Please read

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Community
At 9.30am GMT tomorrow (Saturday 08.08.2003)

I will be temporarily closing the forums to apply a really important MySQL fix.

For all members who are interested ;) ... Vbulletin stores attachments in the database. As time progresses, the db gets a hell of alot bigger (damn that babe thread is worth it though ;D)... so...

Rather than take the route of removing old attachments and causing the attachment anamoly of the wrong attachments in old threads, I've been heavily testing a code change that removes the attachments and places them in a secured folder :)

No current attachments will be lost during this update. The database will be backed up before the update is applied.

This update is necessary as we don't want to lose the speed of the forums and have to remove old attachments.

The estimated total time the forums will be closed is 30 minutes (depending on how long it takes the server to remove and catalogue the attachments). The forums will then have a test and stability run to make sure all is working. Then we will be back ;)

It's been a rough ride but we are finally out of the woods. A few teething problems but we just keep getting stronger :D

Thanks to everyone for sticking with us and helping make Short-Media the site for everyone :):thumbsup:

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Any chance of you putting all the .jpgs from The Babe Thread into a .zip and making it available for d/l somewhere? Pleeease? :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The files when removed are stored in a secure format to prevent any malicious data being attached ;)

I have a function in the works.. that will do as you wanted. but it's not an immediate work ;) so you will just have to keep reading :cool:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    As always, Shorty... thanks!
    edited August 2003
    Excellent! Thanks!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Shorty said
    You chose a good time - most of this crowd will still be sleeping it off around then. ;D
    Thanks to everyone for sticking with us and helping make Short-Media the site for everyone :):thumbsup:
    Thank you, and the rest of the leadership, for making this a great place to be!
    Getting better all the time. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    I figured it was a good plan to do it when 80% of the readership was ZzZzZ-ing ;)

As a one-off.. I shall run the script to export to real files and zip em up ... only adds 10 minutes to the update process.

Every precaution will be run BEFORE anything gets touched or recoded :thumbsup:
    edited August 2003
    SLEEPING IT OFF? @ 1:30A.M.? Are you crazy? I'm just getting started! :D

I'll survive tho... and it must be done sometime...
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    If you're just getting started then I guess it's not a sin to go to Icrontic this ONE time :D or you could check out keyboardjockey. I gotta say I've really enjoyed reading some of the flames being tossed around ;)

You should check out some of what Shorty had to say. Wowza! He gets rough! :)
    Geeky1 said
    SLEEPING IT OFF? @ 1:30A.M.? Are you crazy? I'm just getting started! :D

I'll survive tho... and it must be done sometime...
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    Shorty said

It's the 9th Saturday right? not the 8th? :D

Thanks for letting us know though Shorty, I'll use the down time to do some washing or something. ;)

Keep up the top M.A.A.O.T.F.F.Y.H.B!
    edited August 2003
    Spinner said
    Shorty said

It's the 9th Saturday right? not the 8th? :D

Thanks for letting us know though Shorty, I'll use the down time to do some washing or something. ;)

Keep up the top M.A.A.O.T.F.F.Y.H.B!
    I was wondering about the date. I figured it was just one of those metric conversion things... :tongue:

What is M.A.A.O.T.F.F.Y.H.B!? :confused:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Yeah, go for it!!! Even if it takes 2 hours!!!!

Cool beans, that is the best move I know of for this site and its rapid growth. Best move if cost were no object or not amajor one would cost WAY too much-- servers interhooked on a fiber pipe with three on pipe, one backup, one DB and one feed server. Folks like CNET and Techrepublic and Extremetech do things like that and throw in a full dev server also.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    profdlp said
    What is M.A.A.O.T.F.F.Y.H.B!? :confused:

Maintenance and Administration of these fine forums you honourably built. ;)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2003
    Geeky1 said

Any chance of you putting all the .jpgs from The Babe Thread into a .zip and making it available for d/l somewhere? Pleeease? :D

You mean you haven't done that already, Geeky? :confused:;)

Thanx for the update, Shorty!

LIN
    edited August 2003
    LIN said
    Geeky1 said

You mean you haven't done that already, Geeky? :confused:;)

Thanx for the update, Shorty!

LIN
    That's a smokescreen. I have it on good authority that he has downloaded them all and is running them as his "My Pictures" screensaver. He'd post here a lot more, except he can't bring himself to move his mouse or touch his keyboard...;D

*Hey, that's not a bad idea...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2003
    Quote from Shorty-
    28 and feeling it today.

That explains it then.

bothered.:O
    edited August 2003
    Let me see now...

Coffee made, news posted on front page, forum files downloaded, SQL databases backed up.

Yep... Im good :)

Seeya in 30 or so minutes peeps ;)
    edited August 2003
    Update complete.

No issues, no funny bizness. All working a-ok.

Thanks for your patience and everything seems ALOT happier again.

Statistics wise.. the forums db was @ 290mb and is now @ 23mb ... nice drop :cool:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    Should be a lot faster too.
    edited August 2003
    w00t! w00t! w00t! :thumbsup::respect:
    >Shorty
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    WHOA thats a huge drop!!!
  • edited August 2003
    So what did this update do? Some code optimizations?
    edited August 2003
    TheSmJ said
    So what did this update do? Some code optimizations?

Reduced the database from 200+mb down to 20+mb

Attachments were originally stored in the database. I applied a code change and some tweaks that store them in a secure directory :) current and future.

This takes the strain off the SQL and keeps the site running fast.