Mortin folds on - New SMx Rig

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2004 in Folding@Home
Today, the main pieces of Mortin's computer were donated to the SMx Project by his mother.
I visited Shirley Whitsitt today to help her sort some of Keith's computer stuff. [...] What's left is an Abit KD7-RAID, 512mb of RAM, an Athlon XP 1600+ in a Lian LI brushed aluminum case with a florida gators sticker, and some other "mortin-y" stickers on the front.

She is giving it to the SMx project to be used as the next SMx rig. As you can well understand, this is going to be a very special SMx rig. [...]

This is Mortin's computer, folks. It's a very strange feeling for me to have this, but I'm honored that Shirley trusted me with this and we should all be honored that this will fold on.

We are currently reassigning two other SMx rigs, and more are on the way. With this in mind, and realizing the gravity of the situation, the SMx Committee (minus one) decided to deviate from the usual rules of the project and present this rig by appointment.

Terry "TBonZ" Buker has given outstanding leadership and guidance to team 93 since its inception. His dedication to the team has been a model for all others to follow. The force of his personality alone has inspired some to keep folding with our team despite the rocky road we travelled at times. His is always a voice of reason, helpfulness, and friendship. For these reasons and more, the rest of the committee has chosen him to be the host of SM23, to be named after Keith. I hope you'll all join me in congratulating and thanking him.

Cheers, Terry :)

Comments

• Cygnus_x_1Cygnus_x_1 New Jersey
    edited November 2004
    wow...while i am def new to the s-m family, i totally understand the what this means. Excellent job TBonZ, and congrats...

FOLD ON KEITH!!!
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    :bawling:
    That truly did bring a tear to my eye.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    Mortin may no longer be with us in person, but his computer will continue to Fold as it did before. I know it has found a good home.

To Keith's (Mortin's) mom: Thank you so much for this extremely generous act. I am sure your son is smiling down on us and is very happy with the decision you made. Many of our team members participate in this great project as a tribute to loved ones who are no longer physically with us. Their spirit, however, is very much a driving force behind our team.

The great idea that Keith began when he founded the website that ultimately led to the creation of this site (and many others) continues to bear fruit. His computer will continue to make a positive difference in the world, as well.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Shirley: If you are reading this, your son's memory will live on forever with us. He will not be forgotten. We owe so much because of what he has done for the community this is the lease we could do him you and his memory.

Terry: Congradulations. You have set the Standard high and have always been the model as a Team Leader You truely deserve this.:)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Very touching, and there is no one more deserving of this sacred piece of the folding project. :fold:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Wow, I really have been floored since Matt called me tonight. First of all, I'm truly touched to have the honour of hosting such an important and symbolic piece of IC/S-M history. Keith did give it all to us and brought us all together, and I'm very happy to carry on folding his box in his name. :)

Definitely a special thanks to Keith's Mom, Shirley, for her generosity. I will take great care with your son's computer and make sure it folds in his memory. Thank you. :)

I really am speechless right now, thank you all, I'm so very honoured. :bawling:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    WOW.... This is a small glint of sunshine after the storm of the past week or so. As Mortin's organs allow his death to allow someone else to live, his PC will help solve the mysteries of disease.

Take good care of SM23.... She's more than just another SMx Rig.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Terry, I've never had such satisfaction in the decision process of awarding and SMX/ICX machine as I did this evening with the machine the Team has now entrusted to you! Take care of it, Sir.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I don't think it could go to one more deserving :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    what will it be named?
    why not just continue Mortin's original output?

congrats tbonz ...right man for the job I think! :thumbsup:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2004
    Congrats TBonZ,

Itcouldn't have gone to a better home.

Regards

Jim
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    :clap::fold: :canflag: :respect::respect::respect::rockon: I think about says it all. WTG T.
    edited November 2004
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I am very excited in having the opportunity to host Mortin's rig. :)

Chris - Since I'm outta the loop in any decisions made on this rig, I have to defer to someone else who is.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited November 2004
    I agree, couldn't have chosen a better choice.

Welcome to the team.

"g"
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    Sally and I would like to take this opportunity to pass on our condolences to Shirley Whitsitt.

Though we have only been members of Short-Media for around 9 months, the strenght and character displayed in this site is to be commended.
    Reading about the history makes me believe Keith was most definitely a strong foundation stone of which this site was based on, continuing where the demise of Icrontic of old, left off.

We are very fortunate to have found this site at a time of need and are very proud to be associated with it. It's a pleasure and an honour to be part of Team #93, folding for the cause.

Sincere congrats to Terry, being the caretaker of Keith's rig. It could not have gone to a nicer bloke. We're sure you will do the Team proud. :thumbsup:

Keep F:fold:LDING ON Keith. :smokin:

Jon & Sally
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2004
    Congrats Terry, I know you will take very good care of it. Mortin has done so much for so many people, it is great to see his computer folding in his name. :thumbsup:
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited November 2004
    This is good.

*choked and kinda tearful*
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    I think Shirley is folding under Keith's name. Anyone else that would want to fold under his name as well is surely welcome to.

Bart Williams' FAH username was once the 9th top overall producer and got up to 15k in no time after his passing. A lot of people folded under his name and the same could happen for Keith.

The box will become SM23 and have Keith/Mortin or something in its name to distinguish it from all the other SMx machines much like IC13.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Terry, congrats. I know Mortin's rig has a good home with you.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Well done guys. Congrats on getting SM23 Tbonz. I'm sure Mortins smiling upon the SM crew and others involved for all the great things being said and done in his name. And thanks to his mom for donating the parts to start it up. It restores some of my faith in people, seeing this take place. Of course it couldn't have happened without all of you great people here. Thank you for warming my heart.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    A pic of the case for the new SMx machine.....
  • PeaceDawgPeaceDawg Perth
    edited November 2004
    Congratulations Terry :cool:
    edited November 2004
    Hey Dawg, long time no talk man. :)

Thanks to everyone. :)

Wow Prime, you' weren't kidding about the damage through shipping, they really suck. :mad: I'll do what I can to make SM23 beautiful again. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, the damage was extensive. The top is bent on both corners, along with a nice dent on the top, and the drive cage is slightly bent. It does, however, fold nicely :)
    edited November 2004
    It does, however, fold nicely :)

That's the main thing. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Congrats, Terry. Fold on.