Radeon 9800 Pro AIW graphic corupting

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited December 2004
    1. Make sure that the power cord is connected to the card.

2. Make sure you are not over heating the card.

3. if your overclocking the proc or card, dont

4. make sure the agp slot is locked at the default speed in the bios.

5. try uping the agp voltage slightly in the bios.
  • edited December 2004
    its set at v1.5 (AGP voltage) only other setting is v1.7 is that safe to set v1.7?!? no chance of messing up my card it its not, ta for the advice btw
  • edited December 2004
    Gobbles, the only ones that apply to me are the over heating and the voltage but how would i know if the card is overheating? I have tried programs like ATItool for temp, but when my system crashes it gives a temp of something like 50 C. :confused:
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    your card is dead/dying and ATI is giving you the run around. pop in another card and it will work just fine. all this crap they're giving you about IRQs and ACPI is just them passing the hot potato, hoping you'll just go away or buy something else. The proof is that the card worked fine until now with the same IRQs and ACPI or whatnot. If you don't have a spare vid card, ask your friends, someone's bound to have an old TNT2 or Geforce 2 laying around, or just go buy one, you can get one for like $20 these days, they're always good to have around in cases like these.

Bottom line is your card is dead and ATI is givig you the run around. Stop wasting your time on this, get the guy you bought it from to excahnge it for you. If he won't, I'll see you on Judge Judy!
  • edited December 2004
    already had a replacement same problems,

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=57554&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

I'm thinking it could be a VIA and Radeon Pro Issuses as in the above post.

Enk1du what mother board do you have a VIA one?
    edited December 2004
    you said the replacement was the same card. did you try a totally different card? if you're getting the same problem with different cards, then it might be your motherboard.
  • edited December 2004
    ScotCop wrote:
    already had a replacement same problems,

http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=57554&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

I'm thinking it could be a VIA and Radeon Pro Issuses as in the above post.

Enk1du what mother board do you have a VIA one?

yeah thanks :s i think read my last post. didnt say it was the same card i said i had the same problems.
  • edited December 2004
    about the trying another card, my friend has an extra ATI agp card though im not sure what model that I think ill try to get and try. About the runaround thing, im really kind of pissed off, first ati's customer support guy said it was defective and i should use the waranty service. So i did and sent the card overnight air because we use our computer alot. So i got it back in a little more then a week and half with no info on what they did, not even saying it WASNT defective, just a letter with some numbers and some stuff and the same card. Now when i talk to them, they seem to just to give me random answers! Another question, my uncle, who knows computers fairly well(mostly does software stuff not hardware) was over and said that it could also be the monitor. I have a 10 or so year old 21 '' Gateway Vivitron 21 rebranded Sony CRT (i believe), could this really be the problem? I do have other monitors at my dads work so its not that much of a hastle to try.
  • edited December 2004
    Oh and about the motherboard, i have an ASUS p4p8x which I, just a couple of days ago flashed with the newest BIOS.
  • edited December 2004
    If you find out whats the problem drop a line here i got basicly the same problem as you highlighted with your screen shot..........
  • edited December 2004
    well, i went down to my dad's lab, tried a compaq 21" monitor, problem still there. :( So I guess Ill have to wait for ATI to start work again! :bawling: Maybe after talking with ATI for a 3 months or so, they'll just break down and give me a new board! lol
    edited December 2004
    try the other vid card, you'll see it'll work
  • edited December 2004
    Enk1du wrote:
    well, i went down to my dad's lab, tried a compaq 21" monitor, problem still there. :( So I guess Ill have to wait for ATI to start work again! :bawling: Maybe after talking with ATI for a 3 months or so, they'll just break down and give me a new board! lol

kanezfan you post the most unhelpfull replys ever try reading the posts fully before telling people try another vid card after them already having gotten a replacement and clealy stated that.

Enk1du, Hope you get it working at the moment ive had a replacement card and im at a total lose to what my problem is only thing it could be is the mother board likly "kill -9 ATI" im thinking about putting my ATI 9200 back in and just putting the 9800 back in its box for the near future =/

Good luck
    edited December 2004
    Scot, you need to start on your free trial of hooked on phonics my friend. He clearly said that ATI sent him THE SAME CARD BACK. They Probably didn't do anything to it at all. I've had the same problem with a ti4600. Once I RMA'd it back to Newegg and got my 9500 pro, it worked right away, no problems. He's been going at this for over a month and a half now, I'm just telling him what WILL work. YOU my friend, are giving the most unhelpful replies, you've not said one thing that would help fix his problem. I've been replying to Enk1du the whole time if you hadn't noticed, not you. I believe your problem is heat related. How hot is it in the room where your PC s located? What are the temps inside your case? You probably just need to cool down your vid card better.

Now as far as Enk1du's problem, again, your card is dead. You need another card. If you get another card and it does the same thing, then you might look at trying another motherboard. I've been doing this for a long time, I know what I'm talking about.
  • edited December 2004
    hey come on you guys, stop fighting, all help is appreciated. And scot, I hope you also get your card working! :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2004
    Hey Enk1du,

i think i might have fixed my problem, been playing games for 5 hours now and no a prob so hopfully..

ok try this go to the: start bar -> click run ->type smartgart -> then turn off "AGP Read" and also "AGP write" if its on.

See if that works for you, senice your problem seems almost identical to mine

Edit: 24 hours later things are running nice.. hope the same for you :)
  • edited January 2005
    well, i tried it, didnt work. i guess Ill have to have again wait for ATI!
    edited January 2005
    have you tried to use a totally different card in there? i'm not talking about the card ATI sent you back, I"m talking about using another card, like an old card you might have laying around? Try that, install the drivers for it, see if it works.
  • edited January 2005
    no i haven't been able to, school starts again on monday, then ill talk to the person with an extra card. I dont have an extra.
    edited January 2005
    ok, i'll guarantee you that the other card will work flawlessly, provided it works of course :D
  • edited January 2005
    ok, well i got the card today, but didnt get home tell 9:00. So i guess ill have to do it tommorow, but the card is an ATI RAGE 128 pro. Not great, but should work.
  • edited January 2005
    OK, i dont know if this is good or bad, but i just got this email from ATI. No i didnt request an RMA form, so maybe they AGAIN think its defective. So does everyone think i should spend the money to send it in again? If so, what could i do to make sure they actuley do something (last time they did nothing)?

Dear Alex Briggs,

Thank you for contacting ATI Customer Care.

This email is being sent to you because you either requested warranty service, or we have determined that you require warranty service for your ATI product based on the email we received.

Most ATI products are covered by a 3 year limited warranty from the date of purchase. In this time, ATI will repair or replace your product free of charge. The only expense to you is shipping and handling to ATI. You may also consider returning your defective product to your original vendor to save time and/or shipping/handling charges.

If you would like to proceed to have your product serviced by ATI, then please take the time to fill out the Online Warranty Service Request form at https://apps.ati.com/rma/rma.html. Remember that omissions or inaccuracies may prolong this procedure.

If your display adapter came preinstalled in an Apple system, please contact Apple for all Technical Support and Warranty Service for this product. Removing it yourself may void your Apple warranty.

If your question is not answered, or you have a technical issue, other than a RMA, please re-submit your query via our Online "Request for Assistance" form available at http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webform.asp. The details requested in this form will assist us in providing you with the most accurate information available for your situation.

Regards,

Customer Care
    ATI Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.ati.com
  • dwkjofficedwkjoffice Outer Mongolia
    edited January 2005
    Dont know if this is still an activily persued thred but, i had exactly the same problem, took me ages to find out the cure.

Use ATItool to lower your memory setting, yes, lower than standard settings.
    My standard settings were 340, i lowered them to 300 and all corruption fixed.

My memory on board was SO hot, but now its cooler, and i am now going to buy some vga ram cooler heatsinks, so at least i should be nearer norm again.
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2005
    Final solution: GET BETTER COOLING!!!!! The card may be dying, if you have gotten around to trying another one, and it works, send your problem card back to ATI, use ground shipping because it is cheaper, and use the card that works for now. When you get your new card back, PUT A VGA SILENCER ON IT!!!!! This will cool your GPU and RAM, also, using ATI tool to lower your settings may not be a bad idea unless this causes unbearable game slowdown. The lower your settings are the better. The idea is to find the lowest possible settings while getting the most reasonable performance out of your games. This will keep your card working ofor a long time. Imagine running a car engine in first gear, never shifting it into second. It will burn up because it is not working efficiently. Granted, Vid Cards are supposed to work at default spec but, in all reality, they don't always. So.... Try a new card, send the old one back, when it comes back, put a VGA SILENCER on it http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-113&depa=0 and use ATI Tool to adjust the settings down so you are using as few od the cards resources as possible.

However, if you try another card and have the same issue, get a new motherboard. For all of the money you have spent thus far, if a different vid card has the same issue, a new mobo can be an easy and realtively cheap fix. Those are your options. If none of the above work, you will have your PC rights revoked and be issued a standard abbacus to do computations with for the rest of your life!!! ( ;) )
  • edited January 2005
    i dont know, but i guess you can just call me crazy but i think that when i buy a new piece of hardware i expect the hardware to run properally and not require moding to make it work (not including drivers and stuff). I mean i understand what your saying, it just kind of pisses me off. On a side note, i re emailed ati about the RMA issue and they said if an RMA is suggested there is almost no more troubleshoting they can do anymore and that i should send it in. On a scarier note i just looked at my card more in depth and relized that this is a different card:banghead: (I think, the 102# and the serial # were different, but to calm me a little bit, I did include this in my message to ati and they still gave me the email telling me to RMA it.)
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2005
    I think there may be something in the way that the MOBO works that causes these cards to run differently, that is, everymobo will have different temps from the same card. Your two components just may not be getting along very well. As I stated earlier, either better cooling or a new mobo, preferably both but the choice is yours.
  • edited January 2005
    Justin wrote:
    I think there may be something in the way that the MOBO works that causes these cards to run differently, that is, everymobo will have different temps from the same card. Your two components just may not be getting along very well. As I stated earlier, either better cooling or a new mobo, preferably both but the choice is yours.

I see what your saying but im REALLY poor, so buying all that stuff would most not likely be possible. But for future refarance, a) what MOBO would you suggest for my specs(p4 3.2, 1gb ddr 333mhz ram, ati radeon AIW9800 pro)? b) how hard would it be to replace Mobo c) how hard would it be to get everthing re working. You know, i just cant accept that its the mobo, i mean, why would it crash ONLY in 3d games which means it should be the GPU, AND it crahses at random points, its not like i can force it to happen by doing someting. :scratch:
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2005
    Chances are that it is just the graphics card. I only said that about the mother board because you said that ATI sent you a different card and you had the same issue. When you get the card back this time, get that cooler for it. As far as another MoBo goes, I am no expert on Intel chipsets but if memory serves, you have a decent one. When you start changing out system components and get the same results everytime, it can be really frustrating. Honestly, changing out the MoBO should be a last resort. If you do that, you will have to reinstall everything and spend a few hours restoring files, not good times.
  • edited January 2005
    well, right now we plan to send it back, hopefully on monday! i really hope they fix my problem, as you said, the MOBO would totally be my last resort, lol.
  • edited January 2005
    well we sent in in a second time, but this time UPS ground (much cheaper) and with a good letter included and a cd with all past corespondences and a bunch of screen shots:thumbsup: . I hope to get this issue behind me. But if it does work when it gets back i plan on buying a card fan (just to keep it alive longer) but was wondering what fan would you suggest for a 9800 AIW card (i heard some dont fit the AIW because of the extra stuff)? Also how hard is putting a fan on? :scratch: