Radeon 9800 Pro AIW graphic corupting

124»

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Well, i still havent had the computer crash once since i underclocked the card. But it just bothers me that im playing the see no evil card on it. It just keeps naging me what could the problem be? I mean, the card worked for almost 7 months and then started showing the problem, why would it take time if it was heat? wouldnt it just crash from the begining? Also, i think you might be right and putting an Artic silencer would probably fix it but i just dont think its cool having to BUY(think spending more money) on something that would void my waranty, lol. But to your response about ebay, how could i sell it on ebay, i dont think i could get very much money for it since its an older card, registerd (well maybe not since its a different board(which again drives me batty, how can this be!!!)) and its been refurbished. So how much money do you think i could get for that, lol(plus i have no money to buy another card and if i did it would most likely be a xfx geforce 6600 gt which ive heard some good things about for the price. Also, if anyone cares they should look at this thread http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27149 which to me seems to say it may be a conflict between asus motherboards and the card(since we all have Asus motherboards and 9800s and having the problem)
  • corvinmsfcorvinmsf San Francisco, CA
    edited April 2005
    My problem didn't happen right out of the box either. I recall playing games occasionally after I built my system in late 2003. The graphics corruption started happening in late 2004, almost a year later. But once it started, it always seemed to come back after playing games a while. I was able to determine that the corruption seemed to be tied to temperature, thus I bought a Arctic Cooler for $20 and luckily it solved my problem.

A quick check on eBay shows that used Radeon 9800 AIW's are selling from $100 to $200. Not sure how well your unit would do since it's refurbished, and I think ATi has kind of screwed you here by replacing your card with a refurbished one multiple times. They should have just sent you a new one, which would be much easier to sell on eBay. Even if you bought a $400 new GeForce card you could possibly recover $200 off the sale of your AIW.

But since you have $0 to spend, you're kind of stuck with under-clocking your card. I don't want to tell you to buy a Arctic Cooler and it not work for you, but it certainly is less expensive than buying a new card.

Since I have an Asus motherboard and my issue was resolved by a cooler, I don't agree with your logic that Asus boards have a conflict with ATi cards. Three of the posters on the thread you mentioned have the Asus A7N8X board, which according to the specs on Asus's site uses AMD CPU's (which run hotter than Intel CPU's) and the nForce chipset - which is made by nVidia. Perhaps that is where their conflict with ATI cards is coming in. :eek:

Your Asus P4P8X board is different as it uses the Intel chipset and runs Intel CPU's, not AMD's. Since the specs on your board indicate that your system has to be overclocked to run 800 Mhz FSB, perhaps there's something going on there that's causing your problem.

It's also interesting to note that serveral people that have this problem don't experience it when they stick an nVidia card in their system or when they have a friend try their "faulty" card out on another system. . .not sure where to go with this, but it's an interesting aspect.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    1 GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder
    Western Digital 250 GB HD
    Western Digital 120 GB HD
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 eX Platinum
    Super Flower Mid-Tower Aluminum Case
    Vantec Stealth 420W Power Supply
  • edited April 2005
    well, i see what your saying but when i was really thinking of buying a silencer and was looking how to put it on i relized that it would void your waranty (correct?) to put it and if my problem is something else i would die, I mean i still have like 2 years left on my waranty and getting rid of it would be a damn shame.
  • corvinmsfcorvinmsf San Francisco, CA
    edited April 2005
    Enk1du wrote:
    well, i see what your saying but when i was really thinking of buying a silencer and was looking how to put it on i relized that it would void your waranty (correct?) to put it and if my problem is something else i would die, I mean i still have like 2 years left on my waranty and getting rid of it would be a damn shame.

Yes, technically, installing the cooler will void your warrenty. This is to protect ATI from losing money by being obligated to replace cards for people that like to tinker.

From my point of view, your warrenty is doing you little good. Despite multiple replacements of your card by ATi, you can only get it to play games while underclocked. And they send you a refurbished card each time. Gee, that's some warrenty.

Keep in mind the cooler isn't a permanent addition to your card - you can always remove it and put the original cooling solution back. Here's something to consider:
    (1) Buy the Arctic Cooler from a vendor with a good return policy, i.e. 30 days and no/low restocking fee.
    (2) Install the cooler and take it for a test drive.
    (3) If the problem is resolved, keep the cooler and play games happily ever after (or until your next graphics card upgrade).
    (4) If the problem remains, remove the cooler and return it, putting the original cooler back in place.

If the cooler didn't solved my problem, I was out of ideas on how to fix it (and frankly so were these forums). Sending my card back to ATI and waiting for repair was not an option as I use my PC several times each day. I was prepared to buy the fastest GeForce card I could get my hands on sell my AIW on eBay. Luckily for me it didn't come to this.

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
    Intel P4 3.06 GHz w/HT
    1 GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder
    Western Digital 250 GB HD
    Western Digital 120 GB HD
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 eX Platinum
    Super Flower Mid-Tower Aluminum Case
    Vantec Stealth 420W Power Supply
  • edited April 2005
    Hey there, after looking about two weeks for someone else with this problem I finally found it.

Unlike other people, I got this problem AFTER installing a VGA silencer revision 3. I probably took out the heatsink 10 different times trying 3 different kinds of thermal paste every time. I probably used half a bottle of rubbing alcohol getting the paste off my core. I was thinking overheating, if I had a razor available I would've takin off the shim of the card. After a while, it turns out that it was the Power Supply. I was using a 450W house brand power supply :eek: . I unplugged all my opticals, all my fans, blew a fan into my case just in case, and the problem was solved. I can overclock my AIW to 390 core and 365 mem (I can get up to 404 core and 376 mem on ati tool to my dismay, I was expecting more like the sexy 418 I saw in the reviews) and play counter strike flawlessly for as long as I want. I still get the problem when I run 3dMark05, probably because it is a lot more graphics intensive, im getting 16 frames per second while the card was overclocked before I get that mass artifacting problem you had. My +5 voltages were stable at 4.89 but my +12 is at 11.70, which I've heard is bad. So for me, I've concluded that it was a PSU problem. I know Antec makes good PSU's but it could be that it is dying. Have you tried another PSU, im thinking it might solve the problem. Just speaking out of experience, I hope this helps you.

EDIT: Just now I just got a whole bunch of Voltage errors with my +5V reinforcing my point that it's my PSU.
  • edited April 2005
    Ok i was surfing on the net to get infos cause my damn 9800 PRO AIW did the same thing to me .... for what i see .. the 3d chip is realy dead cause everithing else is ok ...movie, etc, etc in 2D ... and i realy think the original heatsink is realy not sufficient for this card ... BTW mine had ciryx memory not samsung ! Don't now if it can make any difference ...

My systeme :

Scorpio 868 case with 6 fans ( so dont tell it's overheating !!!! ) , A7n8x-x, thermaltake pure silent 420 Watt, 2500+@ 2.4 G , ram DDR @ pc 2700

I never overclock a graphic card so it's not that ....

I never had any trouble whit any AGP card before in that system and for me now ... ATI Suck ....

I see on other forum people saying and here to ... it's overheating put an silencer 3 .... NO !!!!!!!! What the hell is that answer !!! ... IT'S NOT SUPPOSE TO OVERHEAT !!!! and NO you dont have to change the heatsink to get more cooling ... it's not suppose to overheat like that i say it again ... cause if it's the case, ATI are not realy correct by putting a heatsink not enough sufficient for the card !

So for everybody who have the same problem.... RMA that sh** and make youre self a good gift .... By A Nvidia card !!!

I'm realy frustrated i admit that but ... i paid 350 $ canadien dollars for for 2 monts of troubles ...

And another thing ... ATI driver are so ... haaaa never mind !!!!

AND BTW my 6600GT rock'S !!!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2005
    checkfx wrote:
    Ok i was surfing on the net to get infos cause my damn 9800 PRO AIW did the same thing to me .... for what i see .. the 3d chip is realy dead cause everithing else is ok ...movie, etc, etc in 2D ... and i realy think the original heatsink is realy not sufficient for this card ... BTW mine had ciryx memory not samsung ! Don't now if it can make any difference ...

My systeme :

Scorpio 868 case with 6 fans ( so dont tell it's overheating !!!! ) , A7n8x-x, thermaltake pure silent 420 Watt, 2500+@ 2.4 G , ram DDR @ pc 2700

I never overclock a graphic card so it's not that ....

I never had any trouble whit any AGP card before in that system and for me now ... ATI Suck ....

I see on other forum people saying and here to ... it's overheating put an silencer 3 .... NO !!!!!!!! What the hell is that answer !!! ... IT'S NOT SUPPOSE TO OVERHEAT !!!! and NO you dont have to change the heatsink to get more cooling ... it's not suppose to overheat like that i say it again ... cause if it's the case, ATI are not realy correct by putting a heatsink not enough sufficient for the card !

So for everybody who have the same problem.... RMA that sh** and make youre self a good gift .... By A Nvidia card !!!

I'm realy frustrated i admit that but ... i paid 350 $ canadien dollars for for 2 monts of troubles ...

And another thing ... ATI driver are so ... haaaa never mind !!!!

AND BTW my 6600GT rock'S !!!!!!!!!!

What kind of power supply do you have, an El Cheapo one that came with your case?
  • edited April 2005
    read my post carrefuly .......
  • edited July 2005
    Well, its been so long since this happend, but I'll post a little update. First off, I would like to thank everyone for the help that was given. Now, I have been playing all kinds of games, CS:S, HL2, BF2, Farcry, Brothers in Arms, and BF vietnam to name a few, and I havn't had the card crash since. BUT, I still have the card underclocked, lol. So, the problem hasn't gotten any worse or better, but I have been able to play games. ATI has recently made their number toll free and I'm home for the summer so I might call and complain some more, make my self, and this problem visable. I just hope they have found a solution, or can with the info I have gathered. :shakehead
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Like I told you from the beginning, RMA the card. You wasted all this time and all along you could have had a new card by now. It's simple, you paid for something, but have to use it at a lesser level than it was intended to be used. Would you pay $250,000 for a Lamborghini only to find out it only ran at 60mph? Hell no you wouldn't. You'd take it back to where you bought it and ask for a new one. So yeah, call ATI and tell the card blows and you want a new one no questions asked. There is nothing you can tweak in your BIOS or in Windows or anywhere else that will make the card work. It is mechanically defective, pure and simple. Tell them you want a brand new card, not a refurbished piece of ****.
  • edited July 2005
    I love this, but, my mobo just died. Came home from a trip and there was no signal. So i tried a sof resest, well the fans worked, cd drives worked, but no ligts on the mobo and when the tech took out the ram and ried to start it he got no error beeps. I dont know if this was a cause or just another craptastic problem i get to deal with.
  • edited July 2005
    God, that cost an arm and a leg, freaking rip off. The computer was out of waranty, so I got charged the whole fee. BUT, the old asus has a 3 yr wararnty so I may see if they can fix that, then sell it on ebay to help recoup my losses. Another thing, It was the mother board. I just tested it, put the card on defualt settings and no artifacts with ATITools artifact checker! God this sucks...
  • edited August 2005
    Hey all, I had the same problem with an ATI9700pro and the soulution is simple. Take your ASUS A7N8X and put it in the trash can because 5/10 they cannot operate a 8x card right, they over volt it and burn out the mem chips as well as the GPU, I have an ATI AIW 9800pro now and its in a DFI lanparty Ultra B and they love each other, just for the sake of it you can search all forums and the ASUS boards will keep coming up, coincidence I think Not,
    try it in a different Rig and you will see it will probably work if it hasnt already been fried like my 9700pro. plus just an after thought but did you pop of the heatsink and put arctic silver 5 on it cause that stuff is as good as gold :)
    These cards do get very hot even 70-100 degrees C is not rare but the damn AIW is a bitch to find a cooler that will fit it, im still looking myself so anyone who knows a perfect one post me back

Later Yall hope I helped

The End
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    the soulution is simple. Take your ASUS A7N8X and put it in the trash
    :scratch:

:confused:

:eek:

;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    i have a regular (non-AIW) 9800pro and its great. So don't hate the 9800 family, just that motherboard and the AIW 9800pro :D:thumbsup:
  • edited August 2005
    Oh dont get me wrong I will always buy ATI brand cards as they are always a step ahead of nVidia and cheaper too, But when I had problems with my A7N8X Deluxe and my Radeon 9700pro(may it RIP) when I did a search on Google almost every forum had someone talking about the ASUS board and the ATI card having issues about artifacting, Overheating and then Death.
    So to save anyone trying to fix or RMA thier 9800Pro (anykind) while having an ASUS Motherboard my advice is to try the card in another board before blaming the card. We all know the only problem with ATI cards is the Drivers but I think finding the right driver for your card is a learning expirience and can teach you about what does what for your particular card.
    As I said already, I have an AIW ATI 9800PRO 128MB card and I love it and my DFI lanparty feels like it was built for it. It will play Battlefield 2, Farcry, Half life 2 and Doom3 with Settings all Maxed out, It never did that with an ASUS Deluxe

My Specs
    XP2500+ @2.2Ghz(3200+)
    DFI lanparty nVidia NF2 ULTRA 400 B
    1 Gb Corsair XMS3200 @ 2,2,2,5 - 3v
    All in Wonder ATI 9800Pro 128
    120Gb Maxtor SATA
    40Gb Samsung ATA100 (storage)
    LG DVD +/-/RAM Writer
    18" LCD Microtek Monitor
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    Just noticed this thread.. there was a known compatibility issue between the A7N8X and the 9700 Pro. Asus corrected this in their last BIOS revision.. My old 9700pro AIW would not post in that board no matter what I did until I flashed the bios.
  • edited September 2005
    Well i have been having the same issue with my aiw 9800 pro. I havent even had a chance to play a game let alone have windows work right. At first the bios screen after like a minute and not even getting past the windows loading screen the screen would scramble and pixelate. Later i tried putting the card in my buddys system and it ran perfect with world of warcraft without corrupting the screen.

But another thing i tryied was taking the floppys power and putting it directly with the vid card, this worked enough to get the computer to boot into windows and allow me to install drivers. But if i try to even load a graphical program (screen saver, games, ect) It will scrammble and pixelate. After reading alot of boards about this problem im leaning towards psu since it worked fine in my buddys rig. Here are specs on my system so hopefully someone can help, so far i havent found a difinitive answer to this problem. I know its not a defective card so something with my system has to be the blame.

a7n8x-e deluxe bios 1013
    768 kingston ram
    3 hard drives (ide, 1- 7200 2- 5200 speed)
    2 exhaust fans, 1 intake and 1 big cpu fan
    1 cd-rw
    1 dvdrw
    creative audigy card
    maxtor ide adapter card
    athlon xp 2000+
    430watt antec supercool power supply (close to two years old now)

Hope you guys can help, really dont want to throw money at the problem like most troubleshooting entails. Thanks
    edited September 2005
    Hmm, sounds like PSU to me as well, however an Antec 430 should be more than up to the job on that system. Could you check your +12V, +5V and +3.3V rails, and let us know what you are getting? You can check that in the BIOS, which will likely be fairly accurate. If any of the rails are sagging, you could get behavior like that.

Just to clarify, did the card pixelate and artifact in the bios? or was it definitely loading windows by that point? If it only occurs in windows, it could actually be software related. You may want to ensure you don't have a copy of ATItool installed, or any other 3rd party overclocking application, that may be pushing the clocks up upon windows boot..
  • edited September 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hmm, sounds like PSU to me as well, however an Antec 430 should be more than up to the job on that system. Could you check your +12V, +5V and +3.3V rails, and let us know what you are getting? You can check that in the BIOS, which will likely be fairly accurate. If any of the rails are sagging, you could get behavior like that.

Just to clarify, did the card pixelate and artifact in the bios? or was it definatly loading windows by that point? If it only occurs in windows, it could actually be software related. You may want to ensure you don't have a copy of ATItool installed, or any other 3rd party overclocking application, that may be pushing the clocks up upon windows boot..

Yes it did do it in the bios initialy when i had the power to the card shared with one of the hard drives. After i put the power from the floppy on the card it wont scramble in the bios. Before it would boot normally, id leave it sit in the bios and after like a minute it would scramble. Now with direct power it can load windows.

I cant see the voltages right now since im at work but ill check when i get home, im almost hoping that my psu is shot, i really want to play games with my new toy :(

edit- on a side note, if it is my psu what is a good power supply that has a power connector just for graphics cards like the aiw 9800 pro? Or whats one that you guys would recommend.
  • edited September 2005
    Ok, here are my volage reading and im asuming they are bad since ive seen on forums that if the +5v is under 4.75 or so then the psu is bad. Well here is what i monitored in the first minute i started my system.

vcore = 1.64
    3.3v = 3.29 - .26
    +5v = 4.78 4.75 4.73 4.67 4.70 4.62 4.59
    12v 12.6
  • edited September 2005
    Solved the problem. It was like most people here said, my psu was obviously bad from the 5v+ readings i posted earlyer. It now runs fine and stable with a thermatake psu w0010.

But another issue happend where the tv part is stuttery and audio skips abit, gah it never ends :shakehead
    edited September 2005
    Yep, your +5V is sagging way too low. That's actually the EXACT same problem I had with my Antec 430. Got it RMA'ed and all was OK. They have 3 year coverage, so you should check if you still have your receipt. I had the original revision, and the replacement they gave me was the latest model, with a beefier 12V rail, sata connectors etc..

The ATX specification requires voltage rails stay within +/- 5% of specification, so for 5V, it should be within 4.75-5.25V. Which you are dropping below.

I remember when my antec started to go, my hard drives started acting up, and my 5V was a lowly 4.3V.

Good luck! If you need some PSU recommendations, let us know..
  • edited September 2005
    Ya, kinda feel stupid now that i bought a new psu when i could have warrented my current one. I bought a thermaltake w0010 480watt one. But im still going to warrenty my old one and maybe sell the replacement i get. I was just in too much of a hurry to get my system going again and didnt think. Oh well i guess.
  • edited September 2007
    corvinmsf wrote:
    Please note that there are specific versions of this cooler depending upon the model number of the card you have. Since I have an All-in-Wonder version of the 9800 Pro, the only cooling solution for me was the unit I mentioned above.

Wrong actually. There have never been any Artic coolers made, designed to fit All-in Wonder cards. They do one for ATI 9800 pro - not the All-in wonder 9800 pro.
  • edited July 2009
    I know this is old but I am having a problem with my Sapphire 9800 pro. I built my system back in 2003 and it has run fine all these years till recently I got a virus so I did a complete system format. I reinstalled all my drivers and everything like it was before. Now my video card keeps over heating not just the GPU but the chips on the card get so hot they burn your finger. I have 650W PSU, an Asus A8V Deluxe MB, Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 Megs, Athlon 64 4000+. I have replaced the PSU with another 650W, I replaced the MB with another A8V Deluxe, and I have tried 3 different 9800 pro's and they all over heat. I also run on Windows 2k nobody knows wtf is wrong it worked fine for 7 years and started doing this after a system format.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    What PSU are you using?
    What drivers are you using?
    How do you know it's overheating?

Welcome to Icrontic!
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Buddy, I was using an Ultra 650W for the 7 years I belive I got a Hec X-power Pro 650W to replace it to see if it was the PSU. I couldn't get a better one because most of them have the fan on top and my case is older and the PSU sits up against the top of the case in the back. I'm using the lates drivers for windows 2k vers 6.2 and catalyst. I can tell it's overheating because the heatsink and chips on the card's get so hot it burns your finger and it only gets that hot when I open games the card's lasts for about 2 1/2 hours before the screen freezes and the monitor shuts off into standby and I have to reset my PC. If I load up a game I put my finger on one of the chips and I can actually feel it getting ultra hot till I have to take my finger off. I guess the sapphire's are overclocked because it had the clock and memory set higher then the default so I set it down to default and even tried under clocking it and it still overheats. Thx for the welcome :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    No problem. We're glad you're here.

Sounds to me like your card ISN'T overheating. Just because the heatsinks get too hot to touch doesn't mean they're overheating. Especially on Radeons; they run hot. The GPU temps skyrocket as soon as you fire up a 3D game, and will usually max out in about 10 minutes. Also, when they overheat you usually see artifacts on screen. The in-game graphics will start displaying all sorts of funky issues, textures will go missing, and lighting effects will resemble a bad 70s disco movie. I burned up a Radeon VE and watched it die. It's not a pretty sight.

Two things that could be causing problems are your memory, or the voltage off your current PSU. I'm not familiar with the power supply you've got but HEC isn't known for making the most stable of units IIRC. It could be that the PSU isn't supplying enough juice and that's causing your stability problems. Also, since you've tried a few cards, I'd suspect it's something else with your computer. The usual culprit is memory. You might have a stick or two that are dying so the way to test it is by running Memtest.
  • edited July 2009
    Ehh I went to that site but I'm not exactly sure how you use it. As for the card's it's not just the heatsink getting extreamly hot but the component's on the card's as well like the capacitor's and the chip's they get real hot as well. As for the memory being bad though I just got it this past spring it's the x2 1gig Corsair PC3200 Dual channel stick's and I have them both in the right slots. I upgraded from 2 512 sticks. I'm not even sure if my old PSU is bad I just wanted to try another PSU just to see if it was bad or going bad. I tried putting the card on it's own v rail but it didn't help.