Why we fold, again.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
Hi all,
Some of you may remember. A while ago a workmate of mine joined SM under the name Worried. I think he only posted a few times seeking info about laptops, but he did browse the forums. I know geeky replied, as did a few others. Worried got the laptop he wanted for his 50th birthday earlier this year. His name was Pete and it's true to say you really would have to look a long way to find a nicer guy. Pete was married with a Son and Daughter, both grown up. Three weeks ago Pete went into Christies in Manchester for treatment for Leukaemia. a week after going to his doctors. Last Sunday he was moved to another hospital because he had developed an infection. Yesterday at 3:30pm he died. He will be missed by so many people.

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, sir.

I hope to be able to add to the work being done at Christmas time. We will be going home for the holidays for the first time in several years and I hope to be able to convince some people on both sides of the family to Fold For A Cure.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    :( Oh man, that's terrible.

Fold on, everyone.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    That is sad ...sorry to hear bothered.

:fold:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Sorry to hear about Pete, but you are RIGHT, Bothered, we fold in hope of speeding the day when this does NOT happen, and folks instead survive because things are caught sooner and fixed before folks' biochemical systems go critical.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    Im really sorry to hear the news mate :(

Yes, I remember the laptop thread well and we even exchanged PM's.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2004
    Sorry to hear the news bothered. The more we fold, the closer the day comes that we don't have to worry about cancer, etc.. That day will be a great day.
  • edited November 2004
    :(
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited November 2004
    Sad news Bothered :(
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited November 2004
    I'm really quite saddened to hear that, bothered. Bad news, you have my sympathies, as does his family.

Not really sure if I should have posted here, as I don't fold, but I wanted to let you know I care.

I do crunch with UD though, Cancer only, so I is doing my bit, just a little different, is all.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Sorry to hear about the lose of Pete. Fold hard everyone!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2004
    Sorry for your loss bothered. :sad2:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2004
    Sorry to hear about that sad news Bothered. Finding a cure can't come soon enough.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    That is so sad to hear. Hopefully his kids - and everyone else's - can live in a future world where tragedies like this are a thing of the past. :fold:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2005
    I had to restart this thread.
    As some of you know I have just been made redundant. I worked there with worried (Pete) and four other engineers. There were six of us working shifts in a small workshop. Sad news again. One of the other lads, Mike, went off sick several months before the redundancy, he was suffering with cancer in his back. Anyhow, Mike died on Wednesday, he leaves a wife and two Daughters. This is so sad, that two out of six of us die within nine months is crazy, both Mike and Pete were great blokes and both leave familys.
    Fold away guys.
    Cheers Mike, say hi to Pete for me.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2005
    Sorry to hear about the loss of another mate, bothered. :(
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    My condolonces.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Sad news, indeed. :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Be strong, Bothered. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. We're putting our sympathies (words) into Folding (deeds). Thanks for being part of team and sharing with us. The real-life stories make this endeavor so much more meaningful.

Floppy, I just saw your months-old post here for the first time. You are always welcome to post in the Folding threads here. Maybe we can convert you someday. There's always hope. Even though UD isn't as good as F@H ( :eek: ), it's a noble grind nonetheless! :D