Member challenge..

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Community
Ok.. well since my last idea to try to make Short-Media more unique amongst Vbulletin boards (see quote boxes poll), went down like a lead balloon ;)

I give you keen photoshoppers a challenge...

Build us a better postbit...

Photochop ya best.. and Il code it :)

See below for our current :)

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I couldn't find a Shorty or MM pic, sooo.......
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    You just mean the quote box, or the entire post area?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    You just mean the quote box, or the entire post area?

The whole post area :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    OH! I thought we were doing quote-box only. Hell yeah!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I LOVE THAT ONE, TD!!! That's the best quote box I'VE EVAR SEEN!!!!!!!!!1212six
    edited August 2003
    primesuspect said
    I LOVE THAT ONE, TD!!! That's the best quote box I'VE EVAR SEEN!!!!!!!!!1212six

Should we use it :eek:
    edited August 2003
    I'm photoshopless for the week, but I'll describe my suggestions. If you'd like to modify the quote box, make the quotes about 1/2 that size and the boxes on either side about half the size too. Make the box shade match the blue of the forums, and the quote marks white with a thin black outline.

Put the location above the avatar so it doesn't look like it's floating down there alone, and make the word "location" bolded instead of the actual location for a more uniform feel. Maybe move the colon a space left to the end of "location" so it isn't floating inbetween.

How about if we don't choose a post icon, then that yellow paper at the top of each post just doesn't appear at all? I'd also really like to see a couple more smiley options as post icons too while I'm on that, like :eek: , :p , :rolleyes: , and maybe one or two other positive ones so I'm not stuck always using the same 4 to post milestones.

The main thing that would make it look "original" would be our own non-vB buttons. Maybe round the corners of the postbits too and see what that looks like?

Another random thought: maybe test out what a shaded box behind the username and title would look like. Even make the color of the shaded box at the actual username/title customizable? I dunno, could end up with some pretty colorful forums if you did that... just kicking the thought out there.

hmmmm... I think that's enough for now ;D
    edited August 2003
    Chop it in paint if you have to ;)

This will run until next Wednesday, so you got time :D
    edited August 2003
    :?
    edited August 2003
    :eek: Outstanding!

:respect: Im gonna have a work with that!

Keep them coming but damn, that is gonna be hard to beat!! :D
    edited August 2003
    Make sure to fix the colors when you hack it. I was using MSpaint, and I can't select real colors with that.

Bright teal is our sky blue, dark teal is our signature darker teal.
    edited August 2003
    • Rounded corners
    • Modified location - removed space before colon and reversed bolding
    • Added space above and below avatar
    • Added Team 93 Member designation
    • Removed www and buddy buttons - no one cares about them I bet
    • Spaced out buttons better
    • Capitalized button text to read them easier
    • Put quote check box next to "quote post" text
    • Removed the yellow piece of paper in upper left corner
    • Modified quote style
    • Reduced "report this post to a moderator" to "report this post"
    Please excuse the non-matching font for location and team 93. I couldn't figure out which one it is.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I like Thrax's and Keebs' formats both.
    A few suggestions:
    Thrax's format should be mirrored... if folks post extra large pics or have extra small resolutions, the poster's name and such would drop off the right hand of the screen.
    I really like Keebs' quote box. And where it says "Team 93 Member" I think we should definitely implement that. And for non Team 93 members, put in "Short-Media Freeloader" or something of the like...

And yeah, please get rid of the piece of paper if you can!
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited August 2003
    thrax's does need to be flipped along the vertical axis, but otherwise it is quite good.

keeb's is quite good, i really like the rounded corners and the quote box itself. however, i personally think that the actual quotation characters need to contrast more with the background color. what i mean by that is that instead of being just white, they should be outlined in black or a blue, OR make them a bit bigger and be black instead of white. i would make a picture of what i have in mind, but i'm not on my computer and won't be for a few more days, at which point i'll be happy to give you guys a mock-up of what i have in mind.
  • hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
    edited August 2003
    Heres a real quick one for you. Will try to do something a bit more professional when I get chance at work tomorrow
    edited August 2003
    Cool.. nice submissions :D

Il take all of these and do some slicing. Remember postbits have to be able to contract & stretch to meet different resolutions :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2003
    It's now Thursday morning and this is the first time I've seen this thread. I like the last two best but then I like the one we have. Keep it simple.

bothered.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I like simple too. Also, if/when you do put some of these in, make sure to keep the old theme available too :)
  • hoojhooj Bournemouth, UK
    edited August 2003
    here a better version of the one I did before