Webmin

TiribulusTiribulus HOCKEYTOWN USA
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
For any of you guys using Linux looking for an absoloutly fabulous remote admin tool check WEBMIN . If you haven't seen it, it runs in a browser and gives you practically comprehensive power over your machine from anywhere with web access. Will make your hair stand on end with all the modules it supports. Security is fine as long as your own security is.
>>>--Tiribulus-->:D

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thanks to you, Tirib, I am a happy webmin user. Although I use phpMyAdmin for MySQL, everything else in there is absolutely wonderful.

The Samba module alone is worth the download. It's much better than the SWAT interface.

Basically anything with a conf file becomes much easier to manage with Webmin.
  • TiribulusTiribulus HOCKEYTOWN USA
    edited June 2003
    No trouble at all bro. I love it except that it's kind of babied me into not learning manual configuration like I wish I would. Samba is a perfect example. EZ administration with Webmin. Not only that, Jamie really treats it as a labor of love and faithfully updates it addressing user requests and bugs.
    >>>--Tiribulus-->:D
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I've used webmin before, it's pretty neat, but something jsut doesnt sit right with me, administering a whole box via the web....anyone else ge this feeling or am I just overly paraniod????
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I set up webmin to only accept connections from within my LAN. If I absolutely need to use it elsewhere, I SSH in to the box and change the allowed connections through Lynx.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I've used it, and I install it for clients cutting there teeth in linux.

My recomendation, use it to save your azz in a pinch, but do your best to learn the CLI. When you find yourself going to it on a regular basis, then its time to start forcing yourself to learn the other ways.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    TIL you can get an achievement for this.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Only if it's organic!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    BS. >:[