Hey Guys...new member here...

BenZBenZ CT, USA
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
Hi, my name is Ben Kirby, I just joined the Folding@Home project and was told by David B, another team member from I belive MA, to join this team. I work with David at The Hartford so he turned me on to this and I think this is really cool.

A little about me, I'm 6'3'', dirty blonde, blue eyes, enjoy tinckering with computer hardware, building ones out of parts (the current box im running F@H is a creation of mine :thumbsup: ) and have a strong specialty in computer software.

I am running a AMD K6, LOL ;D , 24 hrs. for F@H FOR NOW. I am getting my hands on parts to run multiple boxes on my network and crank out some serious power. If anyone wants to make a donation, It can help my project go a little faster :D.

Hit me up an e-mail @ BKirby8677@sbcglobal.net, which also happens to be my PayPal name if, you know.... :D:p

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    So how do you get one wu and no points?????

Welcome into the fold Ben.
    This is a great place to fold and hang out.
    And some of these guys really know their stuff.
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2003
    Ben you idiot.

I'm David Jones.

Thus: Jonsey : p

David Brys is the *other* Dave. And I live in CT, thought just south of the Mass border, so that's fair : )

And w00t. I've returned one folder to the flock, and gotten a new guy signed up just in two days :D

Nice to see you on Ben. :fold::fold::fold:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Great to see you here, Ben! :) Go check out the "New to the Team? Start here" thread that is stickied in this forum for some other stuff to check out around here.

Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it, and check out the rest of the site too :cool: I hope you see you around the forums!

-Matt
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Welcome to the fold Ben, I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the team :wave:.

Fold on :fold:

~Cyrix
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2003
    CyrixInstead said
    Welcome to the fold Ben, I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the team SNIP! ~Cyrix

You don't know him, do you? :hiding:
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    Ah David, Jones...thats right...LOL...my fault. Yes you have done a very good job recruting.

Your last reply I do not know who Cyrix is...should I?

Sorry about the Dave mix-up...stupid IT people... ;):D

To anwser your question edcentric, the WU said it was bad when it sent it back to the server...i don't think it was done processing so it errored out.

Currently running F@H now on my PC I use all the time on a P4 2.0 GHz box but I use this all the time so I'm doing other stuff. I can get parts for a decent AMD XP 2.4 or 2.5 GHz machine for about $400. I have the case, the video and sound cards, and memory....I still need around $200 worth of equiptment, then I'll be pounding out a dedicated F@H machine.

Like I said, BKirby8677@sbcglobal.net is my PayPal account name, few bucks here and there wouldn't hurt...all of it world go towards this machine. LOL ;) O, well...I might have enough after the next 2 weeks.

And I know Dave, you makign good money @ The Hartford... :D;D
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    Welcome to the team :wave::fold:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Glad to have you on the team!

:thumbsup::fold:
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    Thanks guys and girls (if there was any replying) :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    With a name like that, maybe you should get one of these! :vimp:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Welcome!
    BenZ said
    To anwser your question edcentric, the WU said it was bad when it sent it back to the server...i don't think it was done processing so it errored out.

That usually means you're overclocked too high ;-/
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Ben, welcome to The Team.

Prof, maybe he should get one of <a href="www.mbusa.com">these</a>

Oh, and take a look @ the front of that case... it resembles a Mercedes CLK... I may need to buy one ;)
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    shwaip said

That usually means you're overclocked too high ;-/ [/B]

I had to start and stop the console numerous times to get the client cfg. settings and the EMIII talkign to eachother correctly. The CPU ussage was screwing up and wasn't staying at 100...got it fixed now, but its running a lame AMD K6 3D pros. probley somewhere around 800MHz :banghead: :banghead:

That will run WU's (at 100 hours a WU I might add) untill I get the existing parts for the new dedicated "folder" box. But until them I will be runnign my own comp. with a 1.8GHz P4 :respect: LOL and that POS box sitting on my bedroom floor :eek3:
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    Yeah that case was reeeeeeeeeeealy nice :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Ben, if it's a K6, it's actually slower than you think. The K6s stopped @ either 500 or 550MHz...
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    Oh, sweet. Cranking more power...LOL. OK, well its a POS no matter what. Borrowed box so its better than nothing.
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    UPDATE:

For that bad WU i sent in i actualy got 0.08 points.

A for effort???? They felt bad for the K6 users :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    If you want that K6 box to crank try Win98SE and try to use the -forceasm switch. If you stick the Win98SE on it you do need drivers for a chipset tuned to your hardware chipset for 98\ME--most of the latest drivers work on both, and work decent on 98SE.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Welcome to the team :thumbsup::fold:
  • BenZBenZ CT, USA
    edited August 2003
    I belive the drivers are taken care of but because it is in the middle of a WU, how can i force the -forceasm switch?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    That was the partial credit they are giving out now.