SM18 cometh:

edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
SM18 is now on it's way to generating it's first WU. Soon as it does, I'll at it's stats to my sig (along with another enticing pic... but no-one ever looks at them anyways). :D

I'll post pics of the machine as soon as I get my room tidied up. It's nothing much to look at, the case doesn’t even have all of it's bays covered, but I like to show off. :tongue:

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Man saw this thread was posted before the blackout and I finally get to post in it now.:)

Great job TheSmJ.:)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Lookin' good! :thumbsup:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Glad to hear it :thumbsup::respect::fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    We want to see our new baby! Don't hold back on us!:bawling:
  • edited August 2003
    Great job getting her up and running, man!:):fold:
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    Way to go for the SM F@H team
  • edited August 2003
    Here's a pic of SM18. Anyone have some drivebay covers they'd like to donate? ;D

What's the T in a circle mean? I dunno... case came with that. I'll clean it off later.
    edited August 2003
    OOH, that case badge recess is begging for an AMD sticker.
    edited August 2003
    Oh it sure does. Call AMD and they should send you some.
  • edited August 2003
    I would, if someone could give me the correct phone number. They really give them away? Free shipping and all?

My other comps (all AMD, cept for the HP toaster) also are in need of one.

For SM18, I'd say a "Short-Media" case badge would be better. I'm pretty sure I could put together a pretty nice one.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2003
    Any of the other hosts have pics of there hosted pc's? Maybe we should start a pic thread of all the ICx/SMx computers. I can get one of IC13 up pretty quick.
  • edited August 2003
    SM case badge I made for SM18. This image should print to the standard 2.5 CM sq., the size of most case badge indentations.
    sm.gif 14.1K
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    You can get some case badges printed fairly cheaply at www.securisysagency.com under a bubble domed piece of resin, really nice quality too... from any suitable graphic. Nice stuff... maybe we can use some of the team budget to get a 25 badge run made up for the SMx machines? (was $25.99 for 25 badges when I last checked...) :fold::fold::fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I like the idea of the having the SM Case Badges.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    TheSMJ. I have closer color but need to know what the prongs need to look like. Can you look at adn describe or digital shoot a pick of a cover that fits prongs UP out of case??? Must have 30 front bay covers around and they have among them 5 different fastener details. If have one I can mod to fit or two that are more likely to match your cover closer, can stick them in a bubble mailer and mail adn know how to mod prongs that are bigger to fit smaller if know what template to use. Also, Krylon or most namel spray paints can be used if you microroughen(real tiny narrow small shallow scratches in random patterns) the front of plate with 600 grit wet dry paper (use wet and wipe dry with towel which will pick up the grit in water and leave so little you would be amazed-- if still too much, rinse off and dry) lightly and do not look at all bad. Also, laquer thinner can lift yellowish look from age right off if used springly-- the thin aged most layer comes right off with laquer thinner and it holds the yellowish look on the upper two large bay plate covers. three more whites would not clash as much either, nor would gray Krylon primer (light gray) painted covers. Krylon was designed to beused with plastic, model spray paint also, and the job takes about 20-25 minutes for two to three covers and the primer can be smoothed with same paper to take off runs for a recoat.

Let me know in PM if want and address and give prong dimensions and spacing or give me a digital photo dense enough to print rescaled full size first and will see if can match. I also know a Computer user group with a box of random covers and they want me to work and will give me what they do not really need from time to time.

OT (not really):
    mmonin, the PSUs will go out today, 2-3 day ship.
    edited August 2003
    Gotcha.:)
    edited August 2003
    Nice stuff... maybe we can use some of the team budget to get a 25 badge run made up for the SMx machines? (was $25.99 for 25 badges when I last checked...)

Maybe we could have some made, sell them for 3X cost, and apply proceeds to the SMX fund. I would recommend taking orders, with payment, in advance.

Heck, I'd pay $5 each for two, if they were high quality. I bet many other team members would gladly pay as well.
    edited August 2003
    I would buy one. I still have a Icrontic case badge on my door.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I would buy three or four. I would be willing to chip in like $10.00 (US)
  • edited August 2003
    The one I made is nice, but a plasic domed one sure would beat it (I made mine with high gloss printing paper, cleap packing tape, and double sided carpet tape).

I'd be willing to pay for one or two.
  • edited August 2003
    Ageek said
    TheSMJ. I have closer color but need to know what the prongs need to look like. Can you look at adn describe or digital shoot a pick of a cover that fits prongs UP out of case??? Must have 30 front bay covers around and they have among them 5 different fastener details. If have one I can mod to fit or two that are more likely to match your cover closer, can stick them in a bubble mailer and mail adn know how to mod prongs that are bigger to fit smaller if know what template to use. Also, Krylon or most namel spray paints can be used if you microroughen(real tiny narrow small shallow scratches in random patterns) the front of plate with 600 grit wet dry paper (use wet and wipe dry with towel which will pick up the grit in water and leave so little you would be amazed-- if still too much, rinse off and dry) lightly and do not look at all bad. Also, laquer thinner can lift yellowish look from age right off if used springly-- the thin aged most layer comes right off with laquer thinner and it holds the yellowish look on the upper two large bay plate covers. three more whites would not clash as much either, nor would gray Krylon primer (light gray) painted covers. Krylon was designed to beused with plastic, model spray paint also, and the job takes about 20-25 minutes for two to three covers and the primer can be smoothed with same paper to take off runs for a recoat.

Let me know in PM if want and address and give prong dimensions and spacing or give me a digital photo dense enough to print rescaled full size first and will see if can match. I also know a Computer user group with a box of random covers and they want me to work and will give me what they do not really need from time to time.

OT (not really):
    mmonin, the PSUs will go out today, 2-3 day ship.

Prongs? I'm sorry, WTF are you talking about?
    edited August 2003
    The lil things that keep the cover in place. Whatever keeps the cover attached to the case.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I thought he was referring to the slot covers?
    edited August 2003
    Yeah the slot covers. Now how are they affatched?

Lil strips of plastic perpendicular from the slot face that go back into the case.
  • edited August 2003
    ...Ohh, ok.

Anyways, the bay covers are attached with clips in the center of the edges. I actually don’t have any that fit, the ones pictured are from my old 486 case, and I had to use tape to get them to stay on.

I'll take a pic of the cover I need to show you exactly what I mean later tonight.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2003
    I'd buy a SM case sticker if it was contributing to a folding fund, hell I'd buy one anyway to go along side my Icrontic one. :)

By the way anyone know what a dual celeron 500 Abit BP6 would fold like? I nealy have enough parts to build my first folder.

Regards

Jim

P.S. SM 18 looks shweet!
  • edited August 2003
    Here's pics of the fitting bay cover. Sory for the crappy image, the camera decided it was going to take fuzzy pics today.
  • edited August 2003
    Here's another.

BTW, the tab there is 1 CM wide, and about 0.75 CM tall.