new machine for video editing

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Im building a machine for a friend who will be doing video editing and he needs a new box. He has $1500 to spend and that doesnt include software only the hardware. I was thinking:
-2x 240 opterons
- MSI K8T Master2-FAR
-2x CORSAIR 1GB ECC REG DDR PC-3200
-2x sata Maxtor 200GB hard drives
-sony dvd burner (dual layer)

hes gonna pick a case, but about a video card. Also he wants a htpc style case is there one with decent cooling

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited December 2004
    That should be more than capable for the job :)

I set up a machine mostly for video editing - XP3200, Gig of RAM, 3 x 120Gb HDD's (2 of them SATA in RAID 0). I'm using a 9800 Pro for the video card.

And that copes admirably with everything I can throw at it, video-wise.

I'm really not sure of a good choice for a video card, perhaps somebody else could offer a POV? I put a 9800 Pro in there at the time cos I like to game a little on that machine as well.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2004
    Is he gonna be playing any games on it? And what exactly is a HTPC style case? I mean I know what a HTPC is but... what, like a desktop case, a small tower...? Dual CPU systems require a hell of a lot more cooling than single CPU systems do, which generally means a bigger case...
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2004
    i doubt any games maybe a little here and there. a case that looks like it fits in your home stereo cabinet
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2004
    If he's not going to be playing any games, just about any video card will work. I'd put in a Radeon 9200, GeForce FX5200, or maybe a 9600/FX5600... no reason to get anything faster than that...

As for the case...
    A case that looks like it belongs in a stereo cabinet is gonna be a desktop; I just looked on Newegg. There are no desktop cases with adequate cooling for a dual CPU system. Furthermore, most of them don't take regular ATX power supplies, and there's no way in hell the included PSes will run a dual opteron system. And, to top it all off, none of them have decent hard drive cooling. The hard drives on a video editing system are gonna be running a lot, and as I managed to prove the other day, hard drives need cooling... :shakehead

You might try a 4U rackmount case (lemme find one...) but it's not going to look as sleek as a HTPC case. That's the only thing in a horizontal form factor that's going to have enough cooling, space, and power for a dual opteron system tho.
  • edited May 2006
    Sorry, spamboy, thou has tasted the wrath of the

Holy BanGrenade Of Westlake© :rarr:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    :Rocker:
    EnhanceMovies is an easy-to-use video restoration and editing software.
    If you need to improve the quality of your videos or solve one of the most common problems with video files – noisy video, too dark image, insufficient brightness and contrast, wrong white balance, interlaced video, blurred or purple image and others, or you want to add some video effects to make home videos look like an old 30s movie or very futuristic, the EnhanceMovie program is a must for you!

http://www.yaodownload.com/video-design/videoediting/enhancemovie_videoediting.htm

DIE IN A FIRE.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    :Rocker:
    EnhanceMovies is an easy-to-use video restoration and editing software.
    If you need to improve the quality of your videos or solve one of the most common problems with video files – noisy video, too dark image, insufficient brightness and contrast, wrong white balance, interlaced video, blurred or purple image and others, or you want to add some video effects to make home videos look like an old 30s movie or very futuristic, the EnhanceMovie program is a must for you!

http://www.yaodownload.com/video-design/videoediting/enhancemovie_videoediting.htm

FU(KIN SPAMMER -- GO TO HELL:necro: