Team Recruitment/Stats (idle members)

rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
edited January 2005 in Folding@Home
I've been going over the team stats and comparing them with other teams(Top 12). We aren't doing too bad, but I think we could do better.

I've titled the post "Team Recruitment/Stats (idle members)" because to me, idle members are one of the main things that can and will bring Team Short-Media's ranking down. Both members above and below me in the rankings have been idle for quite some time and that is also the case for other teams they have been on.

Idle members do not help us one bit. Why have thousands of members when only a handfull actually do any work? Would a football team win any games if only a few of their players contributed?

We definetly need more members, but members who stay active and contribute WU's are what's really needed.

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2004
    I totally agree. I started folding and havnt stoped.

rc1974, your not far behind me :)

btw, good post mate
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited December 2004
    Trogan_1000,

The same thing is true with the team members above and below you. Both are idle :mean: :banghead:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited December 2004
    I was idle for quite awhile. I stopped just short of 25,000, in fact. Lately I've been folding again, but only part-time.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2004
    Whoah whoah whoah... no personal attacks here guys... I turned in a few WUs... in October... :rolleyes:
    edited December 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    Whoah whoah whoah... no personal attacks here guys... I turned in a few WUs... in October... :rolleyes:

no personal attacks intended. I don't think that having turned in your last WU on 11-03-04 is all that bad. :rolleyes: I don't know what type of computer you have, it could be slow or fast.

The types of people I am really talking about are the ones that turn in a bunch of WU's or very few and then are idle. My biggest complaints are with the members that join and turn in one WU and quit.

These are the members near my ranking as of 12-25-04/10:30MST

396- "trippin" last WU on 04-27-03 (not on any other teams)
    397- "Paladin_Hawk" last WU on 12-24-04 (good active member)
    398- "mslydell" shows 323 WU's done (nothing on when last WU was)
    400- "requin" last WU on 09-17-04 (not on any other teams)
    401- "Dusty" last WU on 05-01-04 (not on any other teams)
    402- "x01" last WU on 06-19-03 (nick shows up on 3 teams)
    :DOne active member near me, no wonder I'm moving up so fast

No offense intended. All I am saying that it is not right for just a few members to be doing all of the work. Granted, some members may have created sub-teams or have access to multitudes of machines. Right now I am lucky enough to have access to three machines to do folding on. I have spare parts enough to build two more, but they'd be super-slow at doing WU's. If I am ever at a time where I could go idle for a while, hopefully I'll be polite enough to tell the team about it and why.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    All of Geeky's computers are fast. He doesnt buy slow systems unless its a dualie, itanium or just for fun as a toy. Look at his sig for pete's sake.:rolleyes2

Some people come and go. Some fold for awhile then quit. There isnt much we can do about it except to try and make them addicted to is as much as the rest of us.:D
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    I'm adding my friends two brand new systems soon to my folding regimen, w00t. But I'll say personally that my gaming/main rig which is the fastest (AthlonXP 2800+) gets folding turned off quite a bit because of lots of problems; video editing, gaming, all seem to have problems that go away when folding is disabled...i usually try to remember to reenable it but I bet a lot of people will fold and then when they have a problem look for the first thing to nuke that they may have added.

On a similar note; anybody know why the Windows graphical client cannot run w/ BF1942. if I have folding running and I go into a BF1942 game, it works fine until it actually starts loading the level then it minimizes the game, i try maximizing but it just reset the rez then immediately goes back and minimizes the bf1943 window again, as soon as I nuke the folding client, problem goes away.
    edited December 2004
    rc1974 wrote:
    no personal attacks intended. I don't think that having turned in your last WU on 11-03-04 is all that bad.

heh. I was just kidding. ;)

As for computers... oh, lessee.. I've got a dual P4 Xeon system w/2 2.8 Xeons @ 3.2GHz, a dual Athlon system with 2 modded XP2500s @ 1.9GHz, a 2.6GHz Athlon XP 2600m, a 3.5GHz P4E, a dual P3 system w/2 1GHz P3s, a Dell XPS laptop with a 3.4 P4E, an old Sager laptop with a 2.4 P4, and a 466MHz Celeron system. :p
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:

As for computers... oh, lessee.. I've got a dual P4 Xeon system w/2 2.8 Xeons @ 3.2GHz, a dual Athlon system with 2 modded XP2500s @ 1.9GHz, a 2.6GHz Athlon XP 2600m, a 3.5GHz P4E, a dual P3 system w/2 1GHz P3s, a Dell XPS laptop with a 3.4 P4E, an old Sager laptop with a 2.4 P4, and a 466MHz Celeron system. :p

what good does all this do us???

Geeky1 Last updated: Sat Dec 25 22:33:22 PST 2004

Date of last work unit 2004-11-03 22:09:08
    Total score 9513
    Overall rank (if points are combined) 33122 of 407405
    Active processors (within 50 days) 0
    Active processors (within 7 days) 0

I count 11 CPUs in that post about all your rigs...I count 0 folding.
    edited December 2004
    what good does all this do us???
    aaaaaaaabsolutely none at all :D
    edited December 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    All of Geeky's computers are fast. He doesnt buy slow systems unless its a dualie, itanium or just for fun as a toy. Look at his sig for pete's sake.:rolleyes2

Some people come and go. Some fold for awhile then quit. There isnt much we can do about it except to try and make them addicted to is as much as the rest of us.:D

I used to be active with Seti@Home, mainly because Art Bell talked about it on his show quite often. I was active with Seti@Home for about four years and then quit. Between the two nicks I use I had done 2486 WU's. The reasons I quit were that I was bored with it and Team Art Bell was very cliqueish. I know it was contributing to science and all, but I really don't think that aliens would contact us even if they do exist.

All being said, we need to keep active members excited about folding and try to get inactive members active again. :)
    edited December 2004
    Camman wrote:
    I'm adding my friends two brand new systems soon to my folding regimen, w00t. But I'll say personally that my gaming/main rig which is the fastest (AthlonXP 2800+) gets folding turned off quite a bit because of lots of problems; video editing, gaming, all seem to have problems that go away when folding is disabled...i usually try to remember to reenable it but I bet a lot of people will fold and then when they have a problem look for the first thing to nuke that they may have added.

On a similar note; anybody know why the Windows graphical client cannot run w/ BF1942. if I have folding running and I go into a BF1942 game, it works fine until it actually starts loading the level then it minimizes the game, i try maximizing but it just reset the rez then immediately goes back and minimizes the bf1943 window again, as soon as I nuke the folding client, problem goes away.

I've got similar problems with F@H causing problems with games, but not so much video editing.
    edited December 2004
    Although, to my credit, I DO have "SVHFH" folding (at least they should still be folding o_O) and that's 5 or 6 AXP 1800s, a 650 P3, a 600 P3, and a 500 Celeron
    edited December 2004
    :clap: we need to start folding more because as current stats go, Team MacOS X should be ahead of us within ten days and possibly ahead of SAGoons in 30 days. That means a drop in rank for our team . Right now it looks as if Team MacOS X is really churning out the WU's

So far we have a good amount of active CPU's at 1.154 per member. The teams either side of us have 0.695(SAGoons) and 1.209(Team MacOS X) per member. The problem is that are score per WU is low (36.52) as compared to Team MacOS X(48.20) and SAGoons(54.01).

:D One good thing, our team members who are active, are churning out the WU's. WU's per member are at 592 for us, 133 for SAGoons, and 201 for Team MacOS X. Points per member are good too, 21625 for us, 7183 for SAGoons, and 9712 for Team MacOS X.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited December 2004
    If we will talk about seti vs fah well then there's 2 reasons i don't run seti. First it's a high priority program. It totally knocked out my old p2 system and would prolly do the same with this one. With fah i can even game without turning it of. :)

The second is that i think that if aliens do exist and do visit us, telescopes wont be necessary to see them, a camcorder should do the trick. Untill then i'm putting my cpu-time on stuff that we know is real.

BTW even though i've been going strong for a long time lately i've began doing some heavy gaming which will take it's toll on my progress. Just so you know. Personly i think it's more important to figure out why some just fold for a while and stop that it is to find more members. What's the point of having lots of members if they just stop after a while.

Oh and one last thing: GEEKY1 GET THOSE RIGS FOLDING THIS INSTANT! :rarr::D:(
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited December 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    What's the point of having lots of members if they just stop after a while.

I recall you making a simular comment over 6 month ago and rightly so too, EyesOnly. It appears to be a fact of life.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2004
    We score lower per WU because this time has been around for a much longer time, hence the lower Team number, 93. Points were much lower back in v2 of the FAH program. When I started I got a whole bunch of 2 pointers and 1.x pointers. Nothing even came close to the 600 pointers we have now. 5 points was huge back then.
    edited December 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    We score lower per WU because this time has been around for a much longer time, hence the lower Team number, 93. Points were much lower back in v2 of the FAH program. When I started I got a whole bunch of 2 pointers and 1.x pointers. Nothing even came close to the 600 pointers we have now. 5 points was huge back then.

I guess the case is closed then.

But still, low points in the past or not is no excuse for idleness. Good excuses are, gaming, crashed system, rebuilding system, etc.

One good thing, I'll bet it safe to say that we aren't the only team that suffers from idle members or what I've now termed pop-on/pop-off members (the ones that do one or two WU and then quit).

I just hit the 3K mark and I hope to hit 10K really soon. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    rc1974 wrote:
    I've been going over the team stats and comparing them with other teams(Top 12). We aren't doing too bad, but I think we could do better.

I've titled the post "Team Recruitment/Stats (idle members)" because to me, idle members are one of the main things that can and will bring Team Short-Media's ranking down. Both members above and below me in the rankings have been idle for quite some time and that is also the case for other teams they have been on.

Idle members do not help us one bit. Why have thousands of members when only a handfull actually do any work? Would a football team win any games if only a few of their players contributed?

We definetly need more members, but members who stay active and contribute WU's are what's really needed.

I agree with that. That's why I'm doing about 2k per week of Folding points with my 2 P4's doing the work. So, id jdii1215 at Folding is back and has been since mid-October.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited December 2004
    Hope the Floding clients on my parents computers keep working

the one I have folding I can not keep on while I am deployed

total 3 comps folding

don't like running it on the on in the sig

the fans run all the time and it gets very hot, also it only uses 50% CPU :scratch:
    edited December 2004
    it only uses 50% CPU because your CPU is HT, and do you use mobilemeter?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited December 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:

Hmm... I think Geeky has some parts to donate to the SMX Project. (Or Rick's New Computer Fund) :D
    edited December 2004
    bahahahahahaaahahaha... no. :p
    edited December 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    it only uses 50% CPU because your CPU is HT, and do you use mobilemeter?

Yes and Yes
    edited December 2004
    //ot
    well, what kind of temps do you get?
    edited December 2004
    CPU 50-54
    hmm time to look into put AS5 on the CPU heat sink, and also clean it
    HD1 47-48
    HD2 50 even

ran folding in it before and the laptop temp increases 2C% but the fans are on high all the time

they get very annoying when they run like that

also i take it TDY all the time

gone more then I am here at home
    edited December 2004
    those drives are running way, way, way too hot dude. I had that problem with a single 7200rpm drive in my 5620. Those drives are rated for 50*C max. Running them over about 40 is asking for premature failure. :-/
    edited December 2004
    trying them solo

currently the 60 gig 7200 rpm is running 41C

CPU droped to 47 too

whoever thought to put 2 drives, back to back in a laptop should be shot:(

will try the 100 gig solo tomarrow, need to transfer the os to it first
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    just a heads up gibbons.

cash = money
    cache = the memory used to store info temporarily for quicker access.
    edited December 2004
    shwaip wrote:
    just a heads up gibbons.

cash = money
    cache = the memory used to store info temporarily for quicker access.

:scratch: where did i make that mistake?