SATA Driver for Nforce 4

Comments

• binsoutonfridaybinsoutonfriday banbridge, N.Ireland
    edited January 2005
    nice to see you're up and running.

so you need two floppies for this install, am i right?

one that includes files extracted from the mobo cd and another that includes files downloaded from msft.

if you can post the make-up of those two floppies it will, i'm sure, be of use to someone else with that mobo.

thanks for keepin us up to date.

gotta go...........

dinner time in banbridge.........;)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2005
    binsoutonfriday - I had the same problem installing on my Raptor 36GB until I employed your solution.

The default MSI Neo2 NVidia IDE and Raid driver floopy didn't work, but the Files you mentioned did. One difference though is dont bother making the RaidClass & BusDrv folders. Just put them all 9 files in the Root folder, that was how MSI had the previous & outdated files arranged.

The Raidtool Files had to be deleted from the MSI Driver Disk, as the updated driver and Raidtool files were too big for one Floppy

Nvidia v5.10 SATA/IDE & Raid Driver Files - just drop them all in the Floppy's root directory
  • binsoutonfridaybinsoutonfriday banbridge, N.Ireland
    edited January 2005
    another success.

yep, i think that's what spinner was suggesting.

the more i looked at it the more i thought the folders probably weren't needed.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2005
    bluethree wrote:
    There was no need for addittional drivers at the F6 floppy stage. The Raid had to be set up in stripes in the Bios with the one drive. Windows XP with service pack One was then used for the install.
    Well I'm extremely happy you've finally got it sorted.

Reading around other forums about your motherboard people didn't seem to think there was any need to use a driver disk upon OS install as they seemed to insinuate that the drive/s would be detected as standard IDE's, without the need for additional drivers, until the SATA controller drivers were installed (after the OS was setup) for which then they would be correctly listed in Windows as SATA or SCSI devices. That's why I asked you earlier to try an install with no driver disk or anything. :)

Just to clarify then for the benefit of everyone else..

--->For you to install onto your single SATA drive (on a GA-K8NF-9 specifically and probably uniquely) you simply (I say that ironicly) had to setup RAID striping on the single disk in the BIOS which (I imagine) then in turn made the disk capable of being a boot device. You then simply had to install the OS as standard without the need for the F6 method because the disk was automatically detected without additional drivers being provided. (The SATA controllers integration with the mobo chipset probably made this possible by letting the OS setup detect the disks as if they were standard IDE's)<---

Correct? :)
    edited January 2005
    Not for me.

All I did was hit "F6" and install both Nvidia Standard & Raid drivers using the Drivers files posted in the Zip files above. After which the WinxP Install detected the SATA drive (which it couldn't see before when using the MSI driver disk), I created and formated a partition,and the install proceded as usual.

No Raid strip needed for the MSI K8N Neo2.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited January 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    Not for me.

All I did was hit "F6" and install both Nvidia Standard & Raid drivers using the Drivers files posted in the Zip files above. After which the WinxP Install detected the SATA drive (which it couldn't see before when using the MSI driver disk), I created and formated a partition,and the install proceded as usual.

No Raid strip needed for the MSI K8N Neo2.
    Sorry I was just trying to clarify the install method for the GA-K8NF-9 specifically. I know it's not the typical method people have to go through to get their SATA drive working and detected for install. It would seem however the above mentioned Gigabyte board doesn't like complying with the norm'. :)

I've updated my above post to better reflect what I was saying.
  • edited January 2005
    I read everything in this thread as I am also having the hard time installing my raptor into my system.

I have a WHOLE new system going together and i can't get the os to take. I can NOW see the HD in my system however I cannot get it to READ the xp disk. The disk I have is a copy. I also have the 6 start up disk. I tried the startup disks get through all 6 of them. It then asks if i would like to install XP I hit enter saying yes then i get the blue screen of death.

GA-K8NF-9
    amd64 3500+
    2 gig corsair pc4000
    6800gt
    75 gig raptor
    2 cd roms
    1 floppy

other HD's for just storage but not getting hooked up till this sata drive and OS goes in.
    edited January 2005
    Did you install the Nvidia v5.10 Sata & IDE drivers from the zip file in post #33 using the "F6" method?
  • edited January 2005
    actually I used the other set of drivers I found in this thread. WILL try this set of drivers NOW!

let you know how it goes SHORTLY!
    edited January 2005
    Install BOTH Drivers!
  • edited January 2005
    trying both of them RIGHT now!
  • edited January 2005
    on the nvidia driver set. it has 2 options do you use BOTH of them. IF SO. I get an error of can't find nvraid.sys
    edited January 2005
    Make sure all the files are in the Floppies Root directory. Here's a rezipped version of the files...
  • edited January 2005
    nope no go! after the 6th start up disk it reboots and it only gets to the line saying

Verifying DMI Pool Data then it stops there... it wont load thew cd rom.
    edited January 2005
    Sounds like a mobo problem. Once I had a mobo freeze at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". It turns out it was a bad Floppy drive. Try a different Floppy drive if you have one. (grasping at straws)
  • edited January 2005
    i think you are RIGHT on the floppy!

i reloaded the floppy. this time i got a different error.....

have noticed its a bit more difficult to format a floppy the past few days!

in the pc I was doing all the floppy copieng etc iI am trying another floppy drive and created another disk. NO PROBLEMS this time.

trying to install yet again.

Working on it NOW!
  • edited January 2005
    since i am having some much trubles I am going to TRY and get my system Up on the IDE HD I have. THEN attempt to install the sata drive and THEN switch to it as a bootable drive.

I can't belive I am having SO MUCH troubles. I always I mean ALWAYS have a problem getting the microsoft disks to AUTOSTART. I dont care WHAT version it is. or how good the system. they never autostart.
  • edited January 2005
    dropped another HD in the IDE its up and running!

nicely also!

now to TRY and switch to XP and then install the sata drive!
    edited January 2005
    It might be your CDRW/DVDRW drive. I've had problems with Booting CDs from Lite-On CDRWs (48x & 52x) and Nec DVDRWs (1300,2500,3500) after using a Samsung CDRW/DVD-Rom (48x & 52x) I use nothing but the Sammy's for my 1st Optical drive. OEM $37 - Retail $43

The NECs are fine as DVD Burners though.
  • edited January 2005
    I have a basic model cd rom outta my IMB netvista as cd-1 and a tdk velo an the second

trying to install on an IDE drive FIRST! then i will try and install the sata drive!

more work I know BUT I just proved to myself it MB works as I was just runnin win 2000pro on it from another HD
    edited January 2005
    trying to install on an IDE drive FIRST! then i will try and install the sata drive!

I've done that to avoid SATA install problems...
    :rolleyes:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2005
    ...I can't belive I am having SO MUCH troubles. I always I mean ALWAYS have a problem getting the microsoft disks to AUTOSTART. I dont care WHAT version it is. or how good the system. they never autostart.

I think the MS cd-roms won't boot b/c of your boot order...I noticed this from earlier in one of your replies...
    ...I have the boot order set to Floppy/Hard Disk/CD Rom

IMO, this is your problem. Shouldn't boot order be floppy/cd-rom/hdd? Then you can boot from cd and setup your SATA hdds...
  • edited January 2005
    I think i ALSO tried that start up order. I may try that later on IF i have any more problems!
  • edited January 2005
    got my system totally up and running on the IDE HD. NOW I am looking to get the SATA drive to run.

since XP didn't ASK me actually to install the drivers HOW do i install them???
    edited January 2005
    Install Nvidia v5.10 Chipset drivers. Do Not install Nvidia's IDE Software though, Everything but. Dont worry, it'll ask you Yes/No for them at the end.
  • edited January 2005
    thanx all for helping out a bit.

I got her ALL DONE! running NICE.

now to start looking into OC'ing a little bit. nothing big.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    Install Nvidia v5.10 Chipset drivers. Do Not install Nvidia's IDE Software though, Everything but. Dont worry, it'll ask you Yes/No for them at the end.
    Why not install the IDE drivers?
  • edited January 2005
    Spinner wrote:

Just to clarify then for the benefit of everyone else..

--->For you to install onto your single SATA drive (on a GA-K8NF-9 specifically and probably uniquely) you simply (I say that ironicly) had to setup RAID striping on the single disk in the BIOS which (I imagine) then in turn made the disk capable of being a boot device. You then simply had to install the OS as standard without the need for the F6 method because the disk was automatically detected without additional drivers being provided. (The SATA controllers integration with the mobo chipset probably made this possible by letting the OS setup detect the disks as if they were standard IDE's)<---

Correct? :)

im hoping that this is the answer. sounds right, but he never came back to confirm.

im having the exact same problem with the exact same board and a single SATA drive. hopefully this will help me figure out how to get it in the boot sequence.

just have to figure out how to set up a RAID for a single drive... hm.

ill post back with results tomorrow. thanks.
  • edited January 2005
    im hoping that this is the answer. sounds right, but he never came back to confirm.

im having the exact same problem with the exact same board and a single SATA drive. hopefully this will help me figure out how to get it in the boot sequence.

just have to figure out how to set up a RAID for a single drive... hm.

ill post back with results tomorrow. thanks.

well even with BOTH drivers getting installed when the OS was getting installed I still couldn't ge tthe drive to be seen.

I had installed my IDE drive installe dthe OS there it automatically saw the drive asked if i want that to b emy boot drive said yes and everything was happy from there on out.

it did take longer to get the system up BUT I tell ya it was eazier to go the IDE way then move to the sata drive.
    edited January 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Why not install the IDE drivers?
    Nvidia IDE SW causes Data corruption/loss when moving multi GB files from drive to drive. Uninstalling the IDE SW fixes this problem.