no view source

edited January 2005 in Internet & Media
Is there anyway to get it so my visters on my site can not look at my source and steal it? I want to protect my hard work that i did and make sure no one takes it. I am alreay using the script no right click but you still do view source and get anything i have. :confused:

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Nope. There's no way to protect source code.

Make sure you copyright your work, and keep an eye out for copycat work by checking for phrases and images from your site on Google every now and then.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited January 2005
    You can document.write() everything, though and if you use the %codes like %20 for space, then you can make the document very difficult to read. Of course, people can still see the source, but at least it's obfuscated and takes at least a minimum of effort to convert back it to human-discernable text. Of course, this method requires the browser to not only have JavaScript capabilities, but that JavaScript be enabled. I don't know the percentages of browsers with JavaScript, but I'm guessing 99% of all users can use JavaScript. The percentage of people that disable JavaScript: no clue.
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited January 2005
    There is no way other than using an all flash website. If someone wants your code, they will get to it.

It akin to publishing something, you can't stop anyone from copying it. You can only prosecute them after the fact.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Yah... the basic problem is that the browser needs the source code to run it. There is absolutely no way to stop someone hell-bent on getting your source code.

But there might be some ways to do it so the average web programmer can't get at it. For example, if you disable right-click with JavaScript and put the actual content in a frame, "View Source" (menu) will only give them the framing page's source. You might be able to redirect a request for the content page to the framing page when not referred to by the framing page (I hope you followed that one heh). But those are just ideas and partly theoretical.